corner corner Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody

Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody
by Michael Gerber | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingtayjanwing of Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, September 02, 2004

status (set by tayjan): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingtayjanwing from Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, September 02, 2004

The book tells us a bit about Barry Trotter being an adult - and it really is a parody of Harry Potter!

The beginning is not that good, but it gets better and better, so you should even stay on reading if you don't like it at first.

It shall be an international bookring. So if you're interested, just send me a PM.

The members by now are:
11. QueenSissi, Portugal
12. Lifthrasir, Portugal
13. IrasCignavojo, Germany
back to me

The book is back home now!

Journal Entry 2 by wingtayjanwing at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Released 9 yrs ago (9/7/2004 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

it's on its way to petziorso now

Journal Entry 3 by petziorso from Bayreuth, Bayern Germany on Friday, September 10, 2004

This book was in the mail today.
Thanks to tayjan for sending it!!

Journal Entry 4 by petziorso from Bayreuth, Bayern Germany on Friday, October 22, 2004

I've read this book each night before sleeping. I fell asleep quite fast... so it took me a lot of time to finsh this book. I'm really glad I didn't buy it, because I didn't like it at all.
Now it's on its way to SudoKris

Journal Entry 5 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Got here this morning - thanks!

Update 27.10.04
Actually finished it last night before watching "Sex and the City"... I like it (as I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter's...). It's a bit crudely done, though, but then the author apologizes for that towards the end of the book! I've always been thinking up parodies of the 'unmentionable books' but never got round to actually writing one... Gerber did, well done! I especially liked that Valumart owns a largish supermarket chain *giggle*...

Journal Entry 6 by -aoirghe- from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, November 13, 2004

The book has just arrived. I'm looking forward to reading it, but as it is the sixth bookring now with me, it may take some time. I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience - I'll read it as soon as possible.

edit Nov. 29:
Silly, silly, silly. I didn't finish the book, I just didn't like it, it's way too silly for my taste. The book will travel on to hank-chinaski as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 7 by -aoirghe- from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Sent on to hank-chinaski.

Journal Entry 8 by hank-chinaski from Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, December 06, 2004

Came with the mail today (Owls these days aren't what they used to be *gg*).

Journal Entry 9 by hank-chinaski from Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, December 31, 2004

One of the books that keep getting better, the more you read. The first chapters are rather disappointing, but the story improves considerably after Ermine enters the scene, and there are some brilliant jokes with words.

They stopped inside a wizard bodega and Ferd got a packet of beenuts. They buzzed in your mouth.

Sent on to rowlf by snailmail.

Journal Entry 10 by rowlf from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, January 07, 2005

heute sicher bei mir eingetrudelt!

Journal Entry 11 by rowlf from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, February 25, 2005

i'm sorry, i have to give up.
after more than a month i've just been able to read about three chapters and i keep avoiding this book when i have time to read.
thank you tayjan for the bookring!

Journal Entry 12 by rowlf from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Sunday, February 27, 2005

will bring it on its way to Somipago tomorrow!

Journal Entry 13 by Somipago from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Friday, March 04, 2005

hat wohl gestern der Postbote mitgebracht. heute morgen im Zeitungskasten bei der Tageszeitung gefunden... Danke fürs Schicken!
the postman put it in my newspaper box, where I found it tomorrow morning...
Thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 14 by Somipago from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, April 05, 2005

i read all of Harry Potter and enjoyed every word of it.
i read a little of Barry Trotter and i was bored to death.

sent it to Nyaasu, maybe she will like it...

Journal Entry 15 by FLK-751735 on Wednesday, April 06, 2005

It arrived today, thanks to Somipago for sending.
Wow, I hope reading will work fine and my English is good enough ^_^;
But I don't think I will like the book, I heard a few minutes of the German audiobook, and no, it was NOT funny but silly, but maybe I've listened to the most boring minutes... We'll see ^^

19. April
Still reading, its really hard to read more then a few pages wthout getting bored, but I won't give up!

Journal Entry 16 by FLK-751735 on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I really tried to read it, but it doesn't work. There are so many unknown words in this book, and the story is so boring! I like parodies, but they must be ironic an funny, but this book is only silly. Barry is too old, "Ron" too silly and without the names I would never thought that this book shall tell another version of Harry Potter.

