corner corner Every Second Counts

Every Second Counts
by Lance Armstrong | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Bunnybee of Amarillo, Texas USA on 8/5/2004

status (set by 4-lele): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Thursday, August 05, 2004

Purchased the book after reading his first one and enjoying it quite a lot. Will read this one before making a bookray with it.

Journal Entry 2 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Friday, August 20, 2004

Great book! Not as inspirational as his first one, but still a good read. Fast read, too.

Plans are to make this into a bookray soon.

Journal Entry 3 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Monday, August 23, 2004

Making this into an international bookray!

List so far:

1. tom-m (NJ, USA)
2. your-book-fairy (NY, USA)
3. labmomnm (NM, USA)
4. Ada2 (NSW Australia)
5. Readinator (Australia)
6. Wilmar (The Netherlands)
7. Margih (Finland)
8. RikkiDD (Germany)
9. WarEagle78 (Alabama, USA)
10. TomHl (Wisconsin, USA)
11. Sherria (Connecticut, USA)
12. batty14 (New York, USA)
13. 4-lele (Illinois, USA) <-- 9/15 received

I have decided to let this ray stay open as long as it hasn't reached the last person yet! Once it DOES reach the last person, then the ray will end. :-) And if you're on this list, PM me with your mailing address AND your gender- so I can send you one of the Lance Armstrong Foundation wristbands if you want one (great idea I got from labmomnm!). Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Friday, August 27, 2004

Mailed today to tom-m in New Jersey, USA. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by tom-m from Ulaan Baatar, Ulaan Baatar Mongolia on Thursday, September 02, 2004

received from Bunnybee in the mail as part of a book ring. I am in the middle of a library book (The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene) that needs to be read before the 13th and is rather technical in spots, so Lance will have to wait a bit. It *is* a priority, though, and I will read it as soon as the library book is finished and get it on to the next person in the ray.

Journal Entry 6 by tom-m from Ulaan Baatar, Ulaan Baatar Mongolia on Wednesday, September 15, 2004

This is the followup to Armstong's first book, _It's Not About the Bike_, which covers his recovery from cancer and his first two Tour de France vistories. In this one, he continues his racing career through Tour victories three four and, briefly, five. He also continues his involvement with cancer research and helping others with the disease. He and his wife have two more children, twin girls, but find their marriage in trouble. Armstrong seems to be fully honest on the subject and by the end of the book there is a glimpse of hope the family would stay together. Sadly, as we know from events after the book was written, the marriage did eventually fall apart.

In this sequel, we see a bit more of the man inside the bicycle racer and cancer survivor. We see some of his ideas on the nature of life and death and what it means to truly live. In some ways this is a deeper book than the first, although not quite so inspirational. Still, very good and Sally Jenkins once again proves to be an excellent co-author. The book is easy to read and the story never drags, even when it dips into personal philosophy.

As a side note, I read most of the book on September 11th, the third anniversary of the attacks. Lance discusses them, too, along with his feelings about the events and his personal experiences when he goes to New York to support the thousands of men and women who worked at the site. The coincidence of my date of reading made that part of the story more poignant somehow.

Journal Entry 7 by tom-m at Browns Mills Post Office in Browns Mills, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Released 13 yrs ago (9/15/2004 UTC) at Browns Mills Post Office in Browns Mills, New Jersey USA

mailed to your-book-fairy in Brooklyn, NY

Thanks, BunnyBee, for sharing it with us!

Journal Entry 8 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Friday, September 17, 2004

Just got this one in the mail, just in time for a relaxing weekend spent reading. I'm 25% of my way through a novel I traded with another BC-er, but I'm not loving it, so I welcome the chance to take a break from it.

Thanks bunnybee and tom-m for getting this to me!

Journal Entry 9 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Saturday, September 18, 2004

Yes, I agree, not as inspirational as the first, and while the book follows a timeline of his past few Tour victories, there were still some parts that seemed sort of random or all over the place, and in some cases were repetitive. But it was still a quick, enjoyable read. You don't have to be a biking fanatic to get into the behind the scenes preparation and emotion of the races, and I really liked his honesty about his shortcomings, especially in relation to his marriage. I also enjoyed that most of the book seemed very much in his style and his voice, at least as I've heard him in interviews, unlike some other autobiographies I've read that included a co-author.

I'll be dropping this in a mailbox today for labmomnm.

