corner corner The Rice Mother

The Rice Mother
by Rani Manicka | Literature & Fiction
Registered by emmafiles of Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on 7/23/2004

status (set by Pell): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by emmafiles from Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on Friday, July 23, 2004

"A glimpse through a closing door into a vanishing world where three generations of women encounter love, war, duty and hope."

Journal Entry 2 by emmafiles from Murrumba Downs, Queensland Australia on Saturday, August 07, 2004

This book was sitting in the mountain of TBR, so I am sending it to JDT through bookrelay. Hope you get a chance to read it before I would have! :)

Journal Entry 3 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Thursday, November 04, 2004

Can't resist a book with a description, title, cover art like this. And the journey from Queensland to California is a bonus!

Thanks for your book relay and the beautiful postcard, Felicia-Fairy!

Journal Entry 4 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Sent to Bulan-Purnama - part of my 900th book registered RABCK Celebration!
Thanks for celebrating with me!

Journal Entry 5 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Sunday, March 13, 2005

Book arrived safely in Springfield.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to celebrate with your 900th books registered. I know, I will enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 6 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 07, 2006

Indeed, I have enjoyed reading The Rice Mother. An enchanting, engrossing tale where three generations of women encounter love, war, duty and hope.

Lakshmi the matriach of the family who married Ayah a widower, travelled with him to Malaysia where he came from. Between them they had five children. They had a good life, then, Japenese ocupation changed everything. Mohini their twin and favorite daughter, captured toward the end of ocupation, killed by the Japenese. This tragedy changed their life comepletely.

A book written with such passion is hard to put down. I would really like to read the continuation of this great women in the novel. A splendid reading, the best book I have read in 2005!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLOSED

B O O K R A Y

Because is such a wonderful book, I am offering as a bookray.

There is no complicated rules in this bookray. My request, when you received the book please journal so we know it has arrive safely.

Journal again when finished with your thought. This is a paperback with 580 pages. A daunting prospect for slow reader such as I. No need to worry, a 3 month duration to read this book is quite reasonable, don't you think? No more than 4 month please, as there are others who want to read as well.

I don't want the book back. Therefore, the last person may decide to continue the ray, RABCK, offer at bookrelay or wild release. Your choice which is convenient for you. That is all.

Happy Reading!

Pell, EU/International

joanthro, US/International

scrutiny, Asia/International

Shelly-Sparkles, Australia

Journal Entry 7 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Friday, July 28, 2006

After a respite in Oregon, this wonderful book is on its way around the globe. Travel well little book you will meet many friends along the way.

Let the bookray begin........

Enjoy everyone!

Journal Entry 8 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Thursday, August 03, 2006

Received in the post today. Will be starting this weekend. I already pmed stormon so that once finished, I can get this ray right out to her. Thank you for including me.

I am very sorry for the delay in getting this one out. I have recontacted Stormon for the address again as the computer that I have it saved on is not functional at this time. This book was posted to Sweden on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 @ 8:30 a.m. I hope she enjoys this read as much as I did.

Journal Entry 9 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Sunday, April 08, 2007

spaceystacey, you have The Rice Mother since August, could you at least have the courtesy to let me know what is going on?

There are others waiting for this book!!!

Journal Entry 10 by lostbookisland on Saturday, April 28, 2007

This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.

Journal Entry 11 by stormon from Storfors, Värmland Sweden on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The book arrived yesterday

Journal Entry 12 by stormon from Storfors, Värmland Sweden on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I really loved this book! A beautiful story written in a beautiful language. Thank you for sharing!
I will send this on as sonn as I get the address of milly1401.

Journal Entry 13 by milly1401 from Kelty, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 30, 2007

received today as part of bookring. looking forward to reading it.
Update: enjoyed this to start with then got side tracked and just couldn't get back into it again. My fault entirely! have kept this far too long so am pming next in line to sned it on its way

Journal Entry 14 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, November 22, 2007

Oh my, I have just gone to post my review of the book, when I realised that I hadn't journaled it's arrival. It arrived on 29th October. - Apologies!

The very gentle story of Lakshmi, who has an arranged marriage to Ayah a widower with two children. Lakshmi returns to Malaysia with her new husband and finds that financially things are not as they were promised and so follows a life of hardship, love, duty and family life. The book follows the family from their six children and various spouses, hardships and the Second World War when the Japanese invaded, and the shocking atrocities that occurred, and the diaries that one of Lakshmi's children leaves behind.

I have the address for sujie, so this will be in the post to Australia in the next few days.

Journal Entry 15 by Sujie from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 03, 2007

A very fast trip to Oz, thanks, Angler's Rest. Sometimes mail from Sydney takes three or four days! Looking forward to this. I have a few books ahead of it but hope to finish by Christmas...thanks for the generous allocation of reading time, Bulan-Purnama.

