corner corner So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading (hardcover)

So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading (hardcover)
by Sara Nelson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by yllus on 9/30/2004

status (set by millycat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by yllus on Thursday, September 30, 2004

From Publishers Weekly
"I have a New Year's plan," Nelson writes in the prologue to this charming diary of an unapologetic "readaholic." Her goal: to read a book a week for a year and try "to get down on paper what I've been doing for years in my mind: matching up the reading experience with the personal one and watching where they intersect-or don't." Armed with a list of books, the author, a Glamour senior contributing editor, the New York Observer's publishing columnist and a veteran book reviewer, begins her 52-week odyssey. She doesn't necessarily stick to her list, which includes classics ("the homework I didn't do in college"), books everyone's talking about (like David McCullough's John Adams) and titles as diverse as Call It Sleep, by Henry Roth, and Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting. But she succeeds in sharing her infectious enthusiasm for literature in general, the act of reading and individual books and authors. Along the way, Nelson unearths treasures. She becomes enamored of David Mura's Turning Japanese, a memoir that helps her understand her Japanese-American husband better, and looks to Henry Dunow's The Way Home, about coaching baseball, while trying to help her second-grade son improve his athletic skills. Most readers will probably come away from this love letter to books eager to pursue some of Nelson's favorites-Nora Ephron's Heartburn, perhaps, or Emma Donoghue's Slammerkin-which is what makes Nelson's reflections inspiring and worthwhile.

Journal Entry 2 by yllus at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (10/3/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sending to redhouse as RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2006

Arrived this morning. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, April 14, 2007

Great book! I've been reading this a chapter at a time in my lunch breaks at work and it is perfect for that, except it's a bit hard to stop at the end of a chapter put down and get back to work sometimes :)

Sending to Triggerfish as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 5 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007

Just arrived! This book looks delightful. Thank you, redhouse, for agreeing to this trade.
There don't seem to be many copies of this registered in U.K. so I think I'll offer it as a ring once read.

Journal Entry 6 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 01, 2007

This was an enjoyable, easy read but maybe not quite what I was expecting. I think I expected more about passsionate reading and less about Nelson's life - but that might not have hung together too well as a book. What Nelson has produced is a memoir framed around the significance of reading in her life. This is a very American(USA) book and many of the authors meant little to me. I was delighted to see that Nelson had read The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint, a little known book, which I was lucky enough to pick up at my BX meetup group. I was also pleased that Nelson enjoyed The Crimson Petal and the White but thought that she was wrong to give away the plot of Faber's Under the Skin. The one book I am interested in reading now is Ephron's Heartburn.

Journal Entry 7 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 02, 2007

By participating you are agreeing to adhere to the following courteous guidelines!
1) Everybody should leave a journal entry when receiving the book, after reading it and when they post it on!
2) PM the next person for a mailing address before you finish the book. If that person doesn't answer within 7 days MAX then let me know.
3) Aim to read the book within a month- other people want to read it too!
4) You can send the book via surface mail or airmail- that is completely up to you.
5) If you find you don't have the time to read it when it's your turn, please PM me and I'll move you to a later slot.
6) Enjoy

AnnevO Neth
Lukutoukka Fin
boirina Portugal
fairy-dust UK
back to Triggerfish UK <-- arrived on 21st march 2008.

Journal Entry 8 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Posted book to Annodyne today. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 9 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 03, 2007

Wow, that was quick! I read up to page 5 while waiting for my computer to boot up, and can see already that it is the sort of book that it is easy to get drawn in to.

However, I'm going to have to exercise iron discipline for now as I am one third way through another book (sigh). Looking forward to reading this treat!

Journal Entry 10 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 10, 2007

I've really enjoyed having this volume of short essays based on Sara Nelson's "year of passionate reading" as a companion over the last few days.

