corner corner Without Reservations : The Travels of an Independent Woman

Without Reservations : The Travels of an Independent Woman
by Alice Steinbach | Travel
Registered by eureka79 of Vernon, Vermont USA on 10/20/2004

status (set by AnnaLibrarian): available

Journal Entry 1 by eureka79 from Vernon, Vermont USA on Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Pre-numbered label used for registration.
****************************************
In the tradition of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea and Frances Mayes's Under the Tuscan Sun, in Without Reservations we take time off with Pulitzer Prize winner Alice Steinbach as she explores the world and rediscovers what it means to be a woman on her own.

"In many ways, I was an independent woman," writes Alice Steinbach, a single working mother, in this captivating book. "For years I'd made my own choices, paid my own bills, shoveled my own snow, and had relationships that allowed for a lot of freedom on both sides." Slowly, however, she saw that she had become quite dependent in another way: "I had fallen into the habit . . . of defining myself in terms of who I was to other people and what they expected of me." Who am I, she wanted to know, away from the things that define me--my family, children, job, friends? Steinbach searches for the answer to this provocative question in some of the most exciting places in the world: Paris, where she finds a soul mate in a Japanese man; Oxford, where she takes a course on the English village; Milan, where she befriends a young woman about to be married. Beautifully illustrated with postcards Steinbach wrote home to herself to preserve her spontaneous impressions, this revealing and witty book will transport readers instantly into a fascinating inner and outer journey, an unforgettable voyage of discovery.
****************************************
Reserved for Bonnie85 from WW/GDT-Booktalk

Journal Entry 2 by eureka79 from Vernon, Vermont USA on Thursday, January 06, 2005

Sending to Bonnie in Minnesota 1.6.05 Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Bodannah from Herman, Minnesota USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

This book has been on my wishlist for a while, so glad Erica traded with me. It looks like a great read...yet another book I will look forward to reading!

Journal Entry 4 by immcguyver from Painesville, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I got this book from another member at paperbackswap.com

After I'm done, I'll repost it there and send it on it's way!

Journal Entry 5 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 31, 2009

Received this from PaperBackSwap a few years ago. Haven't read it yet and I'm trying to reduce my book collection before I move, so it's time to pass it along to someone else.