corner corner City-Makers: The Men Who Transformed Los Angeles from Village to Metropolis

Journal Entry 1 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Sunday, September 05, 2004

I bought this book used when I was still at UCLA, thinking I might be pursuing a PhD in critical studies (film studies). My thesis would have been something along the lines of "the language of the automobile and its influence on American cinema" but UCLA decided to chuck me out on my ear with only a masters. I haven't gotten around to reading this book but it looks interesting.

On a side note, I realize there weren't automobiles in 1868 but I was looking for what might have been the seeds of what would germinate into the sprawling freeway nest that is modern Los Angeles.

Journal Entry 2 by caligula03 at Panera Bread in Dublin, California USA on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/11/2011 UTC) at Panera Bread in Dublin, California USA

A Bankers box of bookcrossing books I've ever read or gotten via a meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Caught" this at last night's TriValley Bookcrossing group meetup in Dublin.

1952 Doubleday hardcover, in grungy condition, of the 1948 history. This copy was originally a discard from Van Nuys Branch of Los Angeles Public Library. I am curious to see if it has any interesting tidbits related to my ancestral ties to ownership of Ocean Park area below Santa Monica in the 1880s. This one with its 2004 registration date also makes my home page list of the oldest dozen or so BC books to cross my hands.

Edit August 11, 2012: This only covered a five year period. It overlapped just a bit with my ancestors settlement in Santa Monica, but they were not quite in the first land grab wave. That may be why they ended up just a bit to the south, near Ocean Park. This was written by the grandson of one of the earliest pioneers. It started out fascinating, but ended up a bit dry in the back half, as it became more about California politics rather than about the first real pioneers and outlaws. I also found it interesting how it tied in with Richard Henry Dana's book Two Years Before the Mast, which explained why and how the Port of Los Angeles ended up at San Pedro, which then became critical for the early railroads in this book.

Journal Entry 4 by eastbaybookmisr at Public Library - Dimond, 3565 Fruitvale Ave. in Oakland, California USA on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Public Library - Dimond, 3565 Fruitvale Ave. in Oakland, California USA

... in the free books box on the porch.