corner corner The Cat on My Shoulder: Writers and Their Cats

The Cat on My Shoulder: Writers and Their Cats
by Rogak Angowski | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by shaunesay of Olathe, Kansas USA on 10/2/2004

status (set by AsianWaterfall): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Saturday, October 02, 2004

I actually bought two copies of this, so I'd have time to read it myself, but I wanted to share it with others as it looked interesting.

Looks like a series of short essays from writers about their cats. Some of the authors are:

Lloyd Alexander
Cleveland Amory
Lilian Jackson Braun
Edward Gorey
Sue Grafton
Carolyn Hart
Kitty Kelley
Sharyn McCrumb
Barbara Mertz (aka Elizabeth Peters, aka Barbara Michaels, and the deciding vote in getting the book for me, even though I haven't read her section yet!)
Marcia Muller
Joyce Carol Oates
Nancy Pickard
Cokie Roberts

Those are about half of the people listed, I mentioned the ones I'd heard of. Going to do a bookray for this one for all my cat lovin' friends!

Journal Entry 2 by shaunesay from Olathe, Kansas USA on Sunday, October 03, 2004

BOOKRAY!

Members:
jaenelle - KS (international)
portable-solace - TX (US)
prplpec - GA (US)
tchouli - GA (international)
sonia23 - GA (international)
Megi53 - VA (international)
MaryZee - MD (US/Canada)
nwpassage - Canada (US/Canada preferred)
jessibud - Canada (US/Canada only)
tuff517 - Texas (anywhere)
caligula03 - CA (international) (towards end)
Sterile - UK (international)
libertine101 - Australia (Aus/NZ preferred)
Pluisje - New Zealand (international)
AsianWaterfall - Japan/Florida(Jul/Aug) - International

And we made it to the end! WOO!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjaenellewing from Orlando, Florida USA on Thursday, October 14, 2004

I got this in the mail this morning! Thanks shaunesay! :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingjaenellewing from Orlando, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 09, 2004

I enjoyed this a lot! I love cats and writing so it fit me very well -- I enjoyed the writers' anecdotes about their own cats, past and present.

Emailed the next person about sending off the book, will do so as soon as I hear anything from them. :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingjaenellewing at US Post Office in Alta Vista, Kansas USA on Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Released on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 at about 3:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at US Post Office in Alta Vista, Kansas USA.

Okay, fessup time. Somehow, in my somewhat cluttered house and my very cluttered life, I forgot to send this to portable-solace like I was sposeta. :( But now book and my mind are back together again, so I'll mail it off next trip to the post office. Sorry, y'all.

Journal Entry 6 by portable-solace from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, January 13, 2005

It's here! I have a couple of bookring books ahead of it, but I couldn't help myself. I had to start reading it right away!

Journal Entry 7 by portable-solace from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

I've participated in quite a few bookrings and bookrays since I've joined Bookcrossing. However, this bookray book has been the best read by far! I loved hearing the stories about each of their pets and comparing them to my own cat. A lot of the stuff that the authors would describe would apply directly towards the relationship between my cat and myself, especially crawling across the keyboard, laying on my papers for attention, and knocking things off once I've turned my back. Needless to say, I have to purchase this book for my permanent collection. I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Will be mailing to prplpec on 1/18.

Journal Entry 8 by prplpec from Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Thursday, February 10, 2005

Received in today's mail. I'm looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 9 by prplpec from Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I LOVED this book! Thanks so much, Shaunesay, for sharing it with us. I especially liked reading the essays of the authors I already know, but liked hearing from the others as well. The interesting thing is that we can all identify with these authors and their cats because we all spend time at our own desks with our computers, and know just how cats behave when we're trying to work! Even if all we do is send e-mails and read the bookcrossing site, we spend a lot of time at our desks. My cats wanted to be on my lap, but I found it too hard to type, so I wouldn't let them there for very long. They both passed away a few years ago, but I still enjoy reading about cats!
In the mail today to tchouli.

Journal Entry 10 by prplpec from Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Forgot to say, the only thing I DIDN'T like about this book is that it smells like smoke! :( I've never had that experience with a book before, and I'm sure I must have been in a ring or ray with smokers before.
I tried to get rid of the smell by putting scented fabric softener sheets in between some pages--it didn't help at all! :(

Journal Entry 11 by tchouli from Snellville, Georgia USA on Saturday, February 26, 2005

it has arrived!

Journal Entry 12 by tchouli from Snellville, Georgia USA on Friday, March 04, 2005

very good - many authors that i read.

mailed today to sonia23
enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by sonia23 from Hiram, Georgia USA on Saturday, March 12, 2005

Got this yesterday. It looks wonderful. Will post again after I read it.