Journal Entry 10 by winglabmomnmwing from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Friday, September 24, 2004

Received in the mail from your-book-fairy...I'm not believing that note from Lance for a second, y-b-f!!!! Nice try :-)

10/1/04 - I really enjoyed this, and in some ways I think it is even more inspirational in a general way than "It's Not About the Bike". This one deals more with day-to-day living, which applies more to those of us who aren't dealing with cancer in our own bodies, and I found to be inspirational in that sense - how do you deal with what life throws at you? Not making much sense here, am I?!

10/2/04 - mailed to Ada2

Journal Entry 11 by Ada2 from North Avoca, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 11, 2004

This arrived in yesterday's post. Thanks Bunnybee and labmomnm - looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 12 by Ada2 from North Avoca, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 25, 2004

This was a terrific read: inspirational, honest, moving...I haven't read the first one, but as a stand alone work it is very powerful. I was impressed at how honest he is about his frustrations and shortcomings and the few times he loses patience - makes him seem like anyone else you might meet. Also about the difficulties in his marriage. One has a sense of the way he protects the feelings of those friends and family he mentions in the book. An admirable character and a book about human endurance and hope. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and felt challenged by it. Thanks bunnybee. On to Readinator tomorrow!

Journal Entry 13 by Readinator from Woodend, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Received from Ada2. Not sure when as the post office has been withholding our mail! Thanks Ada2 and bunnybee for sharing. Will read and pass on to the next participant.

Journal Entry 14 by Readinator from Woodend, Victoria Australia on Monday, December 06, 2004

I really enjoyed this, and I'm looking forward to the first one (also a bookring book) now, especially as I've been told the mole that was removed from my leg last week was a malignant. It's inspiring to hear Lance came out of his bout with cancer to become a brilliant athlete and a cancer survivor with real compassion for others. Thanks, bunnybee for sharing!

I will send this off to Wilmar in the Netherlands in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 15 by Readinator from Woodend, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, January 26, 2005

After having been laid up with a leg operation since Christmas, I am happily toddling around again. In fact I just toddled off to the Post Office and have posted the book via Airmail to Wilmar in the Netherlands. Thank you so much bunnybee for sharing this one.

Journal Entry 16 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, February 12, 2005

Hi all!

I received Lance today (thank you very much Readinator, also for the fotograph: it's fantastic that through BookCrossing I'm learning about places, continents even, that I've never been to :) :) - Very much hope that you're doing better now). As a booklover who also _loves_ sports I didn't want to miss the opportunity to read this one!

But (un)fortunately a stream of BookRings and -Rays is finding its way to my house, so this one has to wait a bit longer.

You'll hear from me!

Annemarie

Journal Entry 17 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 11, 2005

I finished the book yesterday.

It was a nice read, well written and interesting. But... a few things disappointed me: a couple of times I had the feeling that Armstrong was trying to make himself 'look as good as possible'. It was as if he was looking for excuses for certain things that happened the way they happened. Per example the part where he comes into a quarrel with Marco Pantani ('elefantino'), the Italian athlete (who, by the way, died recently, because of an overdose cocaine. In Europe there are rumours that it was suicide.) Or when he explains he doubled his team mates' bonus. Don't get me wrong: I think it's great he did that, but reading it this way seems 'showing off' to me.

I also expected the book to be more written from within Armstrong himself. I don't know if I can explain properly, but I expected to learn more about what he's actually _feeling_ when he's riding a race.

But all in all I thought it was a very nice read. I liked the parts where Armstrong is telling about his children; the way he experiences religion and his life philosophy.

Very funny to me was when he explained the word vollebak (in fact he means 'volle bak' (so that's two words) his coach Johan uses this word). He says it's a Flemish word and it means 'full speed'. It is in fact a Dutch word (The Flemish and the Dutch both speak the same language), and it means literally 'full (= volle; an adjective) bin/bucket/basket' (=bak; a noun). Indeed you say 'volle bak' when you're going 'all the way', until you're completely empty. It's a typical sports saying.

I could understand his feelings toward the French. My father (who's Dutch) is living in France, actually also very close to Nice, where Armstrong used to live, and I can imagine what he discribes about their attitude towards him. As the journalist said: "The French don't like the winner, they like the runner up". I think you can add to that: The French _do_ like the winner, as long as he's French.

I hope Armstrong will continue to do his wonderful work with his LAF, I hope he will stay sound, and I'm defenitely going to read his other books.

