corner corner 1,000 Marbles: A Little Something About Precious Time

1,000 Marbles: A Little Something About Precious Time
by Jim Davis | Health, Mind & Body
Registered by BrooklinBrat of Brooklin, Ontario Canada on 9/3/2004

status (set by AngelChild): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 03, 2004

Based on a story about a man who collected up a thousand marbles - one for each Saturday he figures he has left. He "pays" a marble each Saturday, and these are the things he'd give up a marble to do. It's all about making the time we have count.

What things would you pay a marble for?

Journal Entry 2 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Included with the book is a journal where Bookcrossers can jot down what they'd "pay a marble" for...Their "One day I'm gonna"s, their "Some day I oughta"s, and their "Boy I'm glad I did"s!!

When the book/journal arrives, please make a journal entry so we know it has arrived safely, and PM the next in line for their address, so we can keep the ring moving! (Make sure you check back here for the next person in line - the ring is still open so shipping order could change.)

Thanks!

IrasCignavojo........Germany
BrooklinBrat.....On, Canada
cartref..............U.K. * skipped - no response to PM for address
caffcaff.............U.K. <--It's here 10/5/06
mundoo...............Australia * asked to be removed
airehead.........AB, Canada
lauraloo29.......AB, Canada * asked to be removed - got it from library
CynthiaA.........ON, Canada
Booknhand...CA, USA
and back to
BrooklinBrat.....ON, Canada

FYI: The story on which the book is based is included in the book, but someone at Bookcrossing also posted it in the forum. If you'd like to take a look it's here: www.bookcrossing.com/forum/5/284705

Journal Entry 3 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 06, 2004

On its way to jessibud, first in the ring. Hope you all enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 10, 2004

This book (and its partner journal!) arrived on Friday. Perfect timing, too, since I just finished the other book I was reading and the 2 other bookring books I know are on their way haven't arrived yet! This book looks to be a quick read and from the beginning, anyhow, looks delightful.

I am already thinking about what to contribute to the journal. And BrooklinBrat, I LOVE your bookmarks!! What a wonderful idea! Thank you!

I'll journal again when I'm done

Journal Entry 5 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2004

I'm done! I enjoyed this little book, lots of food for thought here. The idea behind it is to be aware of the time you have and to not just use it wisely, but to make every moment of that time valuable and memorable. Some of the suggestions listed that caught my eye and fancy included:

- watching Saturday morning cartoons again, going for a bike ride to a place you've never been before, viewing the night sky, travelling to a foreign country that you've always wanted to go to, and my favourite of all:

"Take a reading vacation this year. Bring all the books you think you can stand and then bring a few more. Spend nearly the entire time doing nothing but reading--reading on the beach, in the hotel room, in the restaurant while waiting for dinner. Catch up on all that reading you never seem to have time for."

(it didn't say anything about releasing, but we know we'd do that, right??;-) Now, while I agree that this sounds like a dream, to have that kind of time to do nothing but read, I'm not sure I'd spend all that money to go somewhere far away to do that. But heck, why not? I was also very moved by the little story on page 112, 113, about Wednesdays at O'Dowd's and how that was connected to the marbles, of the title of this book.

I probably wrote more in the little journal that came with this book, than I intended but it is easy to get carried away...The books will be on their way to Lpree in tomorrow morning's mail. Thanks, BrooklinBrat, for this creative idea. It was fun!

Journal Entry 6 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Sunday, November 07, 2004

This arrived in yesterday's mail along with the accompanying journal. I have some other bookrings ahead of it but will read as quickly as I can. Please check my profile to see where I am in my reading list as well as an expected finish date for this book.

I too love the bookmarks - thanks!

UPDATE 10/15 - I started this book yesterday and will be working on it with the journal this week.

Journal Entry 7 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, November 19, 2004

Well, I finally finished reading all of the ideas in the book this morning. There are some really neat ones in here! One funny one that "spoke" to me:

- "The next time you are driving in the country and pass a field of cows, go ahead and roll down the window and "moo" loudly at them. You know you want to."

I don't know why, that just made me laugh... I collect cow-themed items (long story on how *that* one got started), so this was particularly funny to me.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this and plan on writing down a few of the ideas to try sometime. I will work on the journal over the weekend and hope to mail this on to the next person in line early next week.

Thanks for letting me participate. This is a great idea!

UPDATE 11/30 - This was sent media mail to Megi53 today.

Journal Entry 8 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 04, 2004

Arrived in the mail this afternoon and I sat straight down to read it. I just love books like this!

The author, like my dad, is a ham radio operator. One of the first marbles I'm going to spend will be asking Dad to tell me all about his hobby when I'm visiting for Christmas.

One problem with being 50+ as I am -- I've already done nearly all of the activities in the book. As I read, I jotted down the dozen or so new ones on a piece of unopened junk mail. Later tonight I'll pick out a few of these goals and dreams to write down in the snazzy space-age yellow journal that came with the book.

Journal Entry 9 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 11, 2004

Did the author include 1,000 things to do on a Saturday in this book? I noticed a lot of repetition. Several times he mentioned waking up at 4:30 to enjoy a sunrise, going to a state fair, climbing a tree, organizing financial papers, putting addresses into your computer, and enjoying hot dogs and root beer in your car!

He seemed like a confirmed dog-lover and a red-stater to boot. But his book got me to thinking, and the unique marble concept he presented might be what it takes to actually get me moving on doing the activities I wrote in the diary before the children leave home!

