corner corner ! I Capture The Castle (BOOKRING)

! I Capture The Castle (BOOKRING)
by Dodie Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by AlexInLeeds of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 11, 2004

status (set by riverwillow): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by AlexInLeeds from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 11, 2004

Duplicate copy bought for bookcrossing. I read it on a bookring where everyone (including me) raved about it.

See:

Journal Entry 2 by AlexInLeeds from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 17, 2004

Book Ring Rules (Adapted from psychjo and kleptokitty)

1) Everybody should leave a journal entry when receiving the book and after the read! Please let us all know what you think about it...
2) Also PM the next person on the list for a mailing address and when that person doesn't answer within 7 days MAX! please PM the one after...
3) Everybody should also try to read the book soon (max - one month?)- but in a joyful speed. It's not about how many books someone can read within a certain amount of time - it's about enjoying it...
4) You can send the book via surface mail or airmail - that is completely up to you.
5) If you find you don't have the time to read it when it's your turn please PM and I'll move you to a later slot.
6) Enjoy :-)

charlenemartel (Canada)
lbis3 (Canada)
...
back to me (UK).

If you want to join this ring, PM me.

Journal Entry 3 by AlexInLeeds at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 20, 2004

Released 9 yrs ago (9/20/2004 UTC) at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

On its way.

Journal Entry 4 by indielibrarian on Wednesday, September 22, 2004

received in the post today - thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by indielibrarian on Friday, October 01, 2004

Oh, what a lovely book. Incredibly evocative and wonderfully written.

It's just like the Midsummer Eve perfume Cassandra adores - sweet and heady, but with deep undertones.

I was really sorry to finish reading this. In spirit, it's like one of my favourite warm and fuzzy books - Miss Pettigrew. I may end up getting my own copy - a perfect rainy afternoon indoors comfort book.

Onto Sandyundead when I get an address

Journal Entry 6 by sandyundead from Sebastopol, Crimea or Avtonomna Respublika Krym Ukraine on Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Thanks daemonwolf and indielibrarian. I just have to finish a German ring book, and then I will be on to this.

Journal Entry 7 by sandyundead from Sebastopol, Crimea or Avtonomna Respublika Krym Ukraine on Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Thanks for this daemonwolf and indielibrarian. This book was a lot more grown-up than I was expecting, but no less fascinating for all that. It was lovely to see inside Cassandras mind and understand why she was doing what she was doing. This will be going on to Molyneux as soon as I have an address and time to get to the Post Office!

Journal Entry 8 by sandyundead from Sebastopol, Crimea or Avtonomna Respublika Krym Ukraine on Friday, October 22, 2004

This is off to Molyneux this weekend - enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 04, 2004

This book was waiting for me on my return from holiday this week. I'm going to start reading it tonight!

Thank you Daemonwolf - and Sandyundead who posted it to me! :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 14, 2004

This book just didn't 'grab' me as much as I'd expected, I'm not sure why - maybe I'm just not in the right mood to read a book like this at the moment! I won't hold it up & will be posting it on to Anfield tomorrow.

OOPS! Just found I still have this book - sorry! Will definitely post it off today...just off to put it in the car!

Journal Entry 11 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, November 25, 2004

Arrived safely today,thank you Molyneux (and Daemonwolf). I should get to it in the next 10-15 days.

Journal Entry 12 by AlexInLeeds from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 12, 2004

Hi, just an update. I'm not posting any books out between now and January 5th for fear of losing them in the Yule deluge of post and would ask that this book is held back till then too. Happy holidays, all. :)

Journal Entry 13 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, December 17, 2004

I finished this last night. It was slow to get going I have to say, but when it did, it did! The writing all the way through was superb, it was never a chore to read and I loved the narrator's honesty about her situation. This is most definitely a book I would not have read without BC, thank you Daemonwolf.
I will hold it back as per instructions and post to squirk on the 5th January.

Journal Entry 14 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, January 06, 2005

Off in the post to Squirk today.

Journal Entry 15 by squirk from West Norwood, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 08, 2005

Received safe and well today - many thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by squirk from West Norwood, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

An excellent read, all the more so for being gentle. I like books written as journals as I've always kept a diary and it's great to be able to read someone else's (even if it is fictional). The characters really kept me interested throughout and there was a dog and cat involved, which always helps. I think Stephen was hard done-by and the best catch of the lot.

