corner corner Under the Banner of Heaven : A Story of Violent Faith

Under the Banner of Heaven : A Story of Violent Faith
by Jon Krakauer | Nonfiction
Registered by Alainas of New Orleans, Louisiana USA on 7/13/2004

status (set by sarahbear): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Alainas from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, July 13, 2004

What the cover says: "On July 24, 1984, a woman and her infant daughter were murdered by two brothers who believed they were ordered to kill by God. The roots of their crime lie deep in the history of an AMerican religion practiced by millions . . . ."

Journal Entry 2 by Alainas from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2004

WHAT a mis up this trade turned out to be! (All my fault). I was thinking of another book entirely. But as all things finally work out, Under the Banner was mailed today on November 30. Sorry for all the mishaps. Thanks, Melanie (Alainas)

Journal Entry 3 by rainflower from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Received in a trade from Alainis. I look forward to reading this one as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 4 by rainflower from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, December 28, 2004

This was a very interesting and very disturbing book.

Journal Entry 5 by rainflower from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Sending to a fellow bookcrosser as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 6 by lolamarie from Klamath Falls, Oregon USA on Thursday, September 29, 2005

Received today. Thanks for the RABCK rainflower!

Journal Entry 7 by lolamarie from Klamath Falls, Oregon USA on Saturday, September 16, 2006

I found this book disturbing and fascinating. I'm planning on releasing this as a bookray.

From Amazon.com
In 1984, Ron and Dan Lafferty murdered the wife and infant daughter of their younger brother Allen. The crimes were noteworthy not merely for their brutality but for the brothers' claim that they were acting on direct orders from God. In Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer tells the story of the killers and their crime but also explores the shadowy world of Mormon fundamentalism from which the two emerged. The Mormon Church was founded, in part, on the idea that true believers could speak directly with God. But while the mainstream church attempted to be more palatable to the general public by rejecting the controversial tenet of polygamy, fundamentalist splinter groups saw this as apostasy and took to the hills to live what they believed to be a righteous life. When their beliefs are challenged or their patriarchal, cult-like order defied, these still-active groups, according to Krakauer, are capable of fighting back with tremendous violence. While Krakauer's research into the history of the church is admirably extensive, the real power of the book comes from present-day information, notably jailhouse interviews with Dan Lafferty. Far from being the brooding maniac one might expect, Lafferty is chillingly coherent, still insisting that his motive was merely to obey God's command. Krakauer's accounts of the actual murders are graphic and disturbing, but such detail makes the brothers' claim of divine instruction all the more horrifying.
***
The usual bookray "rules" apply. Please make a journal entry when you receive the book and then again when you send it on. Please PM me if you run into any problems (such as finishing the book in a timely manner, which means 4-6 weeks). Check back here before sending the book on, as the shipping order may have changed since this ray will remain open. If you are the last person on the ray, feel free to do what you like with the book once you're done reading it - continue the ray, RABCK it, or release the book into the wild. Enjoy!

shellheap - USA (ship USA)(done)
andersor - USA (ship intl)(done)
tenneh - USA (ship USA)(done)
mustytomes - USA (ship intl)(done)
lynlee4 - USA (will ship intl, prefers USA)(done)
esq228 - USA (ship USA)(done)
fungirl503 - USA (ship intl)(done)
MissTerry - Germany (will ship intl, prefers Europe)(done)
toyjoy - Singapore (ship intl)(done)
BellaMack - Australia(ship Australia) (done)

Journal Entry 8 by shellheap from Dover, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 16, 2006

Rec'd in the mail days ago. Sorry to be so slow journalling!

Journal Entry 9 by shellheap from Dover, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 28, 2006

I couldn't really get into this book--I was impressed by the amount of research, but found it very dense and hard to follow. I loved Into Thin Air, though, by the same author. Will send on to andersor today.

Journal Entry 10 by andersor from San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Arrived in Monday's mail. I am in the middle of another bookring, but I will pass it on as soon as I can!
Thanks for sharing.

12/15 - This was a great book! I found it very interesting, and I really learned a lot.
I already have the next address, and I will be sending it out today.

Journal Entry 11 by tenneh from Verdon, Nebraska USA on Monday, December 18, 2006

Received today - will get to it asap!

I really enjoyed reading this book although it wasn't easy to read. It has a lot of Mormom history that I had to concentrate on. I did like the fact that the author put the LDS church's criticism of the book in his appendix (and his rebuttal to the criticism).

