corner corner Lucky : A Memoir

Lucky : A Memoir
by Alice Sebold | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by SandDanz of New Albany, Indiana USA on 7/30/2004

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Friday, July 30, 2004

A VERY good, but sad book... I read this after having read The Lovely Bones which is also vey good!

Journal Entry 2 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Monday, December 13, 2004

reserved for gidget2

Journal Entry 3 by SandDanz at Sent via media mail at New Albany, IN post office in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Released on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at about 2:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Sent via media mail at New Albany, IN post office in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser Controlled Releases.

sent to gidget2 as part of a trade... thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by lindberghbaby from Hebron, Kentucky USA on Monday, January 10, 2005

Just recieved in the mail today I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by lindberghbaby from Hebron, Kentucky USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

I absolutly loved haveing the oppertunity to read this book Thank you SandDanz now I'll be sending off to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 6 by busybooklover on Thursday, March 24, 2005

I received this awhile ago and thought I had journalled it as received.. I kept hearing how intense it was and wanted to read it. I have "Lovely Bones" but have not read it yet... it seemed so morbid and the time never seemed right to pick it up. Several people praised "Lucky" and were emphatic I should read "Lucky" first. I recently read another memoir (Autobiography of a Face-Lucy Grealy) and I was in the right frame of mind for this introspective soul-searching journey. The book was riveting. I felt repulsion, compassion, sadness, disbelief, shock and frustration that such a seemingly strong woman had such a burdensome road to justice. What I came away with is that rape is is a violent life-changing event that robs victims and anyone elses lifes who it touches of so much more than the act. I now see it in terms of not really healing... emotional wounds don't really ever go away...they become part of who you are in such an insidious way. It seems victims are faced with an eternally evolving journey of self acceptance. My heart goes out to anyone in this situation and I applaud the author for having the strength to share her story.

Journal Entry 7 by busybooklover at on Thursday, March 24, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (3/24/2005 UTC) at

Mailed to Dusties to grant a wish on relay site! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by Dusties from Pompey, New York USA on Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I feel... "Lucky" today!

Journal Entry 9 by Dusties from Pompey, New York USA on Monday, December 04, 2006

Excellent Book! My daughter actually read it before me and she too loved it. I'm not quite 100% sure what I am going to do with the book as everything that took place in this book I have been too.. I live just a lil south of Syracuse. I feel a bit connected to the whole book. I'm so intrigued, I'm probably going to do a lil research and see who the real DA was as well as the real name of the defendant and his attorney. I wonder if this guy is out of jail yet and walking the streets my daughter will be walking next year when she attends SU. Sort of make me worried already... but we all know you don't go to Thorden Park or through it at night. I am sure the streets were safer in 81... Oh I could go on and on. Alice is a true Trooper and Kudo's to her for her willpower!

Journal Entry 10 by Dusties from Pompey, New York USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Reserverd

Journal Entry 11 by Dusties from Pompey, New York USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Sending to lukutuoli as part of the reverse wishlist relay

Journal Entry 12 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, March 12, 2007

It's my turn to be "Lucky" ;) Thanks for sharing the book, Dusties!

Journal Entry 13 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 05, 2007

This was a book which aroused difficult feelings - anxiety, anger and sadness. I tried to imagine how one would feel to read this if one had experienced rape. Though the theme was not easy, I liked the book as I liked The Lovely Bones, too.
I've promised to send the book next to brewski.

Journal Entry 14 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 07, 2007

Thanks lukutuoli, I received this in my mailbox today. I am looking forward to reading this soon.

Journal Entry 15 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Reading this made me vaguely ashamed to be a guy...but the book was extremely well written and very engaging. I can't help but admire Sebold's ability to cope with such a horrific ordeal, and to manage to make the reader laugh at times. Amazing!

Journal Entry 16 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 25, 2007

Dropped this in the mail on the way to work this morning for MomsL8.

Journal Entry 17 by brewski at Fenton, Missouri USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (6/25/2007 UTC) at Fenton, Missouri USA