corner corner Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451
by Ray Bradbury | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by AngelChild of Otham, Kent United Kingdom on 8/22/2004

status (set by AngelChild): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, August 22, 2004

I'm not really a "sci fi" fan, but..... i'm gunna give this a go because of the subject matter...... books!

I found this book in the villa we were staying at in Majorca (Mallorca) and replaced it with one of my own. My 16 year old son read it and said it was excellent.

First published in 1953, this is Bradbury's prophetic dystopian vision of a weird but too distant future where happiness is allocated on a four-walled TV screen, where individuals, eccentrics and scholars are outcasts of society and where books are burnt by a special task-force.

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."
Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family", imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbour Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

Bradbury--the author of more than 500 short stories, novels, plays and poems--including The Martian Chroniclesand The Illustrated Man--is the winner of many awards, including the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America. Readers aged 13 to 93 will be swept up in the harrowing suspense of Fahrenheit 451, and no doubt will join the hordes of Bradbury fans worldwide.

Journal Entry 2 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

This book is on quite a few Wish Lists so i'm going to offer it up as a ring (as i havent got a clue when i'll get around to reading it).....

You know the rules....but just in case you dont:

Please send the book to the next person on the list (PM'ing them for their addy) within 1 month. If you are unable to finish the book in that time please let me know so i can keep everyone updated.

Journal the book when you receive it and again when you send it on so we can all see where it is :o)

Participants:

FiBe UK (Europe)
CatharinaL Finland (Europe)
apapsa GREECE (Int)
JeSuisBelle Phillipines (Int)
angellica (uk)
Back to caffcaff UK

Journal Entry 3 by AngelChild at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (5/5/2005 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending to FiBe as first person on this Ring

Hope you enjoy it :o)

Journal Entry 4 by FiBe from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 19, 2005

Hmm this book was a bit odd, I never felt like I connected with the story and the characters but it was an interesting concept and is a very short read, I think I read it in about an hour and a half.

Thanks for letting me take part in the bookring though caffcaff, I will pm CatharinaL for her address so that it can continue its journey.

Journal Entry 5 by FiBe at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 23, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (5/23/2005 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next person in the bookring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, May 26, 2005

Received the book in the mail today!

Journal Entry 7 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, May 27, 2005

An easy read, true, but the easiness didn't in the least dim the shine of the novel. I particularly enjoyed its concise narration in a classic framework, and the variety of literary allusions planted here and there in the text.

Part One suffered from startup problems, I think, dwelling on a plethora of references to burning and the symbolism of fire. However, I was delighted to see the story evolve—Parts Two & Three were true gems from the beginning.

Caffcaff, thanks for organizing! Off to apapsa.

Fahrenheit 451 Ultra-Condensed :-)

Journal Entry 8 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, June 05, 2005

Just got today... I didn't expect my turn to come so soon, but it's a small book and judging from the previous reader an easy read... So, I'll be done with it soon...

Thank you caffcaff and CatharinaL.

Journal Entry 9 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I just realised that I didn't write a journal entry before I send the book to JeSuisBelle. The book was mailed in August. I'm surprised it hasn't reached JeSuisBelle yet, I hope it isn't lost in the mail...

Ummm... I see now that the last post made by JeSuisBelle was 3 months ago... Doing a Forum Search now... (Hope it works...) Uh oh... It seems that other people are looking for her. I'll try PMing her. Sorry caffcaff for not being more alert about this one sooner.

Journal Entry 10 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I think i now have to face facts.... This book has gone, to the big trash can in the sky *sob*

I dont often do Rings (ie wanting the book to come back to me) and this was one i def wanted to read.....

Luckily it did get round a few of you.... I'll mark it as travelling and PM angellica to tell her its not gunna arrive.....