corner corner Falling Angels

Falling Angels
by Tracy Chevalier | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BookFrog of Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 06, 2004

status (set by lmn60): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 06, 2004

A bit different from the other two books that I have read by Chevalier in that it is not based on a piece of art (ie Girl with a Pearl Earring and The Lady and the Unicron) though their is some statutory in the book - the angel of the title, a grave ornament.

Two families meet on the day of Queen Victoria's death, two families from two different circles but their lives become entwined. The tale is told from different points of view - the parents of both families and the two daughters. There is one other little girl but only once do we hear the story from her point of view *from what I remember* and that is very sad when we do. It also has the mind voices of a little boy they meet in the graveyard - a gravedigger's son/apprentice and one of the families' maid.

It was not confusing with the different voices and points of views. It flowed quite well together and reasonably easy to work out who was whom and their place in the scheme of things.

It's about the relationships between husbands and wives, mothers and daughters, feminism (or at least the sufferagettes) and new beginnings.

Journal Entry 2 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 07, 2004

guinevere69 WA
lmn60 Vic
Tasamina SA
GypsyMama

Funkybamboozle
NSW

Journal Entry 3 by guinevere69 from Willetton, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, November 09, 2004

got in mail today along with 3 other rings! Help I am drowning in books- What a way to die!

Journal Entry 4 by guinevere69 from Willetton, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, December 19, 2004

So well written, so easy to read, such wonderful characters. The one chapter that lily may wrote broke my heart. Powerful book, she is suck a great author.
Sorry it took so long to send on Christmas just got on top of me.

Journal Entry 5 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Arrived safely in Spotswood! I'll get to it ASAP and send it on quickly, too!

Journal Entry 6 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Thursday, January 06, 2005

I wanted to enjoy this book more than I actually did, as I had really liked 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'. Chevalier is clearly a good writer, but I found the device of telling the story from so many different characters' points of view tended to make me disengage emotionally from her characters. I just didn't CARE enough about them, though I was interested enough to read to the end of the book in order to find out what happened to them.

Still, Chevalier on a bad day is better than a lot of other authors on their best days! Thanks for starting this ring, BookFrog, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to read this book.

I have PM'd Tasamina for her address and will send it on as soon as I receive a reply.

Journal Entry 7 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Friday, January 07, 2005

Tasamina has asked to be skipped, so I've PMd GypsyMama for her address and will post it off as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 8 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Thursday, January 20, 2005

Posted to GypsyMama today