corner corner The Demolished Man

The Demolished Man
by Alfred Bester | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by strangerthantho of Edgerton, Ohio USA on Thursday, August 29, 2002

status (set by VeganMedusa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by strangerthantho from Edgerton, Ohio USA on Thursday, August 29, 2002

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by strangerthantho at please use CONTROLLED RELEASES country in Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, February 03, 2003

Released on Monday, February 03, 2003 at releasing to fellow bookcrosser in BROOKLYN, New York USA.

Journal Entry 3 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, February 14, 2003

Thanks! It goes into the pile to be read!

Journal Entry 4 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, February 24, 2003

Promised to another BC'er.

Journal Entry 5 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, March 02, 2003

Since this book was the first to win a Hugo award (presented by the World Science Fiction Society), I was very interested in reading it. I expect it was much more cutting edge in the early 50's when it was written, but still a good story.

Journal Entry 6 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, March 20, 2003

On it's way to a fellow BC'er. Delayed sending so that my SigOther could read it.

Journal Entry 7 by avanta7 on Saturday, March 29, 2003

Received in the mail today. Thank you, Jaelle!

Journal Entry 8 by avanta7 on Saturday, July 19, 2003

Promised to appaloosatb.

Journal Entry 9 by avanta7 on Saturday, January 10, 2004

In 2301 A.D., guns are only museum pieces and benign telepaths sweep the minds of the populace to detect crimes before they happen. In 2301 A.D., homicide is virtually impossible -- but one man is about to change that.

In this classic science fiction novel, the first to win the prestigious Hugo Award, a psychopathic business magnate devises the ultimate scheme to eliminate the competition and destroy the order of his society. Hurtling from the orgies of a future aristocracy to a deep space game preserve, and across densely realized subcultures of psychic doctors, grifters, and police,
The Demolished Man is a masterpiece of high-tech suspense, set in a world in which everything has changed except for the ancient instinct for murder. (From the back cover)

It's truly a joy to read classic SF that holds up so well. This excellent story hasn't been dated much by advances in science over the last five decades. It's fast-paced, hardcore SF that presents futuristic technology without venturing into Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers hokiness. The premise is plausible and well-developed, if a trifle predictable (my jaded SF/police procedural-accustomed brain figured out the "mystery" about 2/3rds through).

I got a chuckle out of some of the names: 1/4maine; @kins, Wyg&. Clever. Oh, and I loved the sing-song rhyme that plays a major role: "Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun."

Journal Entry 10 by avanta7 on Saturday, January 17, 2004

Mailed to appaloosatb today.

Journal Entry 11 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Friday, January 23, 2004

This arrived today and onto Mount TBR it goes... thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

This book has been in my possession way too long. Sorry! *embarrassed blush* I''ll be passing it on soon.

Journal Entry 13 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mailing to shnedwards. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Arrived today! Thanks very much appa!

Journal Entry 15 by wingshnedwardswing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2012

Funny how some 1950s sci-fi seems like steampunk these days. This one is set in the 24th century and features a room-sized computer that operates by being fed punched cards and outputs its results on ticker tape.

Overall I didn't warm to this book much. I didn't like any of the characters and felt sceptical about various aspects of the plot most of the way through, but especially after page 200, when my suspension of disbelief failed completely.

To be sent to VeganMedusa in NZ shortly.

Journal Entry 16 by wingshnedwardswing at trade, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/5/2012 UTC) at trade, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

On its way to VeganMedusa by surface mail.

Journal Entry 17 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Thanks, shnedwards!