Book is on the way to martinburo now, hope he likes it more than me.

Journal Entry 17 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Thank you. I see very different ratings for this book, makes me curious. I will start reading it immediately.

Journal Entry 18 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, June 05, 2005

I liked this better than Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, the only one I read. I thought the middle was poor in terms of the plot, but for such a light and unpretentious read I find this forgiveable. Most of the book was amusing, but not quite funny.
Sent this on to juliebarreto.

Journal Entry 19 by juliebarreto from Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, September 03, 2005

It's here! It arrived in the mail today. The 12 year old is already 60 pp. in, quoting freely, and laughing a lot.
9/5/5 - He finished it in a night; really seemed to enjoy it. I'll be sending this off tomorrow media mail rate to silverstarry in California.

Journal Entry 20 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Just received this book in the mail today - can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 21 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Sunday, September 25, 2005

I agree with some of the previous comments - this book was silly but not really funny. I don't think any non-HP fans would enjoy this book at all as it was a bit tedious with the names of characters, creatures, spells, etc. The book did have an interesting premise - Harry Potter is a real person whose life was made into a book and what he has become as an adult - but the actual book fell rather flat. As a whole, it wasn't spectacular, but there were some clever moments. I liked the "real" version of Valumart and the idea that the people behind the characters aren't as interesting as the fictionalized versions (very appropriate given the cult of celebrity that is so pervasive), but overall the book was just okay. A friend of mine gave me Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel a few years ago but I honestly don't remember anything that happened in it because the book was that forgettable.

Arjay1977 asked to be skipped, so I am waiting to hear back from QueenSissi for her address.

Thanks to tayjan for sharing this book with us - I'm glad I finally had a chance to read it!

Journal Entry 22 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Friday, September 30, 2005

Mailed to QueenSissi today!

Journal Entry 23 by QueenSissi from Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Thursday, October 06, 2005

Arrived today and I'm going to read it ASAP. Thanks everyone!

Journal Entry 24 by QueenSissi from Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Saturday, November 26, 2005

I cannot say that I loved the book. It was an OKay book but nothing extraordinary. I've sent this book to Lift.. on Monday and it seems it hasn't arrived yet. I hope it arrives soon. Thanks everyone.

Journal Entry 25 by Lifthrasir on Friday, January 06, 2006

i completely forgot to make the journal entry when i received (around late november).
i'm halfway thru now. it's quite funny ..

Journal Entry 26 by wingIrasCignavojowing from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, June 12, 2006

Just arrived here safely from Portugal. If I get your adress per PM, tayian, it won't take me 2 years to send it back to you :) Though with your kind permission I'll plan to dutifully read two other rings first which are already here.

Thanks to you, tayian, for sharing, and to you, Lifthrasir, for sending.

Journal Entry 27 by wingIrasCignavojowing from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Just wanted to mention that I'm nearly through with this one. (And after some time I really like it... you need to lower your level of humour a bit, then it works just fine). It will pass on to the next one soon.

Journal Entry 28 by wingIrasCignavojowing at n/a in n/a, given to a fellow BCer -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (1/23/2007 UTC) at n/a in n/a, given to a fellow BCer -- Controlled Releases

Nachdem ich es ...nach langer Latenz und Konkurrenz mit anderen Ringen... mit Freude ausgelesen habe, hat es jetzt soviel Heimweh dass ich es schnell zurückschicke... mit ganz herzlichem Dank an tayjan!

Journal Entry 29 by wingtayjanwing from Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, February 03, 2007

After two years and nearly five months the book is back home now. It looks quite worn out (whose rabbit was it that ate one of the corners?) and will relax now.

Journal Entry 30 by wingtayjanwing at controlled release in controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 29, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (3/1/2008 UTC) at controlled release in controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Das Buch geht an timio.