corner corner Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination
by Helen Fielding | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Helly77 of Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 05, 2004

status (set by editorgrrl): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Helly77 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 05, 2004

got this after reading bridget jones, still havent got round to reading it yet!

Journal Entry 2 by Helly77 at Book Relay in to another bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Released 9 yrs ago (10/19/2004 UTC) at Book Relay in to another bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases

on its way!

Journal Entry 3 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Boy, was I happy to see this book, and also happy to see it was paperback (only in hardcover in the US right now). Thanks so much Helly77! I do hope you got a chance to read it before you sent it off to me.

Journal Entry 4 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, December 23, 2004

Karma comes full circle!!
Fulfilling a wish, via the "North American Reverse Wish List 3" relay.

Journal Entry 5 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, December 23, 2004

I don't know what to say about this book. This is the second non-Bridget Jones book I've read by Helen Fielding that I didn't care for. It was just too...out there for my taste. I honestly thought the book would be more light-humored and fun than it was. If I want a spy novel, I'll purchase a spy novel. Personally, I think the story was a waste of a really good character.

Journal Entry 6 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Friday, December 24, 2004

Mailing to editorgrrl on 1/5. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by editorgrrl from New Haven, Connecticut USA on Saturday, January 15, 2005

Received in the mail from ellymae58 in San Diego, California, USA, through the North American Reverse Wish List 3 Bookrelay.

From Publishers Weekly
Considering the number of writers who've tried, and generally failed, to do plummy Bridget Jones one better, it only makes sense that Fielding should take a vacation from the genre she spawned and seek (sort of) greener pastures. Her new inspiration? Think Ian Fleming. Fielding's ridiculous, delicious, wildly improbable plot goes something like this: freelance journalist Olivia Joules ("as in the unit of kinetic energy"), formerly Rachel Pixley (her whole family got run over when she was 14), gets bumped from the Sunday Times's international coverage down to the style pages thanks to the titular imagination (e.g., a story about a "cloud of giant, fanged locusts pancaking down on Ethiopia"). In between ducking twittering PR reps and airheaded blondes at a Miami face cream launch party, she uncovers what looks like an al-Qaeda plot, headed by a dreamy Osama bin Laden look-alike, who is either (1) a terrorist, (2) an international playboy, (3) a serial killer or (4) all of the above. Languid, mysterious Pierre Feramo returns Olivia's interest, and thus begins an around-the-world adventure that has plucky Olivia eventually recruited by MI6. In addition to the fun spy gear (e.g., Chloé shades fitted with a nerve-agent dagger) there are kidnappings, bomb plots and scuba-diving disasters. Olivia is slim, confident and accomplished; ostensibly, she's "painstakingly erased all womanly urges to question her shape, looks, role in life," etc. But she still has her bumbling Jonesian moments, and though she may not need a man, she'll get one in the end. What's wrong with the book: two-dimensional characters, dangling plot threads, the questionable taste of al-Qaeda bombings in an escapist, comic spy novel. What's right: girl-power punch, page-turning brio and a new heroine to root for.

Journal Entry 8 by editorgrrl from New Haven, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

I've just started reading this, and image my surprise when I got to chapter eight and there was a full-page lineart illo of the action. I can't wait to see if there are more! So far, this book is lots more fun than Cause Celeb

Journal Entry 9 by editorgrrl from New Haven, Connecticut USA on Monday, April 04, 2005

A fun book. Not as good as Bridget Jones's Diary -- but then again, what is? (And yes, this book has several illustrations.)

Journal Entry 10 by editorgrrl at editorgrrl's new box in LaughAtlantis's Chick Lit Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (5/25/2005 UTC) at editorgrrl's new box in LaughAtlantis's Chick Lit Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

One of the books to restart LaughAtlantis's Chick Lit Bookbox, which has stalled.