corner corner The Persian Boy

by Mary Renault | Literature & Fiction
Registered by okyrhoe of Athens, Attica Greece on Friday, June 18, 2004

status (set by Amaranta20): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by okyrhoe from Athens, Attica Greece on Friday, June 18, 2004

Paperback copy, Penguin UK isbn 014003840X.

Part 2 of the Alexander Trilogy.

I first read this novel when I was 12. It has been a favorite of mine, time and time again.

From a historical perspective, I've been thinking of comparing/contrasting The Persian Boy with The Rock of Tanios, by Amin Maalouf.

Journal Entry 2 by okyrhoe from Athens, Attica Greece on Thursday, November 25, 2004

BOOK RAY for The Persian Boy

Now that the first of the Alexander the Great films is coming to the movie theaters, I remembered I have Mary Renault's The Persian Boy on my bookshelf. Maybe it's time this book started traveling.

If you would like to be added to this Book Ray, please send me a PM.

This is the first BookRay I'm organizing. Please let me know the following:

a) Your location
b) Where you are willing to ship (International, or N. America, Asia, Europe, etc. only)

and I'll post your name here:

1) Luz de Luna *
7) QueenSissi **
8) Sternschnuppe28 *
9) min3erva *
10) Amaranta20 * <-- BOOK IS HERE
11) dragongrrrr* (signed up as dragong-reads)
12) (it can be you!)

Thanks.

* ships anywhere
** ships to Europe

Journal Entry 3 by okyrhoe from Athens, Attica Greece on Thursday, December 02, 2004

The Persian Boy ray has started.

I just shipped the book to Luz-de-Luna.

Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 4 by Luz-de-Luna from Veria, Imathia Greece on Monday, December 06, 2004

Thanks, [okyrhoe]! It seems quite interesting. I'll try to read it as fast as possible :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Luz-de-Luna at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 25, 2004

Released on Friday, December 24, 2004 at about 11:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring Controlled Releases.

I really liked this book! It's fabulous... Mailing it to [PSCAF] in Portugal! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by PCSAF from Gondomar, Porto Portugal on Sunday, January 02, 2005

Got it with me :-)

Journal Entry 7 by PCSAF from Gondomar, Porto Portugal on Friday, February 04, 2005

Great book. Really enjoyed it :-)
It will be travelling to Finland tomorrow. Thanks okyrhoe for sharing :-)

Journal Entry 8 by wingCandyDarlingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The book arrived while I was in Japan, sorry for the delay in journaling it. Thanks for organizing this bookring, okyrhoe! I'm really looking forward to reading this book, as I loved the movie Alexander!

Journal Entry 9 by wingCandyDarlingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, July 22, 2005

I'm sorry for keeping this book for so long! Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to read it, and finally I decided I need to pass it on. I sent the book to RayneQueen yesterday, as QueenSissi wanted to be skipped.

Journal Entry 10 by RayneQueen from Ternopil, Ternopil' Ukraine on Saturday, August 06, 2005

I've received the book and will read it as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 11 by RayneQueen from Ternopil, Ternopil' Ukraine on Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I liked the book, but I can't say I really enjoyed it, probably because it wasn't exactly a happy story. I am very glad to have read it, however, since I knew almost nothing about Alexander before.

Thanks for sharing, okyrhoe. I'll pass it on within the next few days.

Journal Entry 12 by sqdancer on Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Looks very interesting; can't wait to get to it.

Journal Entry 13 by sqdancer on Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My apologies for the late journal entry. The book was mailed on Thursday, October 6th.

Thank you very much for sharing. It was an interesting story.

Journal Entry 14 by Chryso from Detroit, Michigan USA on Friday, October 14, 2005

Received today -- thanks, sqdancer! Will read, journal, and pass on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 15 by Chryso from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A fascinating story. I admit that I plodded through the beginning, but my interest grew as the story went on; by the latter half of the book, I couldn't put it down. I appreciate the author's note at the end, in which she discusses various facts and historical sources. This book has sparked in me a desire to read more about Alexander. Thank you for sharing, okyrhoe--euxaristw!

Shipped today to QueenSissi in Portugal. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by QueenSissi from Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Thursday, November 17, 2005

It has arrived. thanks everyone...

Journal Entry 17 by QueenSissi from Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Thursday, February 09, 2006

It was a beautiful story and i would never expected it to end like that...

Sent it forward yesterday...

Journal Entry 18 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Monday, February 13, 2006

Just received today. It will be my second book by Mary Renault after "The king must die". I also saw Oliver Stone´s "Alexander", so I am pretty curious.

Journal Entry 19 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Thursday, February 23, 2006

If I had not watched "Alexander the Great", I would have had some problems to get into the book, but both - the movie and book - are a nice complement to each other. The book concentrates on Bogoas (the film more on Hephaistos), important persons around Alexander. I quite enjoyed this emotional historical novel. Thanks for this bookray.

"The Persian Boy" continues to travel to min3rva today.

Journal Entry 20 by min3rva from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala Finland on Saturday, April 01, 2006

Finally got my hands on the book a few weeks ago (silly me for giving my home address and not visiting my parents for a long time -> a lonely little book sitting inside its envelope, not getting read) and finished reading it a couple nights ago. What an amazing book! Thank you all so much for taking me in the book ray. :) It was quite an experience, reading it. Now I'll just have to find the rest of the trilogy... And I agree, seeing the Oliver Stone film helped, especially with all the names and places.

edited (april 20) to say that i sent the book forward about a week or so ago :)

Journal Entry 21 by Amaranta20 from Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sending this to the next person