corner corner Persian Brides

Persian Brides
by Dorit Rabinyan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Sherlockfan of Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on 8/28/2004

status (set by Icila): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, August 28, 2004

This book was written by a Jewish woman whose family had emigrated from Iran. She was 21 at the time of writing and used stories from her own family as well as general information about the life and times of the characters in Iran at the turn of the century.
The New Yorker has this to say.
"The characters, comic, sodden and sly, spill out of this small book like clowns in a rag tag circus, but the author's gift is that each one, even the stalwart Nazie, the story's Cinderella - plucking chickens and pitting dates - maintains a passionate, steely dignity."

Makes one glad that our daughters are in the 21st century and we don't live in Iran.

Journal Entry 2 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, September 05, 2004

Posted off to JDT today 6 Sept 2004.
Very interesting book and I hope she enjoys it.

Journal Entry 3 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Saturday, September 18, 2004

Received this book today.
Looks like an intruiguing read! Think I'll learn a lot - Jewish in Iran/Persia at the turn of the century.
Thanks so much, sherlockfan~

Journal Entry 4 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Saturday, January 01, 2005

Amazing book! I've appreciated the chance to read it.
The writing style/ story lines/ characters are complex, earthy, culturally revealing, disturbing, amusing...
The impact of this book will linger, I think.

Sending this well-travelled book to CandyDarling - part of the ESL Fiction book relay.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingCandyDarlingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The book arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm really looking forward to reading it! Thank you JDT for sending me the book, and for the lovely postcard too! I spent 3 weeks one summer traveling around California, but unfotunately I didn't go to Pleasanton. Judging by the pictures on the card, I would have liked it! :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingCandyDarlingwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (7/10/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Giving this book to a fellow bookcrosser. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 15, 2015

What an extraordinary tale: sensual, magical, comical – and disturbing. I admire the level of detail in Rabinyan's writing that brings authenticity to the story and makes the characters and events come alive. Recommended.

Next off to Tarna!

Journal Entry 9 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Got it this evening at Tampere meet-up. Persian Brides looks just like my kind of book. Thank you so much Annimanni!

Edited on Jan. 16, 2016 to add that this book is now reserved for Icila. It's on her wishlist and I tagged her with it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, March 17, 2016

Read this book in bits and pieces during quite a long period, so my recollections are pretty shaky and I don't know if I really see the big picture. Still, I did like the book. Found both the storyline and protagonists interesting. It was very enjoyable read, indeed.

Among other challenges, I'm participating in so called Ammattihaaste (Occupational challenge) with this book. Shahin is working as door-to-door cloth merchant. It was quite interesting to read about his ways to deal with his clients, more or less bored housewives. It wasn't too ethical, I must say. The book also introduced a hair-stripper and her work. It's not easy, surely, when your customer is squirming and screaming with pain and you just have to go on with the torture. But your customers have asked for it, haven't they?

Journal Entry 11 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, March 18, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/18/2016 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Finally, it's in the mail. Thank you so much for your patience, Icila. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, April 14, 2016

Thank you Tarna, the book was safely waiting for me at home. I wish you the best for the future.