corner corner The Last Time They Met : A Novel

The Last Time They Met : A Novel
by Anita Shreve | Literature & Fiction
Registered by AnitaNovel of Chicago, Illinois USA on 8/8/2004

status (set by eastbaybookmisr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AnitaNovel from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, August 08, 2004

I gave The Weight of Water by this same author a try and did not enjoy the time I spent with the book. I know there are other readers who think that Shreve's books are absolutely transporting so this book needs to get off my shelf and find these people.

Journal Entry 2 by AnitaNovel from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, August 19, 2004

This book was sent off on a very small ray--

1) sweetpea0678
2) beckerbuns

I hope both enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 3 by sweetpea0678 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, August 23, 2004

will star this book shortly.

Journal Entry 4 by sweetpea0678 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I could not get into this book. Maybe cause I have so many bookrings here and I am trying to get to them all in a reasonable amount of time. I have PMed beckerbuns for her address, will send it out shortly after getting the address.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by sweetpea0678 at Post Office in St. Pete, Florida -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Released 13 yrs ago (9/21/2004 UTC) at Post Office in St. Pete, Florida -- Controlled Releases

Sent to next bookcrosser in bookring.

Journal Entry 6 by beckerbuns from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Received yesterday. I will read this one shortly -- one bookray and a promised book in front of it.

Journal Entry 7 by beckerbuns from San Jose, California USA on Thursday, November 04, 2004

Argh. This book is excruciating. I could not even get past the last time they met. I have emailed AnitaNovel and she said I could do whatever I want with this book, so I've sent a PM to a person who has it on her wishlist. Maybe she will have more luck with the book than I did.

Journal Entry 8 by beckerbuns from San Jose, California USA on Monday, November 08, 2004

I am sending this one off to chambejd, who had the book on her wish list, as part of a RABCK. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 9 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, November 18, 2004

Thank you, beckerbuns, for the RABCK. I'm looking forward to reading it even though I'm a little nervous now that I see that everyone else doesn't care for it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more than its first three guardians!

Journal Entry 10 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, December 26, 2004

I enjoyed this book...it was a little difficult to get into in the beginning, but I stuck with it. I like how it went backwards in time to the three periods of their lives. Because I have read The Weight of Water, I think I enjoyed it more than I would had if I hadn't.

My favorite line from the book: "I have always been faithful to you. If faithful means the experience against which everything else has been measured."

I'm going to send this off on a small ray. Anyone interested should PM me to join!

Participants so far:

1. lisabb2 - IA
2. caitdwyer - MN
3. BigBird2002 - AZ
4. RaineeRose - NY
5. bayoupeach - GA
6. devon612 - FL

Journal Entry 11 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Got this book in the mail a few days ago...will read shortly!!! Thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Saturday, February 05, 2005

This was a good book but hard to get into at first. I'm not usually crazy about the ones that start out at the end and go back in time but this one was very good. This was my first Anita Shreve but I would read more of hers in the future if I find them!!!

Book will be on it's way to caitdwyer in MN shortly!!!

Journal Entry 13 by caitdwyer from Saint Cloud, Minnesota USA on Saturday, February 12, 2005

Received this book today. I still have to finish The Da Vinci Code but will start this shortly and journal again when I am done.

Journal Entry 14 by RaineeRose from Rochester, New York USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Received today. I'll start this as soon as I've finished my current reads. Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by caitdwyer from Saint Cloud, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I liked this book a lot right up until the last pages! I couldn't believe the author made up such an ending. I don't want to ruin things for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but ...what a disappointment.

I'm giving it a seven because the quality of the rest of the writing is good.

Journal Entry 16 by RaineeRose from Rochester, New York USA on Thursday, April 07, 2005

Remarkable! This is by far the best Shreve novel I have read! Unlike some who have said they hated the ending, I loved it; when I closed the covers, I actually kept saying, "Wow" over and over again -- and the dog looked at me like I was crazy! LOL This is definitely a book I won't soon forget, and it's right up there with the best novels I've read this year. I highly recommend it. I'm just glad that this wasn't my first Shreve novel -- if it had been, I'm not sure I would have been able to enjoy her others, even though they are good, since to me, this one overshadows them all. Thanks, chambejd, for starting this ray!

I'll send this on to bayoupeach when I can get to the post office next week.

Journal Entry 17 by RaineeRose at sent via media mail at Rochester, NY post office in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 08, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (4/8/2005 UTC) at sent via media mail at Rochester, NY post office in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to bayoupeach. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by bayoupeach from Argyle, Texas USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Just received this book in the mail and will start reading soon!

Journal Entry 19 by bayoupeach from Argyle, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 07, 2005

This wasn't the worst book I've ever read but not the best either. Like some of the other readers, I don't enjoy reading a book from the end to beginning and I did not like the ending what-so-ever. I'm sending in on to devon612 in FL now.

Journal Entry 20 by devon612 from Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Monday, June 27, 2005

Received from bayoupeach.

Thanks!

6/1/07
I read this about a year ago and just realized I never journalled it. This was a very different book, that kept leading up to something which was the only thing that kept me going. Many times I wanted to just give up. The final twist was a good one but hard to comprehend after all that reading.

Journal Entry 21 by devon612 at Sanford, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (5/1/2012 UTC) at Sanford, Florida USA

Sending to eastbaybookmisr. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 22 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

"Caught" this in the mail today in a box-o-books from a forum RABCK of some stale old BC books found. Thank you!

2002 Bay Back Books trade paperback of the 2001 national bestseller.

Edit November 1, 2012: This is a well-written piece of women's lit, I suppose. If you have the patience for it, which I did not, so I skimmed through it. By the end, I don't think I missed all that much that was worth not missing.

Journal Entry 23 by eastbaybookmisr at Maybelle Little Free Library at 3939 Maybelle Ave. in Oakland, California USA on Thursday, November 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/1/2012 UTC) at Maybelle Little Free Library at 3939 Maybelle Ave. in Oakland, California USA

... in the box.

And a plug for the next meetup of TriValley BookCrossing group, at Panera Bread in Dublin, the second Tuesday of each month.