corner corner The Princess Diaries

The Princess Diaries
by Meg Cabot | Teens
Registered by needmorezoloft of Detroit, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2004

status (set by soulcomfort): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by needmorezoloft from Detroit, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by needmorezoloft from Detroit, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Got at Half Price Books in Mesquite. Plan to read soon.

Journal Entry 3 by needmorezoloft from Detroit, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2004

From the Publisher
She's just a New York City girl living with her artist mom...
News Flash: Dad is prince of Genovia. (So that's why a limo meets her at the airport!)

Downer: Dad can't have any more kids. (So no heir to the throne.)

Shock of the Century: Like it or not, Mia Thermopolis is prime princess material.

Mia must take princess lessons from her dreaded grandmére, the dowager princess of Genovia, who thinks Mia has a thing or two to learn before she steps up to the throne.

Well, her father can lecture her until he's royal-blue in the face about her princessly duty—no way is she moving to Genovia and leaving Manhattan behind. But what's a girl to do when her name is Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?

2001 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Readers (ALA), Books for the Teen Age 2001 (NYPL) and 2001 Best Books for Young Adults (ALA)

About the Author

Meg Cabot is the author of the best-selling, critically acclaimed, immensely popular Princess Diaries novels, as well as All-American Girl, Haunted, and two Regency novels, Nicola and the Viscount and Victoria and the Rogue. Meg was born in Bloomington, Indiana, and her childhood was spent in pursuit of air conditioning, of which there was little at the time in southern Indiana. A primary source proved to be the Monroe County Public Library, where Meg whiled away many hours, reading the complete works of Jane Austen, Judy Blume, and Barbara Cartland.

Armed with a fine arts degree from Indiana University, Meg moved to New York City, intent upon pursuing a career in freelance illustration. Illustrating, however, soon got in the way of Meg's truelove, writing, and so she abandoned it and got a job as the assistant manager of an undergraduate dormitory at New York University, writing on the weekends, and whenever her boss wasn't looking.

Meg lives in New York City with her husband, Benjamin, a poet, financial market writer and fellow Hoosier, and their one-eyed cat, Henrietta.

Synopsis
"So, what I want to know is, if my dad's an actual prince, how come I have to learn algebra?" Mia ponders this, and much more, when she finds out that her father is prince of Genovia. Living with her cool artist mom in New York City, Mia can't imagine leaving to become princess in Genovia. But because her father can't have any more kids, she is the heir to the throne. Accepting her title means getting lessons on being a perfect princess and leaving Manhattan - will Mia eventually give in to her father and become Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?

Journal Entry 4 by needmorezoloft from Detroit, Texas USA on Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Saving for MsPooh

Journal Entry 5 by needmorezoloft at Sending this book on for someone else to love in Land of a 1,000 books, needmorezoloft's controlled releases -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 30, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (6/30/2005 UTC) at Sending this book on for someone else to love in Land of a 1,000 books, needmorezoloft's controlled releases -- Controlled Releases

Sending on. Hope you enjoy MsPooh! :)

Journal Entry 6 by MsPooh from El Cajon, California USA on Friday, July 01, 2005

Thanks a bunch. Your great.

Journal Entry 7 by MsPooh from El Cajon, California USA on Friday, September 09, 2005

I loved this and can't wait to get to the others. I need to get my hands on 4 & 5, as I have 2, 3 & 6.

I felt bad for Mia, and was not too impressed with Lilly. She really upset me.

Thanks, Lei, for sending this to me. Great read.

Journal Entry 8 by loislane05 from Fargo, North Dakota USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanks for sending this to me! I promise to get to it soon. TBR.

Journal Entry 9 by loislane05 from Fargo, North Dakota USA on Sunday, December 31, 2006

This book was very entertaining. It made me laught outloud and remember what it was like to be 14 again - although I never had to worry about the princess part of things. I saw the first movie back when it was in theaters and was once again suprised in how different it was from the book. (I should not be suprised when it comes to books vs. movies, but I always am.) Of course, they made Julie Andrews appear much nicer in the film - but I liked grandmere's character in the book as well. Cabot does a good job in relating to teenagers and I thought the funniest parts were when she was having Mia interact with Lily and Lilly's brother. I picked up the second installment at the library and passed this book on to my mom to read next ;0)

Journal Entry 10 by soulcomfort from Fargo, North Dakota USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Got the book from loislane05. It is a cute book about a teenage girl who finds out she is a princess of this small country--Genovia. Written like a diary--complete with homework notes--you meet her as a kind of dorky outsider at school and then journey along with her on her reluctant transformation. I'm giving it a higher rating than I would normally--just because it should be judged by what it is, more teen reading fare. And as that, it is written pretty realistically, I think. Even though it has been a long time since I was a teenager--hehe! There was a movie made--and now I want to see the movie, of course. :) Going to give the book to my sweet cleaning girl, who is lending me the movie--but hasn't read the book.