I must rent the film now to see how it was done, though I'm always a little disappointed by films and the scenes and characters probably won't match those in my head.

Off to Amanida soon. Thank you Daemonwolf for a great read.

Journal Entry 17 by Amanida from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, February 19, 2005

Received from Squirk - thanks! Goes in at 2nd from top of mt tbr.

Journal Entry 18 by Amanida from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, February 26, 2005

A pleasant easy read, that made me look forward to summer.
I'm now off to the post office to send it to Ftarazu in Portugal (Suh has dropped out).

Journal Entry 19 by Ftarazu from Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, March 07, 2005

Just got the book.
It will be read ASAP. Looking forward to start...
Thanks Amanida

Journal Entry 20 by Ftarazu from Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, May 08, 2005

Just finished it. I must say I expected a whole lot more from the book. I really liked the way we could live their lives throught Cassandra's fellings but I thought the story was a bit boring...
It will be of to Wandering when I have her address

Journal Entry 21 by wingwanderingwing from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, May 19, 2005

Received yesterday, and currently to be found on top of mount TBR (steadily growing, again). Very artsy bookmark, nice!

Journal Entry 22 by wingwanderingwing from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 12, 2005

This book truly got me captured! Good writing, nice characters. I just kept on reading, though I usually am not very fond of books written in the 'I-perspective'. This sure is a pleasant exception.

Thanks for sharing this book, daemonwolf! I will get it to Olifant soon...

[edit] To save the postage, this book will be handed over on the next meeting, June 26th, in Castricum.

Journal Entry 23 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2005

Via MaaikeB in Utrecht now.

Journal Entry 24 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, July 02, 2005

"Blast Neil!" she (= Rose) cried furiously. I would rather see her furious than desperate - it made me think of the day she turned on a bull that was chasing us. (It turned out to be a rather oddly shaped cow.)

A quick and easy read. A real holiday (Neil would say vacation) book too, you feel good afterwards and the writing is light-hearted and funny. I laughed out loud when Rose and Cassandra came back from London with their aunt’s animal furs (I won’t tell more for I‘ll spoil it for readers to come). I also like the setting: English countryside, with an old castle and tower versus modern London. And likeable characters, the slightly eccentric English Mortmain family, the talkative Americans. What surprised me most is that the book is written in 1949. It has such a modern tone to it.

Thanks for sharing daemonwolf. Book will travel to MaaikeB next week.

She (=Heloïse, the dog) behaved beautifully on the journey, except that after we changed into the London train she took a little boy's cake away from him. I quickly thanked him for giving it to her and he took my word for it that he had meant to.

Journal Entry 25 by MaaikeB from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, July 25, 2005

O, yummy, this was one long and glorious (as Cassandra would say) read. Finished it in two days time - okay, I was ill and bedridden and had nothing else to do, but I really loved it. I have no idea how I ended up being on this ring, can't remember I signed up for it, but I'm grateful I was. I will definitely keep an eye out for the DVD, but it can't be anything but a disappointment, I suppose (or 'I guess', as Neil would say). Thanks for ringing Dodie, daemonwolf.

Journal Entry 26 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Monday, August 22, 2005

i actually picked this up from the post office friday night. instead of writing a journal right away (it just seemed too much work to turn on my computer after a week in front of one at work...) i sat down and started reading it. since it was raining most of the weekend i finished it last night.

a very pleasant read. usually, i'm not one for diaries. my own attempts to keep one always ended very quickly... but this i really liked. i don't think i would have enjoyed the story as much if it hadn't been written as a diary. weird, really. if this were a novel in the traditional sense, i don't think i would have liked it. the (central) story was too romantic, but somehow cassandra telling it made it seem less cheesy.

i didn't care much for the character rose. to me she seemed to be an absolutely boring person. also, thomas wasn't given much of a profile until the very end. he could have been a very interesting person to read about but (sadly) was neglected.

have to get sherrias address now to send this on...

Journal Entry 27 by concertina8 at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 25, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (8/25/2005 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sending this off today to the US

Journal Entry 28 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Friday, September 02, 2005

Arrived (along with two others today and one yesterday...it's raining bookrings)! I'll get to this one ASAP.

Journal Entry 29 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, September 13, 2005

This was a lovely book! The language was so pretty, the characters eccentric and interesting, and the story very sweet.

I enjoyed the brief peek inside the lives of Cassandra's family; the contrast with the Cottons made their lifestyle even more vivid. I found myself envying them, despite their situation as they all seemed happy (except Rose) rather than pitiful.