***************************************
Update March 16, 2005
I really enjoyed this book. A quick, entertaining read. A little heavy on the mystery writers, but that's ok. I'll always remember the quote "In nearly all lovers of cats one finds a certain contempt for the stupidity of mankind.
~Antrim Crawford". Ain't it the truth?
:-)

Mailing today (3/18/05) to Megi53.

Journal Entry 14 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Waiting inside my screen door when I came home from work today -- what a treat!

Some of my favorite authors are included: Helen Gurley Brown, Sue Grafton, Lilian Jackson Braun ...

I love the sketch Tomie DePaola contributed!

Journal Entry 15 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

This book didn't seem to be edited much if any -- from clues in different author interviews, it seemed that Rogak called these people up, asked them the same questions from a list ("Do you think like a cat?") and put everything they said in the book.

This clued me in to some authors who sound like I'd enjoy reading their books because they're so articulate: John Casey, Ed Gorman, and Jay Parini.

Richard Scarry's take on lions was verrry interesting! And I absolutely loved Jan Morris' observation:

"that look in the eye of a cat...a kind of smouldering look. I don't know if it expresses resentment; maybe it's a resentment at being domesticated at all. I think somewhere in the depths of their subconscious they regret it. Wouldn't you?"

Mailing to MaryZee this afternoon.

Journal Entry 16 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Forgot to say -- yes, prplpec, it smelled terribly of smoke when it got to my house, too. But I wrapped it in a half-dozen sheets of newspaper and let it sit for a few days. Now it's fine. (I learned that trick in library school.)

Need to mention too, prplpec, your Kentucky Fried Chicken postcard was a real winner. Can you believe I didn't even notice the chicken beak until I looked at the description on the back??

Journal Entry 17 by prplpec from Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Megi53--thanks for the tip about wrapping the book in newspapers--I'll remember that! And I'm glad you enjoyed the postcard of our "Big Chicken"!

Journal Entry 18 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 02, 2005

This arrived safely in the mail today. It was raining cats and dogs when I went out earlier today (should've known there'd be a cat book in the mail), so I made hubby go out for the mail this evening, after dark, when the rain finally stopped. When he came in I asked him which book was here, he gave me the package and said "The one you want," figuring I want all the books I get ;)

ETA - I just started Poisonwood Bible yesterday, but I should be able to work this small book in in the next couple of weeks. Fortunately, this was the first bookring (of several I'm expecting) to arrive.

Journal Entry 19 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, April 04, 2005

Couldn't resist the cat book. Essays are a quick and easy read. I'm wondering how many of these were not written specially for this book. But they were all enjoyable, and I learned Barbara Michaels lives about 40 miles from me - who knew? (I really do need to start reading her stuff ;)

Thanks for sharing Shaunesay!

Sent to Nwpassage on Friday, 4/8.

Journal Entry 20 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Monday, April 18, 2005

Book arrived today, thanks so much! I will start reading it immediately and have it on its way again ASAP.

From the front & back covers:

CAT-TALES AND APPRECIATIONS
THE CAT ON MY SHOULDER
WRITERS AND THEIR CATS
EDITED BY LISA ANGOWSKI ROGAK

"I have friends who would say that my cats run my house, but it doesn't seem that way to me."
-- Alice Adams

"Cats provide company, but not to the point that they interfere with your thought process."
-- Helen Gurley Brown

"I think cats have a huge sense of humor. They love it when you say, 'No, No, No'..."
-- Cleveland Amory

"The main thing that's wrong with cats is that they don't take no for an answer. I'm like that sometimes, but they're more persistent than I am."
-- Donald E. Westlake

"I prefer to have cats around rather than humans when I'm writing because they don't come up with ideas or little suggestions."
-- Sharyn McCrumb

"Some days I forget I'm living with cats and think they're really little humans in cat suits."
-- Kitty Kelley

"I think people who have cats give better backrubs. Cats very quickly instruct you how they want to be petted."
-- John Casey

"I like cats because they're perfect."
-- Sue Grafton

Journal Entry 21 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Just finished this quick & easy read. Kinda ironic that this arrived when it did, as I just finished Cleveland Amory's Polar Bear trilogy, so it was neat to see him and Polar Bear again in this book. :) Still, this wasn't quite as good as I was hoping it would be. It seemed like a low-effort project on the part of the writer; just call up a bunch of authors, ask them all the same dozen questions, and put their answers together with their photos to make a book.

But there were some really cute stories, and a few of the authors seemed interesting enough I may seek out some of their work to add to Mt. TBR. I think the best story was Ed Gorman's, about the kitten who helped him stay off the booze at a crucial time in his life. My favorite quote was from Barbara Mertz: "I think it's degrading to treat them like children. I treat them like cats, and they treat me like, well, a rather large and stupid cat."

Thanks so much, shaunesay! I'm really glad I had the opportunity to read this. I have jessibud's address and will have this in the mail to her Thursday, 19 April 2005.

