corner corner An Example of Tactile Picture Books (Made by sewing): Atte The Elf

An Example of Tactile Picture Books (Made by sewing): Atte The Elf
by Anneli Salo | Children's Books
Registered by wingAnneliswing of Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

status (set by Annelis): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

ATTE THE ELF (Atte Tonttu in Finnish)

This books is for a little older children who like to count things. I and a colleague of mine made two copies of this book for Celia Library. We have four more copies nearly ready. Maybe I'll write the text in English later. It depends on what we'll do with those copies. Now the text is only in Finnish, so I'll write only a short resumé here. We made this book because my colleague found some extra Xmas decorations while tidying her home in the summer.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Atte is an elf who goes to the school for elves. He wants to become Santa's little helper.
* * *

The child can take the elf in his hands as it is fastened with a ribbon.
Atte has jingle bell on top of his hat.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

At school Atte has learned to take care of Christmas flowers. Here are two of his plants. Atte can also cut snowflake decorations of paper. He has hanged three of them in the window.
* * *

Finnish children cut lots of snowflakes for Christmas decoration. These snowflakes here are of plastic. Snowflakes of paper wouldn't last long in a book like this.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

At school Atte learns to make wreaths to be hanged outside the door. This time he used four red berries and five small decorative mushrooms.

* * *
These mushrooms (bought in a hobby shop) did not last long, they broke to little pieces. I had to sew new ones my self. They were not as beautiful as these but durable.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Atte is a very diligent pupil at the school for elves. Now he has learned to make decorative angels. He made six angels. They are not exactly similar. There is no need for that. Well, perhaps two are...

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The baking of gingerbread cookies marks the beginning of Christmas preparations for all Finnish children. (In some families the procedure must be repeated a few times because the cookies tend to disappear mysteriously.)
Atte learned also to bake these Christmas cookies. He baked cookies of seven different shapes.
* * *

Two of these cookies has a tiny bag of cinnamon and some other flavour underneath, so the cookies have the real aroma.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Now it is the time for Atte to decorate the Christmas tree.
Atte puts eight candles and hangs nine glass balls on the brances of the christmas tree. There are ten parcels under the tree.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

There is one more opportunity for the child to practise counting from 1 to 10 on the last page of the book.