corner corner Dune

Dune
by Frank Herbert | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by inkognitoh of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/28/2004

status (set by inkognitoh): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2004

One of those books that I never cared to read. I don't enjoy Science Fiction books as a genre but this book keeps turning up on 100 favourite books and must read lists alike so there must be something in it. I hope I enjoy it but it won't be a tragedy if I don't. Purchased from ebay.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 21, 2013

It's hard for me to review this book as I barely took the story in as the words grazed my brain very slowly over the course of almost a year. I can see that if you were fully tuned in to the whole adventure it would have been quite an epic tale but I personally found that the first three quarters of the book dragged the plot through the sand and the last quarter jumped about all over the place as if in a desperate attempt to wind it up.

The borrowing of relgious elements from Eastern religions and the use of spiritual quests and inheritance rites may very well have started with this book - I simply don't read enough of Sci Fi to know (or care) - but it seemed old and tired by the time I came round to read it. Even the topical 'planet running out of resources and fighting wars over water' wasn't enough to win me round.

What can I say. At least I'll never have to read it again :-)

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at Civic Hall in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/29/2013 UTC) at Civic Hall in Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Left in a tree behind the Civic Hall building during a book releasing walk which took in some of the Leeds city centre owls.