Like Triggerfish, I did expect more about books and less about the author's life, and wished I'd actually heard of more of the books she mentions, which I suspect are more familiar to American readers. However, Sara Nelson comes across as a lively kindred spirit whose observations are bound to resonate with anyone with a passion for books and reading.

Which of us hasn't promised ourselves "just another chapter" before doing the washing/picking the kids up from school/putting the light out and finally going to sleep? It's good to know there are other addicts out there, especially ones who can write about it!

Another mark in her favour - she gives the wonderful The Crimson Petal and The White a good press (but why is she is so scathing about another of my favourites - Everything is Illuminated?)

This is a great choice for a bookring Triggerfish -thank you for sharing.

I've got rainbowandrain's address, and will be posting it on very soon.

(Edited to add that it was posted 11/5/07.)

Journal Entry 11 by bookwormteacher from Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 12, 2007

Arrived today- will read asap!

edited 13/05
OK I finished this about two minutes ago and I loved it! I love any books about books and it was filled with so many 'That is just like me!' moments. It was lovely to see there are other people like me out there and I managed to add a few new books to my wish list- not what I planned but hey.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to read it, it had me glued.

I am requesting the next address and it will be posted on sometime this week.

Journal Entry 12 by wingraeliz64wing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Received today. Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 13 by wingraeliz64wing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007

Like other readers I had expected more about reading and less about her life and I wish I had read more of the books she was writing about, but I still enjoyed the book very much.

Journal Entry 14 by wingraeliz64wing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Posted to bluecat07 today.

Journal Entry 15 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Monday, June 25, 2007

The book arrived today safe and sound. Thanks for sending it, raeliz64! I hope I will get to read this one quite soon.

Journal Entry 16 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Sunday, July 15, 2007

Although I should have read another bookring book I flipped through the bookring books Friday night and somehow started reading this book. I got hooked and read it in three days. I really liked it! I think the mix of Saras everyday life and the criticism of the books she read was in a good balance. It was fun to read and gave me some titles to add to Mount TBR. As an European I found it interesting to hear about American authors and look some of them up later.

Thanks for this stimulating read, Triggerfish!
The Book will be on its way to shimi in Norway tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

This arrived safely in my mailbox today, so thanks bluecat07 for sending it to me! It looks like a delightful read, so I plan to pick it up very soon! :)

Journal Entry 18 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, August 05, 2007

I was actually tempted to start reading this book right away (and I did get started on the first few pages as soon as it was out of the envelope too), but it arrived in the middle of another bookring book and just before the publishing of Harry Potter 7, so it just had to wait, didn't it?! :) Now I have finished it, though, and it definitely was a nice little read. Like others have commented, I think I expected it to be more about the books she read, but found the stories about the importance of reading in the author's life just as entertaining... maybe because some things felt quite familiar, while some of the actual books were less known to me. In short, a very enjoyable read, and there also were a couple of titles that intrigued me, so I will keep an eye open for those.

I'll be PMing ragsrobin now, and send the book her way as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 19 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, August 06, 2007

This book will be mailed to ragsrobin tomorrow! :)

Journal Entry 20 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, August 10, 2007

Yay! Looking forward to this one, just need to finish my current reads first ;)

Journal Entry 21 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, October 11, 2007

This book arrived in the Netherlands safely today. It will have to wait a bit because there are several other bookrings at my place at the moment; I'll try my best to start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 22 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, October 12, 2007

Ooops. AnnevO beat me to it (sorry if this messes up the status system). Anyway:

Unfortunately not as good as I’d hoped. Like many of the previous journallers I would have liked more books and less life, I guess, but my main gripes were with Nelson’s way of presenting herself and her reading.