I loved the descriptions of the castle, the clothes, the villagers, the countryside - everything was wonderfully drawn. I was completely sucked in, and read in about a day and a half!

Thanks for sharing this daemonwolf. I'll send it on to the next participant early next week.

Journal Entry 30 by airehead from Didsbury, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 30, 2005

Recived this book and had just finished one so thought I'd start it right away. Not my type of book, rather insipid and not much storyline, but a quick read.

Journal Entry 31 by titihood on Friday, December 09, 2005

Wow, I got this today, such a nice thing to find in the post :) I will have a lot of reading over Christmas :D Yay!!

21/02/06: Sorry I have had this book for so long, had a few rings before it. I Capture the Castle was at first annoyingly simple and naive, then I got into it a bit more and couldn't put it down. It is a bit predictable and the characters don't really jump out at you, but as I couldn't stop reading it I think it must have its merits! Sending to Firegirl today.

Journal Entry 32 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, February 27, 2006

Arrived today with one other bookring (they always come in groups, don't they?). More after I've read it.

Journal Entry 33 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 16, 2006

I couldn't get into this book, though I did give it try. It just wasn't keeping my interest; I found myself putting it down for other books. Rather than wait to be in the mood/mindset for it, I'm passing it on to the next in line. It will be Australia-bound tomorrow, via media mail. Thanks for the chance to try it out!

Journal Entry 34 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Arrived in Perth Australia today.... Thanks for sending it on Firegirl. Will get to it ASAP, study for exam/read book ... hard choice ;-)

Journal Entry 35 by celestewa from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2006

I really enjoyed this book and saw how it would make a good movie. I felt the end was a bit contrived but I enjoyed the rites on the mound.

This book has been posted to Froggirlwendy

Journal Entry 36 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, October 02, 2006

Arrived 28 Sept. I have a few other bookrings but will read ASAP - if I can't get to it soon I will PM the next reader so as not to hold it up too long. Great bookmark squirk has made to accompany the book :o)

20/11 lobodyke asked to be skipped - have PM'd sweetpeeps and will send book travelling soon

Journal Entry 37 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, December 16, 2006

Unfortunately I didn't end up finishing this one. It started out slow and close to boring but it did start to pick up and was an ok read. I had trouble getting absorbed in it so ended up stopping. Maybe some other day.

Thank you daemonwolf for including me in this ring and to celestewa for sending it my way. Off to sweetpeeps with Squirk's cute bookmark and a few little travelling companions. Enjoy :o)

Journal Entry 38 by sweetpeeps from Málaga, Málaga Spain on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Yaay - received safely in the mail this morning all the way from Australia! Thanks froggirlwendy for the little extras!!One more bookring book to read first before I get to this one. It´s been a long wait!!!

Journal Entry 39 by sweetpeeps from Málaga, Málaga Spain on Saturday, February 17, 2007

I was very disappointed with this book, especially as I had waited so long for it to arrive. I gave up on it three or four times, but then picked it up again, determined to finish the book. I see from previous journal entries the reviews have been very mixed. It seems the sort of book you either really like .... or don´t!! Thanks for including me in the Bookring

Journal Entry 40 by sweetpeeps at Controlled release - By mail for Bookring/Bookray in Cómpeta, Málaga Spain on Saturday, February 17, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (2/17/2007 UTC) at Controlled release - By mail for Bookring/Bookray in Cómpeta, Málaga Spain

Off to Koalabare in the UK. I hope you enjoy the book much more than I did!

Journal Entry 41 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, February 26, 2007

Received a couple of days ago but only just got to journalling - thanks sweetpeeps!

Will be starting this at once

Journal Entry 42 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My mother saw I was reading this and commented that it was one of her favourite reads. I've heard other people raving about it, and having read it I can now understand why.

Cassandra is a great narrator and I enjoyed her dysfunctional family. Have to confess that my romantic radar didn't pick up on Rose and Neil, but I really liked the fact that there wasn't a rosy (forgive the pun) ending for Cassandra, Simon or Stephen.

Thanks Daemonwolf for organising and on to the next person.

Journal Entry 43 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2007

Thank you very much, this is a book I have long wanted to read and I am really looking forward to reading it, which I shall be doing really really soon, although I have a book to read and finish for an essay due at the end of the month, but somehow I don't think I am going to be able to resist this one.