Mailing to Maurean later today.

Journal Entry 10 by Maurean from Atlantic Beach, Florida USA on Monday, January 10, 2005

OMG! I feel like such a baaaad bookcrosser! I received this wonderful little book late in December (I believe, 12/21), listed it on my bookshelf as in my possession - then, forgot to journal it here! Bad, Bad Bookcrosser!!

Anyway....I thoroughly enjoyed the 'reminder' that life is short and you should take advantage of allll the marbles you have left! Truly a "feel good" book; some of the passages brought back good memories, while others made me think 'I gotta DO that!" Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us, BrooklinBrat (and for the bookmark)

Hoping to redeem my bookcrosser status, I have already received devon612's addy, so I will put this book & journal in the mail this week to continue on its journey. (again, I apologize to all of you for holding this up! ) * mailed 1/15

Happy Reading, and Happy Journaling!

Journal Entry 11 by devon612 from Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Received from Maurean today as part of a bookring. Received another bookring today too but will get right on both of them. I'm very excited about this one!!!

Thank you!

Journal Entry 12 by devon612 from Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Sunday, July 03, 2005

I'm so sorry I had this for so long, completely forgot about it! Sending on to tuff517.

Journal Entry 13 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Friday, July 15, 2005

Received this today, will start ASAP.

Journal Entry 14 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005

A nice 'pondering' book. It made me think, made me remember, made me wish, hope, and plan. This will be going in the mail to bookmare tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 15 by bossmare from Casper, Wyoming USA on Sunday, August 07, 2005

Caught this in the mail on Saturday.

Journal Entry 16 by bossmare from Casper, Wyoming USA on Monday, August 08, 2005

This was a sort of boring book for me as most of the suggestions involved children, which I don't have. The author also seemed to have a fixation on pumpkin pie, which I hate. LOL He was also a bit repetitious. Now that the book is finished I'll move onto the journal.

Journal Entry 17 by bossmare at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Casper, Wyoming USA on Friday, August 19, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (8/18/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Casper, Wyoming USA

Released to Abbynormal, next in the ring.

Journal Entry 18 by Abbynormal92243 from El Centro, California USA on Wednesday, August 24, 2005

O.O

WOW!
this journal's PACKED! I can't wait to read what you all have put in....

noodling now about what to put in myself.

cha cha cha

Journal Entry 19 by Abbynormal92243 from El Centro, California USA on Thursday, December 15, 2005

okay, I'm totally embarrassed that I've had this for three months.
My apologies to those waiting for it, and to MsBrat.

Life kinda exploded, which you'll read about in my entry.

This will go into the mail as soon as I have the next address.

*slinking off*

Journal Entry 20 by Abbynormal92243 at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 20, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (2/12/2006 UTC) at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 21 by IrasCignavojo from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, April 12, 2006

If it weren't for the journal attached, I'd say a bookring like this is just crazy. Abbynormal did indeed send this two months ago, February 13, as the postmark certifies... and paid more than the cover price of the book for this 'speedy delivery'. Without the journal it would have been cheaper for her to just order the book for me at amazon.de... and much faster.

But I'm delighted to read your comments. Book and journal arrived about 30 minutes ago and while the rice is starting to get ready for lunch in the kitchen, (and while BCer MueckeGuen picks up BCer EileenW from Kindergarten) I use the time to have a glance at both and tell you it's here.

Thanks for sharing and sending :)

Journal Entry 22 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Well I guess my little journal and book must have been homesick - they came home before I expected!

Not sure if the others after Iras dropped out, but I'll try to contact the next in line and it will be off on its journey again.

Thanks to all who have participated so far!
Susan

Journal Entry 23 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 30, 2006

On its way to caffcaff...Hope you're getting settled in ok.

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 24 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, October 05, 2006

The book, and the journal, arrived this morning.... thanks BB :o) And yes, im settling in just fine :o)

A stroke of luck actually, as i finished the book ive been reading for the last week late last night....so this one will be going in my bag and up to my childrens school in half an hours time, so that i can start on it in the car whilst i'm waiting for them to come out of school....

Will have a read through the journal later today......

Journal Entry 25 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, October 06, 2006

WOW!

Been reading the book on and off (whenever i got a spare 5 minutes lol) over the last couple of days and had a read of the journal this evening....

What a great story behind the idea. When i first read it i thought, right, where do i get me some marbles....but then i realised that actually, i would find it a little scary...like watching my life tick away. I know thats the point, but i kinda like NOT knowing how many Saturdays i have left ;o)

Def has inspired me though..... i really related to the "gonna" story as i dont think my DD would appreciate having all my unfinished projects dumped on her when i pop my clogs lol

Have PM'd airehead..... Thank you soooo much for sharing this one BrooklinBrat :o) I'm off to fill in the journal now ;o)

Journal Entry 26 by AngelChild at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 23, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (11/23/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Going in the mail today to airehead :o)

Journal Entry 27 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2006

I just had to share this.....

I did the release notes on this book and then went to my bag of recycled jiffy bags (i always keep envelopes & jiffy bags from other BCers to use again). I pulled out one which was suitable in size and put the book & journal inside. I turned it over to the front to see what stickers etc needed pulling off so that i can put airehead's addy on the front and guess where the bag came from.....airehead!!!!!! So the book & journal are being passed on to their new home, the jiffy bag, back to its old one! lol