Journal Entry 16 by Sujie from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 07, 2008

I found the writing a bit florid, yet in places beautifully poetic. I think perhaps it would have been even more moving (and I did find it very moving) if it had been a bit more economic.
Although the book is touted (on back cover)as "a glimpse into a vanishing world", many scenes resonated with me, having spent three years in Malaysia (albeit East Malaysia) recently.
The belief in ghosts is still so potent. I went on a retreat with a group of ten (doctors, nurses, educated people) from the cancer hospice I volunteered for, and all the women (except for two of us westerners) opted to share one room even though they had booked enough rooms to have one each. One of them had discerned a presence.
There were lots of wonderful smells and tastes of Asia in there for me. Lots of memories. Thanks for this, Bulan-Purnama and felicia-fairy.
Posting to okyrhoe today.

Journal Entry 17 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Arrived today. Thanks Bulan-Purnama for including me in the bookray, and Sujie for posting it to me.

Best wishes for 2008, everyone!

Journal Entry 18 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The story of the Rice Mother and her family is the kind of narrative I like to read. But, as Sujie noted above, the writing style is overly florid, and more often than not it competes for attention against the heart-wrenching plot. I couldn't resolve the contrast between these two elements.
It is regrettable that the author could not control her stylistic garrulousness. I so much wanted the characters to speak for themselves, but time and time again their humanity was drowned in the ocean of detailed descriptions of objects, landscapes, historical events, etc. For me this superfluousness created a distraction preventing the reader the opportunity to immerse oneself into the heart/soul of the character(s).

Oddly enough, I liked the Sevenese segment more than most of the other passages of the novel.

Journal Entry 19 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It arrived today.
Thanks for sending it and for the postcard, okyrhoe! I'll treat it as a b-day present, as this is my birthday :) (in Portugal it's already past midnight, so 13th March!)

Journal Entry 20 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Thursday, April 03, 2008

A lovely and fantastic story of three generations of a family in Malaysia.
A great reading! Thanks for sharing, Bulan-Purnama!

On its way to seethroughfaith, as soon as I have the adress.

Journal Entry 21 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, May 26, 2008

Posted on 21 May and arrived here already today. Wow :) Thank you Elsita! I loved reading through all the entries too - what a well-travelled and well loved book. A favourite in 2005 it seems. Wondering how it will impact me now in May 2008.

Grains of rice stick to her body but time will not touch her. She is the keeper of dreams... This is a timely comment given the 2008 world rice shortage

Journal Entry 22 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Loving this book.

Hoping to finish it over the next few days - and pass it over to Hippolein at Suomenlinna at the weekend. I passed this on to Hippolein at the BC kesäpäivät in suomenlinna even though I haven't quite finished the book.

I am travelling for the next two weeks so this seemed a sensible way so as not to stall the book. when he is done he'll send it to me and I'll read it and then get it on its way to the next in the ring.

Journal Entry 23 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

(sorry, didn't notice I forgot this book ... got 15 during the meetup in Suomenlinna and this one somehow got on the wrong place)

Seetroughfaith gave me this book during the big Bookcrosser meetup in Helsinki, so that Teddyke and I could read it the next weeks and we'll send it then back to her (so she can finish it).

Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 24 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm sorry it took this long, and still more sorry that this was not my type of book. My wife read it and said it was special, a good read, but I just didn't get into the story :-(

Seethroughfaith sent me an e-mail that she didn't want to have the book back after all, so will try to get in touch with the next person to send it on!

Journal Entry 25 by winghippoleinwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 18, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/18/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book leaves today for the next person in the list.
Hope it arrives fast in Germany.
Have fun reading it!

Journal Entry 26 by quak from München, Bayern Germany on Monday, July 21, 2008

Arrived today. Thank you very much. There are some other rings before this book, but I'll try to hurry :)

08.12.08: Sorry, because it took me a while to read the book, although I liked it. The first part about Lakshmi was very interesting. And the last part about Dimple again. The part in the middle was a bit confusing and I did not get sooo immersed - probably because it was told in a shorter way. To get different perspectives of the different characters was much to my liking. It was also possible to get an insight into the life in Malaya at Lakshmis time, which I found to be very interesting.
Thanks for sharing this interesting book.

Journal Entry 27 by quak at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Thursday, December 18, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (12/17/2008 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

On its way to Greece. Best wishes from Germany!

Journal Entry 28 by kihli from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Monday, December 22, 2008

just arrived! thanks!

Journal Entry 29 by kihli from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Saturday, February 21, 2009

it took me a long time to finish a book this time-not that it wasn't interesting,just that life got in the way...I liked the book,it's another generation (actually,MORE generations),another era,another country. Sometimes I was a bit tired of the details but overall it was a nice read.

thank you! it's going to travel some time during the week...

Journal Entry 30 by kihli at Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece

going to Pell,finally :)

Journal Entry 31 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Sunday, April 05, 2009

Thank you kihli for sending the book, it arrived safe and sound I do hope that I dont take too long to read it as I have a couple of others that arrived with it, but will try to read as hard as I can. Looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 32 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Monday, May 11, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, I am sorry its rather late I havent had that much time to read lately, I hope this hasnt caused a problem.

Journal Entry 33 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Posted off today from Canino to Srutiny in Hong Kong.