corner corner The Pianist

The Pianist
by Wladyslaw Szpilman | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingmynttiwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 9/4/2004

status (set by kirjakko): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, September 04, 2004

Book description taken from Amazon.com:
"Named one of the Best Books of 1999 by the Los Angeles Times, The Pianist is now a major motion picture directed by Roman Polanski and starring Adrien Brody (Son of Sam). The Pianist won the Cannes Film Festival's most prestigious prize - the Palme d'Or.

On September 23, 1939, Wladyslaw Szpilman played Chopin's Nocturne in C-sharp minor live on the radio as shells exploded outside - so loudly that he couldn't hear his piano. It was the last live music broadcast from Warsaw: That day, a German bomb hit the station, and Polish Radio went off the air.

Though he lost his entire family, Szpilman survived in hiding. In the end, his life was saved by a German officer who heard him play the same Chopin Nocturne on a piano found among the rubble. Written immediately after the war and suppressed for decades, The Pianist is a stunning testament to human endurance and the redemptive power of fellow feeling."

Journal Entry 2 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I finished reading this survival story a couple of days ago. It's been a few years since I saw the movie, but as far as I can tell, the movie followed the book quite closely. This was an interesting look at life in the Polish ghetto. The book also includes extracts from the diary of Captain William Hosenfeld, who helped Szpillman during the war.

Lähtee toivelistahipasta seuraavaksi kirjakolle.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmynttiwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/10/2013 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Hyviä lukuhetkiä!

Journal Entry 4 by kirjakko at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 15, 2013

Thanks! A good way to start a week - a BC-book in the mailbox:)
Haven't seen the film, looking forward to the book.

Journal Entry 5 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 23, 2016

I finally started to read this. In my youth I had a period when I read every Holocaust story I could get, but after that I've seldom read them, perhaps I had an overdose earlier on. Let's see how this goes. If it is too depressing, I might not finish it.

Journal Entry 6 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 25, 2016

Finished. This man was destined to live, why else would he avoid a certain death so many times? I hope he used his life well. Sorry to hear what happened to his saviour in the hands of Russians.
Of all the animals, man is the most frightening. Scratch the surfice and the beast is right under the the skin.

Journal Entry 7 by kirjakko at Kampin kauppakeskus in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 06, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/7/2016 UTC) at Kampin kauppakeskus in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

On offer at Taavina meet-up in Café Johto.