Well everybody, I hope you don't mind my 'European background information'. I thought it might be interesting, if not SORRY ;)

Bunnybee, I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this book. I'm sending it on to Margih in Finland today.

Journal Entry 18 by Margih from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, March 31, 2005

The book arrived today, thanks Bunnybee and Wilmar :) And Wilmar, very beautiful postcard, thanks for that, too!

Journal Entry 19 by Margih from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 28, 2005

Cycling is not so common as sports here in Finland, one reason for that may be our climate. But I wanted to read this book because my son loves cycling and triathlon. Lance Armstron is of course well known here in Finland, too, and we all know the Tour de France. And Lance Armstrong´s fight against the cancer has touched our hearts, too. We Finns are the nation of ice hockey and our big hero, Saku Koivu, who plays at NHL in Canada, has faced this terrible disease, too. And it was interesting that Saku Koivu is mentioned in this book, too!

Anyway, this book was very interesting and easy to read. But, the lifestory of Armstrong seems a bit too "perfect" considering all the difficulties. It´s like that the story doesn´t tell all the negative sides. But, I did enjoy this book and I think that some day I´m gonna read his first book, too. And surely, Tour de France is now much more interesting to me than it used to be. I can´t remember that I´ve ever followed the race properly.

Thanks, Bunnybee, for taking me in the ring. The book started yesterday its journey to RikkiDD in Germany.

Journal Entry 20 by wingRikkiDDwing from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The book received yesterday and I already started to read it. So it wont take long before it gets on its way again.
------------------------------------------------
edit 19th April 2005
I really liked his first book (It's not about a bike) and I liked reading this one too.
He is a world-firstclass athlete and together with the co-author a very good storyteller.
Only in the end he got a bit a kind of hectic.
Nevertheless, the book is really worthreading not only for fans of bike-races also for those who enjoy reading a lively story.

Journal Entry 21 by wingRikkiDDwing at mailed to a fellow bookcrosser in N/A, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 20, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (5/20/2005 UTC) at mailed to a fellow bookcrosser in N/A, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Alabama by surface mail

Journal Entry 22 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, June 11, 2005

This one arrived safely in Alabama, USA today - hours ahead of the first tropical storm of the season! Will journal again when read.

Journal Entry 23 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, July 09, 2005

Well, I consider myself VERY lucky with my timing on this book! It arrived amidst a stack of bookring volumes, and when I picked it up it was the second day of the Tour de France. This book, even more than the first, has heightened my enjoyment of the nightly television coverage of the Tour. In fact, just after reading Lance's discussion of bikes not having chains, George Hincapie used the phrase in an interview. I felt so "in the know"!

I found the book very poignant, with its focus on Kik and the children, particularly Luke, knowing that while the book focuses on valuing and saving the marriage, it is now over.

And I found Lance to be surprisingly humble and human in some places, such as when he was invited to visit NYC firefighters immediately after 9/11.

Honestly, I was prepared to dislike Lance in this book as a cocky, self-impressed, philandering man. He did not come across that way at all, and now I like him even more than ever.

This will be on its way as soon as I hear from the next one in line. And as a side note, this book arrived just hours ahead of our first tropical storm of the year, and I am posting during preparations for our first major hurricane of the year, Dennis.

Journal Entry 24 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, July 23, 2005

In mail to Wisconsin today.

Journal Entry 25 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, July 28, 2005

I came home from work today to find this book had arrived, just few days after Lance Armstrong won his 7th Tour. It's always a good day when a book arrives!

Some of the front pages are a little loose, so I'll re-glue them before reading it.

Journal Entry 26 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005

I started and finished the book today. I think this is a more interesting book than his first - It's Not About the Bike, which I have read through a bookring. That book was about what he did when he found he might die, and this book is about what he did when he found he would not.

However, I think the message may not be what he intended it to be. He says repeatedly how his experience taught him to focus single-mindedly on what he wanted to achieve. And yet, in fact, he went after everything he wanted all at once - bicycle racing, fund-raising, and having a family. Only near the end of the book does he begin to realize that he has overextended himself. I think it looks a lot like a premature mid-life crisis. Maybe that's a natural consequence of his experience, but it isn't the one he articulates.

