corner corner CHILD OF AWE : CHILD OF AWE

CHILD OF AWE : CHILD OF AWE
by Nancy Davis | Literature & Fiction
Registered by awakeagain of Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 06, 2004

status (set by awakeagain): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 06, 2004

From the back cover:

Set amidst the wild beauty of the Scottish highlands, Child of Awe resonates with the heartfelt emotion, magnificant characters and rich sense of place that made "Too Deep for Tears" a national bestseller.

At its center are Archibald Campbell, the powerfull, cunning Earl of Argyll -- driven by ambition for his family and dedication to his king; Muriella Calder, heiress to Scotland's richest lands, and ward of the ruthless Earl; John Campbell, the Earl's proud, swift-tempered second son, commanded to wed the beautiful Muriella; and Elizabeth Campbell Maclean, the Earl's beloved daughter, whose gentle heart was sacrificed in an alliance with her father's bitterest enemy.

Journal Entry 2 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Sunday, September 12, 2004

It didn't help that the first two pages were missing but I figured I couldn't have missed much. The book is written as though it's a sequel but when I checked, it wasn't. We don't really get to know the characters; the author gives each a few characteristics to remember them by but never really shows us who they are. Muriella doesn't seem convincing in her decision to have nothing to do with her new husband and, years later, when that is changed, there seems no good reason for the change. When she learns of her mother's death, she is said to be devastasted but she rarely seemed to be thinking of her in the preceding years In my search for what might have been a precursor to this book, I read review of several of this author's other books and saw the phrase "dull predictability" used. That sums it up.

Journal Entry 3 by awakeagain at Shop Rite in Mansfield, New Jersey USA on Sunday, August 19, 2007

Released 6 yrs ago (8/19/2007 UTC) at Shop Rite in Mansfield, New Jersey USA