Journal Entry 12 by tenneh at Controlled Postal Release in Falls City, Nebraska USA on Monday, January 15, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (1/17/2007 UTC) at Controlled Postal Release in Falls City, Nebraska USA

going to mustytomes

Journal Entry 13 by mustytomes from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, January 29, 2007

Got it - Will read as soon as I finish Reading Lolita in Tehran

Journal Entry 14 by mustytomes from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Others have taken the words out of my mouth: this book is both fascinating and disturbing. I would even go so far as to say that it's fascinating *because* it's so disturbing. I came into the book with some basic knowledge of Mormon theology, history, and splinter sects, and the information that was new to me was well-explained so I didn't have any difficulties following Krakauer's thought process. If there's a moral to tale, I suppose its the old adage: power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

On its way to lynlee4.

Journal Entry 15 by lynlee4 from North Port, Florida USA on Friday, February 23, 2007

Ugh! I received a few days ago and really tried to give it a go but invoked the 50 page rule. The story is interesting but I found the author so biased that it's hard for me to trust what he has to say. I'm not very familiar with any "organized" religion, they all make me uncomfortable. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this bookring and will send to esq228 as soon as I get the addy.

Journal Entry 16 by lynlee4 from North Port, Florida USA on Saturday, March 03, 2007

sent out via media mail today to esq228

Journal Entry 17 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Thursday, March 08, 2007

Received yesterday. PLanning to start on it tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 18 by StinaRy from Long Beach, California USA on Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just finished this one last night. I'm with the majority who found the book fascinating and disturbing. But I don't understand lynlee4's comment that the book is so biased in the first 50 pages that she couldn't get past it. I didn't see that at all. In fact, I thought the opposite was true -- I wasn't sure whose side the author was on at first. And even once that became clear, I'd hardly say the book is a full-on attack on anything . . . I thought Krakauer presented the information in a remarkably nonconfrontational manner, when he really could have been quite vicious. Also, while I started the book with only a very limited knowledge of Mormonisn and its various splinter groups (learned primarily from TV), I didn't find the book difficult or dense in the least. I actually thought it flowed quite nicely and told an amazing story. The last couple of chapters seemed to flow less well, thus the 9 and not the 10.

Will be sending on to the next reader as soon as I have an address.

3/21/07 Update: Sent today to fungirl503 via media mail.

Journal Entry 19 by fungirl503 from Portland, Oregon USA on Wednesday, March 28, 2007

this book had alot of history about the latter day saints. I have read another books on the history. It is hard to believe that god told Dan and ron two brothers to killed brenda and erica. It is so hard to believe the court system and the trails that went on.
This book is going to missterry

Journal Entry 20 by fungirl503 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA on Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (3/28/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA

going to missterry who is next for this book

Journal Entry 21 by MissTerry from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 18, 2007

Arrived back at work today after a week's holiday to find this book waiting for me on my desk. Very good timing as I have just finished a book. Will start over the weekend.

Journal Entry 22 by MissTerry from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 24, 2007

Like readers before me I also found the book both facinating and disturbing. I did not know alot about the Mormon religion before reading this, so I have learnt alot. But I did have to perserve at times as alot of ground was covered (although on the whole I think this was necessary).

Will PM toyjoy for their postal address.

Journal Entry 23 by MissTerry from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Posted to toyjoy last Friday. Coming by airmail.

Journal Entry 24 by toyjoy on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hi everyone! Just a note to inform that I will be slow in moving the book as I’m have a few books in queue! Hope you don’t mind!

Journal Entry 25 by toyjoy on Thursday, July 31, 2008

01/08/08
I find it rather contravening for such a religon to exist nowadays especially the recent news a family was secluded from the outside world for over 10 years sounds like the Mormon beliefs. I do respect every religons as I'm a Free Thinker. But I condemn those abuse the name of God freely. Especially in Polygamy and taking other lives without guilt in the name of acting in God's Will. It was way too deep, no one in the world has any rights or decision over another's life. There's isn't any respect of life and human relations at all, which I don't suppose this God's way at all.

Had PM for the next reader, awaiting.

3.25pm
Off to Australia!

Journal Entry 26 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Friday, August 08, 2008

Thanks Joy, received yesterday and although feeling a little daunted by comments from other readers about it being a disturbing etc book, I will read it and then make it available to others in Australia via the Aussie Virtual Bookbag.

Journal Entry 27 by BellaMack at St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, November 29, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (11/27/2008 UTC) at St Helens, Tasmania Australia

Need to clear space sadly so handing a couple of boxes of books to Sarahbear

Journal Entry 28 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, November 30, 2008

Received as part of a massive collection from bellamack.

Journal Entry 29 by sarahbear at St Helens Medical Centre in St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/16/2009 UTC) at St Helens Medical Centre in St Helens, Tasmania Australia

Will be left in the waiting room.