Journal Entry 22 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 02, 2005

This book arrived today and looks like a fun read. And oh!! I have such a great postcard to tuck into its pages, as it continues its journey! I don't know how to add a picture to my journal notes so I will tell you that it is a postcard I bought a long time ago and just saved because I liked it. It's a black and white photo of a woman reading a book and she is holding ... yes! a cat on her shoulder! On the back of the postcard is printed "Amelia Van Buren sitting with cat on shoulder c.1891"

How cool is that?!

I cannot tell a lie, though. I made the mistake once of leaving it on the table for a few minutes, unattended, and one of my cats seemed to like it, as well. There is a small nibble taken out of the top left corner of the postcard. Oh well, I guess there's nothing to do but forgive....

I have a busy week this week but I hope to be able to begin this book on the weekend. I will journal again once I'm done. Thanks, shaunesay, for including me in this ring.

Journal Entry 23 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Sorry this has taken me so long! It is off to tuff517 today!!

It was an enjoyable read. I noticed a sort-of bias towards mystery writers and I wonder if this was intentional. Since I don't read many mysteries, myself, there were many names I was not familiar with but that didn't really detract from enjoying it.

I added a postcard to this book that fits perfectly and maybe can be used as a bookmark!

Thank you, shaunesay, for including me in this bookring!

Journal Entry 24 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Thursday, June 23, 2005

Received this yesterday, I can't wait to start it.

Journal Entry 25 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Monday, June 27, 2005

This was a great book! I really enjoyed reading each and every 'interview' and was happy to see that others think the same way as I do about my cats. It's a strange sort of love, but simple. Not all cats are aloof, I have one cat [with thumbs] who loves me to death and has even gone so far as trying to put his head in my mouth while kissing me. My other cat could care less about me, except when she wants some 'kitty lovin''. Thanks for sharing! I'll get this in the mail to the next person ASAP.

Heading to caligula03. DC# 0103 8555 7494 6119 6097

Journal Entry 26 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Friday, July 01, 2005

Book has arrived. It looks WONDERFUL!

Journal Entry 27 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Saturday, July 16, 2005

Published authors are not necessarily the best at writing about cats. A good many of these essays read as laundry lists of cats currently and previously owned with some gushing sentiment thrown in to the mix. Some of the authors though had a little more fun with their essays. My favorite essays of the lot are by: Lloyd Alexander, Edward Gorey, Barbara Mertz, and Sue Grafton.

Journal Entry 28 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Sunday, July 17, 2005

Landrellec asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 29 by caligula03 at on Sunday, July 17, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (8/2/2005 UTC) at

Mailing to Sterile.

Journal Entry 30 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 28, 2005

It's here! I must confess to having a quick peek before journaling the book! I have to say that I may be a literature dunce because out of all the contributors, I only recognise immediately 5 names! But I will soldier on and read the book!

Journal Entry 31 by Sterile at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, October 10, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (10/10/2005 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Controlled release as a ring to Libertine101 Australia. 10 October

Journal Entry 32 by libertine101 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, December 06, 2005

It has arrived. Thank you.

Journal Entry 33 by libertine101 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, December 26, 2005

I was not familiar with most of these authors, but I guess that did not really detract.
Some of these were amusing/interesting. Some I found a tad annoying. The author seemed to ask stock questions to each writer which was a lazy, I thought. She could have varied them and tailored them to whom they were addressed to.
Nevertheless, a great concept - the thughts of writers on cats in general and stories of their own cats.
The cover illustration makes me laugh, btw. :)

Journal Entry 34 by libertine101 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, December 28, 2005

POsted off to Pluisje today.

Journal Entry 35 by Pluisje on Thursday, January 12, 2006

Arrived safely this morning...the cover is funny, all the different cat poses are very very familiar. It won't be long before my cat will try and sleep on this book while I'm trying to read it.
I've just finished a book so I should not be too long I hope.

Journal Entry 36 by Pluisje on Thursday, February 02, 2006

I loved reading about cats although after a while you start recognising the questions. Some of the essays were very well written and entertaining, others read as a quite dry list of answers.
I've actually read the book the day after I received it and pm-ed the next in line for the address-no reply so far.

By the way Jessibud- I loved the postcard of Amelia van Buren with the cat on het shoulder, very appropriate. I looked on the internet if I could find the pic there to upload it to the journal but I could only find the one where the cat is sitting in front of her-oh well!

Journal Entry 37 by Pluisje on Thursday, February 09, 2006

Posted to AsianWaterfall today-the last one on the ray-list!

Journal Entry 38 by AsianWaterfall from Deland, Florida USA on Sunday, February 26, 2006

Arrived a few days ago. I hope to get this read in a reasonable amount of time, classes and homework permitting. Thanks so much for sharing this book! :)