corner corner The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood

by Vicki Iovine | Parenting & Families
Registered by Ebumu of Ithaca, New York USA on Thursday, June 17, 2004

status (set by gussy916): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Ebumu from Ithaca, New York USA on Thursday, June 17, 2004

Perhaps the toughest thing about new motherhood is that you quickly become convinced that you must be crazy--it can't really be this hard to figure out and manage a baby. Many of us take leave from work and become somewhat isolated at home with a tiny creature whose frequent and urgent needs cannot be denied. Given the hormones, the sleep deprivation, and the saggy body, it's not surprising that things can feel a bit out of control. The Girlfriend's Guide has some useful data, most of it found more succinctly in more serious parenting manuals. The very best thing about this book is its wryly sympathetic tone. It's somehow terribly reassuring to read it.

Journal Entry 2 by Ebumu from Ithaca, New York USA on Friday, June 18, 2004

Mailed to arugh48187 today as a RABCK.
arugh48187 thoughtfully offered me her copy of Bird by Bird in exchange for Tears of the Giraffe. I thought she might find this Guide helpful; I wish her a good birth.

Journal Entry 3 by arugh48187 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 29, 2004

What a lovely surprise! Ebumu tucked this in with the book she sent me in trade. I have the prequel to this one (The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy) and am loving its tongue-in-cheek reality check type attitude. I am sure I will appreciate this one too. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness!

Journal Entry 4 by arugh48187 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, October 17, 2004

Well, I managed to finish this one a few days after I officially became a mommy. My son arrived on 4 October and I finally began my first year of motherhood. This book was just as entertaining as the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I think it would have been more entertaining if I read it after the fact like I did the Pregnancy one. Certain things are funnier in retrospect. I did make it through the birthing part before I delivered and this book scared the hell out of me. It wasn't nearly as bad as this book makes it out to be...then again, maybe I'm just lucky.

I will be passing this one to another new mother. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 5 by arugh48187 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Released 9 yrs ago (10/20/2004 UTC) at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases

Mailing off to Guinneth who probably has oodles of time to read (HAHAHAHA!!) just like me. Hope you and your baby are doing well. My son and I are surviving...taking one feeding at a time. I hope you are loving being a new mommy just as much as I am. This book is again one of those that can be read in very small increments. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 03, 2004

This one was another lovely and thoughtful surprise from my fellow new mother, arugh48187. (And guess what? I already had to edit this journal entry, as I somehow managed to hit "save my changes" when I thought I was backspacing. Must be the fact that I'm using an unfamiliar laptop. Yeah, right. Motherhood fries your brain, people!!)

I actually managed to read this before I journalled it. Like Amber, I also have the previous volume and really enjoyed it. I liked this one even more, probably because I was more in need of its reassuring tone now. Giving birth and the month or so afterwards has been the most challenging, disorienting, exhausting, emotional, and yes *wonderful* time of my life. I needed this book right now, so thanks so much for sending it to me.

I hope to pass it on as well.

Journal Entry 7 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, April 22, 2006

This is going out to gussy916, who won it from my 3rd BC anniversary RABCK draw. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 8 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 24, 2006

Mailed today - I hope your sister-in-law enjoys this as much as I did, gussy! Best wishes to her.

Journal Entry 9 by gussy916 from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, June 25, 2006

I just got home today from my honeymoon and found this waiting on the piano. Thank you for sending it along Guinneth! I'm sending it along to my sister in law who is due anytime this august!

Journal Entry 10 by gussy916 at Postal Release To Fellow Bookcrosser in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 29, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (6/29/2006 UTC) at Postal Release To Fellow Bookcrosser in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

As promised, this goes out to Charmaine in Singapore, hope she has fun reading it!