I especially enjoyed his narratives of several Tours he was in, and was interested in his recounting of some major bicycle accidents. As a daily bicycle commuter and occasional long distance rider, I could easily relate. Having been injured in two serious car/bicycle accidents myself, I had no trouble understanding why he would get back on his bike as soon as he was able. He says he will probably still be riding regularly when he is 50, as if that were somehow unthinkable. Guess what? I turned 50 this year and have been riding regularly for about 45 of those years, although never competitively.

Thanks Bunnybee, for providing the opportunity to read a book I've been intending to for a long time. (The photo was taken July 4, 2004, just before a 50 miler that I recently repeated. I know the colors are obnoxious; but getting looked at is a good thing.)

I've PM'ed Sherria, and will be shipping the book after I get the address. Meanwhile, I think I'll wrap it up and store it in one of my panniers. I already carry a laptop, a lunch, and a change of clothes to and from work every day - let's see how many bicycle miles this book can log before it gets sent.

August 1, 2005 - 18.5 miles
August 2, 2005 - 33.5 miles
August 3, 2005 - 48.4 miles
August 4, 2005 - 67.0 miles
August 5, 2005 - 87.3 miles
August 8, 2005 - 103.4 miles

Journal Entry 27 by TomHl at controlled release in -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Monday, August 08, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (8/8/2005 UTC) at controlled release in -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA

I received the address over the weekend, so I bicycled the book to work one last time today, and then to the post office at lunch time, for a total of 103.4 bicycle miles. Maybe some later journalers will be able to add to that, even if just a little.

The book was sent from the Pewaukee Wisconsin post office today via media mail. It should arrive in about a week.

Journal Entry 28 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Monday, August 15, 2005

I love coming home to find books in my mailbox, and this one that I'm definitely looking forward to. I'm a huge Lance Armstrong fan and can't wait to see what follows "It's Not About the Bike". Thanks for sharing this Bunnybee, and thanks to TomHI for passing it on. I'll get to it ASAP.

Journal Entry 29 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Thursday, August 18, 2005

I admit it...I'm a huge Lance Armstrong fan. His picture is the wallpaper on both my home computer and my work one. I follow the Tour reports religiously via the internet since my cable company doesn't carry a channel that broadcasts it. I've had a LiveSTRONG bracelet since before they were "trendy". I'm utterly awestruck by this man.

This book gave me another piece of Lance to admire - his will to continue to LIVE, after he found out that he wasn't going to die. I enjoyed the look inside his troubled homelife and what appeared to be genuine amazement about his children. My favourite part, though, was the final afterward. The brief look at his 5th Tour win, when things didn't go well and he had to battle his personal demons and disappointments along with the physical punishment of the race just confirmed for me what a truly amazing man he is.

Thanks so much for sharing this with me bunnybee, and to TomHI for passing it on. I'll mail it out to the next participant tomorrow.

**missed the mail on Friday, so it went out via media mail on Monday 8/22**

Journal Entry 30 by batty14 from Schuylerville, New York USA on Friday, August 26, 2005

Arrived today! I am very excited to read this one. Of course my husband my steal it before I get a chance to read it!

Journal Entry 31 by batty14 at sending in the mail in Ballston Spa, New York USA on Sunday, September 11, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (9/10/2005 UTC) at sending in the mail in Ballston Spa, New York USA

Mailed off as part of the Bookring.

Journal Entry 32 by 4-lele from Elmhurst, Illinois USA on Friday, September 16, 2005

arrived SAFE and SOUND in my mailbox on 9/15. I have another bookring book that arrived a few days before to finish first! I see that I am last on the list right now - what would you like me to do with it when I'm done? I know another bookcrosser that might be interested, should I check and see if she would like it?

Journal Entry 33 by 4-lele at ATI - 635 Executive Dr. - Willowbrook, Illinois in Willowbrook, Illinois USA on Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (2/7/2006 UTC) at ATI - 635 Executive Dr. - Willowbrook, Illinois in Willowbrook, Illinois USA

Thanks Bunnybee for sharing this book, I have read all 3 of Armstrong's books and this is my favorite!

I have both Child and Adult size "LIVESTRONG" bracelets, PM if you would like one!

This book is being released at ATI - Athletic & Therapeutic Institute Great facility for rehabilitation and athletic training with a dedicated and knowledgeable staff!

This book is being released for Keep Them Moving Release Challenge

Welcome to BookCrossing!
Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the Bookcrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!).
If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by 4-lele. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to "catch". Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.