corner corner Not Without My Daughter

Not Without My Daughter
by Betty Mahmoody (with William Hoffer) | Nonfiction
Registered by harmaja of Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, June 27, 2004

status (set by sikke): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by harmaja from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, June 27, 2004

This is a 10 cent buy from a flea market. I haven't read it, and I probably won't try.

Edit: I have been browsing through other people's reviews of this book, and it seems that it is rather well liked. However, I have prejudices against it: I fear it portrays all Iranians as monsters and is full of what one reviever calls "ethnocentric whining".

It seems a bit silly that I should believe the few negative reviews rather than the many positive ones, but, well, life is too short and I'm not able to rid myself of my prejudices just like that. Therefore I've decided to liberate this book in the hope that it finds a more objective reader.

Journal Entry 2 by harmaja at Helsingin yliopisto / Helsinki University in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, July 04, 2004

Release planned for Monday, July 05, 2004 at Helsingin Yliopiston Oppimiskeskus Alexandria in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland.

This book will be released in Learning Centre Alexandria on Monday, July 5th at around 13:35. I will leave the book in the lobby shared by Alexandria and the Student Library, most likely on the bench or the window sill left from the Fabianinkatu entrance.

I've made the release notes in English since the book released is written in English, and I want the release notes to be accessible for non-Finnish speakers as well. If you have found this book, you're very welcome to write the journal entry in Finnish or Swedish as well.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, January 09, 2005

My friend found this book in Learning Centre Alexandria and gave it to me January 8, 2005. She has not read the dook and neither have I. I will be releasing the book January 9, 2005 in train station at Pasila, Helsinki. Let´s hope someone is willing to read this book :)

CAUGHT IN HELSINKI FINLAND

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, February 16, 2005

didnt read it though..but the weirdo that stopped me on my way to the toilet passedthis book, so Im doing likewise and just giving it to my friend. short finnish dictionary: in case someone is harrasing you, trying to seduce you or offering you a dayjob; mitae vittuu?! (read: me.the ve.ttoo!?) thanks a lot!

CAUGHT IN HELSINKI FINLAND

Journal Entry 5 by sikke from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I found this book in Rytmi-bar in Helsinki, Finland on the 19th of February 2005. Out of curiosity I took it with as I was leaving for The Netherlands the following day.

So it seems like no one is actually reading this book. Neither will I. The first edition of this book was published in 1988 I remember it being a bit of an hit at that time, there was even a movie made starring Sally Fields. Few know that there is also a documentary by Alexis Kouros about the husband, Mr. Mahmoody. I think you should always hear the other side of the story too.

So I'm in the Netherlands, in The Hague to be more specific. I'll set the book free as soon as I'll find it in my luggage and also a place for it. I'll keep you posted.