Firstly, she talks about her “discovery” that you really don’t have to finish books you don’t like as if it’s something profound - a rite of passage, “growing up” - which rather irritated me, but then she goes on to say that she doesn’t want to discuss or give her opinion on books she’s given up on. What? You read 200 pages of a 400 page novel and then decide you really can’t be bothered to finish it, but you maintain that you don’t have the “right” to say that the book sucked (or wasn’t quite to your taste) since you didn’t stick with it to the bitter end? Seriously, if a novel doesn’t manage to capture your attention sufficiently to make you finish it has fundamentally failed in its object and you’re entitled to say whatever you like (well, ok, I’d stay away from such statements as “the ending sucked” if you haven’t actually read the ending, but you know what I mean…). It made me suspect that Nelson really hasn’t “grown up” and that she’s still uncomfortable about leaving books unfinished, for all her protestations that this is something she has learned to do.

Secondly: The project itself. She partly reads books for a living, for goodness sakes, and still 50 books a year seems to have been a daunting task? Even last year, when I really didn’t read a lot (I don't get paid to read, unfortunately), I read that much, and I’m up to 43 (and two halves) this year, despite giving birth in January (which everyone told me would be the death of reading novels, as I’d never be allowed to, or indeed able to, concentrate for long enough). I’m not impressed.

Despite this, I rather enjoyed the book, so don't get scared off. It's just easier to put one's finger on what's not good than what's good about books, I find.

Journal Entry 23 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, October 12, 2007

I'll just make another journal entry to fix the system. Norwegian post must be faster than you thought ;-)

Journal Entry 24 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, November 12, 2007

I've decided this is one of the books I'm not going to struggle through. I give up. I do not like Nelson's style and I had hoped to read more about books and less about the Nelson family.

I'll be sending the book to the next participant as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 25 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, November 30, 2007

I received the book yesterday and finished it today. Narrative was nice, but I was a little disappointed. The book is more about Nelson's family life than the books she read during the year. Besides, I can't help it that the author seemed to me a little superficial person (for example "forgetting" the people who don't like same books as she). I like different books than some of my friends and we get along nicely. I think it's interesting to know people who like different things. Of course, some things in the book may be exaggerated to make it humouristic or "more readable" or something like that. :)

It seems that the next stop for this book will be in Portugal.

Journal Entry 26 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, December 23, 2007

I sent this a few days ago to Boirina. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 27 by boirina from Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, December 31, 2007

The book got here safely today.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 28 by boirina from Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Great title, but I must say I expected something else. :)

The book is on its way to fairy-dust.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 29 by fairy-dust from Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 17, 2008

This arrived on Friday - thanks boirina!

Journal Entry 30 by fairy-dust from Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

You know, I just can't make my mind up about this book. Like a lot of people there were times where I thought there was just too much life not enough books - but at other times I thought it would have been nice for her to have gone in to a bit more detail! Like, the chapter where she reflects on her husband's American-Japanese upbringing - I think it would have been more interesting if she'd gone in to a bit more detail. I really am completely undecided! It wasn't what I was expecting. I thought she'd maybe compare what was going on in the books to something relevent in her life whereas a lot of the time she was describing what made her choose a certain book or how it compared to other books she'd read. I think I read "reading experience" to mean what she was actually reading, not what she was doing at the time she was reading. And sometimes, I felt like I was just reading a book of book reviews (you can definitely tell she used to do that for a living!) but even though it wasn't what I expected, I did enjoy it. There are many "Oh my god, that's so me!" moments in the book (although like Lukutoukka I was quite shocked when she starts talking about how she feels less for people when they don't like the same books as she does - I'm surprised she even likes her husband at all!)

It is nice to see that there are people out there who feel the same way about books that I do and this is definitely a book for Bookcrossers! Although I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying not to add any books to your wish list. Despite having not heard of quite a few of the books and authors mentioned (I think maybe others are right when they suggest they might be more well know in the US), I've come away with quite a few books to add to my list! Thanks for sharing Triggerfish - I'll post it back to you soon. (As soon as there's less chance of me getting blown away on the way to the post office!)

Journal Entry 31 by fairy-dust from Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Posted out to Triggerfish today - thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 32 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 21, 2008

Book arrived back today, thank you fairy-dust. Also thanks to everyone for being such great bookring participants!

