corner corner The Archivist: A Novel

The Archivist: A Novel
by Martha Cooley | Literature & Fiction
Registered by jinnayah of Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

status (set by glade1): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jinnayah from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by jinnayah from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I bought this copy on half.com. I decided I was in dire need of more releases soon. I've got a whole bunch of books from White Elephant Network that I have yet to register, but I needed more of my favorites.

See other Archivist copies at 1 2 3 4 5 and 6 and 7

This copy is earmarked for WhiteDwarfStar, to fill in a hole on his Cliff1976 Wish List

Journal Entry 3 by jinnayah from Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Two nights ago, you could say, my husband of 3 months and I had our first fight. You could say that, but we probably wouldn't. We both were upset, we both cried, but we did not feel anger towards one another and no serious reprimands were intended (although each of us felt we received reprimands).

During the course of this (it ended well enough), he said he is wary of always being on alert. My husband does not know if he can handle, as he puts it, always having to be ready to be "on" for me, to support me. I say it's not so continuously a need: I have enough of my own strengths and defenses that I can sustain myself even in times of need for a while. I can wait until support is there to be given; on those rare times when my need is immediate, I can entreat for it, and I am confident he will know the difference. He is very empathetic.

By now any reader (who has also read into The Archivist) should recognize that I identify most, indeed very strongly, with the character of Judith. We are coming up to the third anniversary of a very psychologically rough time for me: I know her desperation, and I know how she eventually went beyond the point even of being capable of despair. Sometimes depression strips you of all emotions, and it just doesn't seem worth holding on to the empty shell you have become.

I have corresponded with Ms. Cooley on her writing. Check another of my Archivist journals, like this one, for her own comments on Judith's struggles. I do live in a (for depression) more informed and, I dare say, more enlightened time than the character, but that's not the only advantage I have over her. My husband, unlike Matthias, identifies taking care of me as one of his only two main priorities.

I'd thought I was angry, but instead i found that I was shaken. Suddenly I realized that what I'd most wanted, during her week away, was to be left alone, and I had come perilously close to having my wish granted. (35)
Some nights my young man must also be left alone, with his work or simply with himself. The next time I read this book I will probably worry, comparing him with Matt. Ay...

No, I do have an answer. My husband does not know limits where I am concerned. I trust that ours is also "the love that abides no boundaries."

Journal Entry 4 by jinnayah at surface mail in Slovenia-US, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 26, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (10/26/2006 UTC) at surface mail in Slovenia-US, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases

Mailed off, surface mail, to WhiteDwarfStar. Expected to arrive by the end of the year.

Journal Entry 5 by WhiteDwarfStar from Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Thanks, jinnayah! The Archivist has arrived more or less intact yesterday and is already being read. So far, so good.

Journal Entry 6 by WhiteDwarfStar from Ljubljana, Osrednja Slovenija - Okolica Ljubljane in Ljubljana Slovenia on Friday, October 31, 2008

What took me so long to complete the second journal entry... Well, I first read The Archivist when I got it and again this week. In between there were living, reading and an exam in psychiatry. Am I any the wiser for it?

No, I say. It's because a person never discovers who he is. Only what he might have been and what he failed to do.
p. 169, The Archivist

I do like this book, but cannot judge it objectively. It has too many things I adore: poetry, books, jazz and well developed characters. And madness, which I do not. Not to dwell on it - I do identfy with the man. And to some extent understand the woman.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T.S. Eliot

The Archivist will in all probability be sent to either batty14 or glade1.

Journal Entry 7 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Received in the mail yesterday. What a nice surprise! Thank you, WhiteDwarfStar! I'm not sure when this will rise to the top of Mt. TBR, but it is safe with me until then. I look forward to reading it. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 8 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Friday, August 14, 2009

This book was okay but I didn't find it memorable or riveting. I somehow did not grow attached to any of the characters, and I felt a bit too uninformed with regard to the music and literature that were referenced. I read some Eliot for college but did not adore his work; perhaps I should give him another try.

I'll mark this book as available until I find a suitable release. Thank you again, WhiteDwarfStar, for granting my wish!

Journal Entry 9 by wingglade1wing at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (9/9/2009 UTC) at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Left in my department's exchange area, sort of a semi-wild release. Enjoy!