Journal Entry 33 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, April 20, 2008

Selected from the table of temptation at the Convention

Journal Entry 34 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, July 26, 2008

A fascinating account of the how the author deals with her challenge of a book a week for a year. The book is full of personal stories and snippets and books titles and authors. I read the book over about a week and made a note of all the books & authors she mentions and may well attempt a challenge of my own!

Journal Entry 35 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, August 11, 2008

Following a post made on my Live Journal this is off traveling on a book ray:

LyzzyBee
elhamisabel
Katie1980

Journal Entry 36 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, August 23, 2008

Received with thanks today. And so many previous readers (waves). I will probably read this over the bank holiday weekend, as I have a vile cold and could do with a nice book to read in little chunks like this. I will then fumigate it and send it on to Elham!

Journal Entry 37 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2008

A very quick read, devoured in an evening. I did enjoy this summary of a year's reading, but I did wonder how a self-confessed bookaholic and reviewer thought it would be a challenge to read a book per week for a year. I liked best the bits about how doing the challenge affected her reading choice and made her wobble at times - I found this the other way when I was trying to do a book diet and "only" read 2 books a week a couple of years ago*. Anyway she read some interesting books, and a few that I know, it was nice seeing Brady Udall's "Edgar Mint" mentioned and her ruminations on reading, on reading books recommended by or, worse, written by, friends, were interesting. Not a book I loved, but nothing to dislike there.

Will send on to ElhamIsabel after a suitable period where it can cast off any germs I might have inadvertently donated to the BookRay!

Journal Entry 38 by LyzzyBee at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 29, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/30/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting to Elhamisabel tomorrow.

Journal Entry 39 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, September 07, 2008

I received this book yesterday and am nearly through by now. Just looked who was next on the list, when I realised I had not journalled it yesterday.

Thanks very much, AnglersRest and LyzzyBee!

Journal Entry 40 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, September 07, 2008

Finished it.

Somehow I had expected something slightly different, more book related, less personal stuff. But still it wasn't bad. It wasn't mind blowing good either, to be honest. Just OK.

Things I noticed:
- she doesn't care for poetry or short stories much, just like me.
- Tuesdays With Morrie didn't do it for her, just like it didn't do it for me either
- the only book I want to read after finishing this is "Kitchen Confidential". I was secretly afraid there would be more but her style of talking about the books she read didn't make me want to read them.
- all in all her life is that of a working mother and wife in New York. Even her reading choices are more or less based on it. That's at least what it looked to me.

Journal Entry 41 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I sent it to the next reader yesterday.

Journal Entry 42 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 13, 2008

Arrived safely with me yesterday, and I've started reading it already! So far, it's not a bad read, but obviously I will write more when I've finished it. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to elhamisabel for sending it to me :o)

Journal Entry 43 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finished yesterday. Not a bad book - I quite enjoyed it. I would like to add some of the books spoken about to my wishy list, but I almost daren't as it's so long already and Mt Toobie is huge too!!
As no-one else is on the list after me, I may read this again, as I pretty much shot through it first time round. Then I'll take it to a meet, I expect.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 44 by katie1980 at The Cherry Tree OBCZ in Steventon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 31, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/31/2009 UTC) at The Cherry Tree OBCZ in Steventon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

To be taken to the meet today. I 'm not going to read it again with all the other books still on my shelves, so I'm taking it to the meet in the hope that it finds a new reader who enjoys it lots. If there's ever been a likely place to release it where it might find an appreciative finder, this is it!

Journal Entry 45 by millycat from Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 31, 2009

Picked up at the meet today, you're right it's an excellent place to have released it!

Journal Entry 46 by millycat at Forest Cafe OBCZ in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/28/2009 UTC) at Forest Cafe OBCZ in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

the title says it all, restocking the cafe shelves with this one.