corner corner The Wise Woman

The Wise Woman
by Philippa Gregory | Horror
Registered by wingSherlockfanwing of Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, May 31, 2004

status (set by awhina): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, May 31, 2004

Passion and betrayal fuse in the powerful novel of Tudor England.

Alys joins the nunnery to escape poverty but finds herself thrown back into the outside world when Henry VIII's wreckers destroy her sanctuary. With nothing but her looks, her magic and her own instinctive cunning, Alys has to tread a perilous path between the faith of her childhood and her own female power.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, September 28, 2006

Can't believe that I've had this book sitting on my shelves for more than two years and only just now come to read it. That is simply because Sally906 from Darwin spotted in on my shelf and I'll be passing it on to her when we meet next week during her whistle-stop tour through NZ.

I really enjoyed this book although someof the "magic" tested my belief a little. Alys is a very strong determined young woman - well almost still a girl when the story starts.

Philippa Gregory has a sound knowledge of Tudor England and writes with skill and verve. Its a story that keeps one reading to see what will young ALys think of next in order to gain her objectives. Good story.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, October 01, 2006

RELEASE NOTE

I'm releasing this book to Sally906 from Darwin who is currently touring NZ with her spouse. She saw the book on my bookshelf and expressed a wish to read it. We are meeting for dinner this evening with, hopefully, 3 other BX-ers from Wellington.

Journal Entry 4 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, October 08, 2006

Picked up at a meet-up at the Black Harp in Wellington - got to meet sherlockfan and her lovely husband - as well as some of the other Wellington Bookcrosser's - had a great time :)

Journal Entry 5 by sally906 at Browser's Cafe, Riccarton Road in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, October 20, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (10/21/2006 UTC) at Browser's Cafe, Riccarton Road in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Leaving this at the Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, October 21, 2006

Picked up at today's meetup. Great to meet you, Sally!

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 7 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, March 29, 2007

Well, it took me a long time to slog through this book, but I finally managed to finish it.

I really thought I was going to enjoy it when I first picked it up, but unfortunately I was disappointed - I wasn't at all captured by the story, the characters were all entirely unsympathetic (especially Alys, the central character) so the only sense of suspense was in hoping they'd quickly get their comeuppance (but I was disappointed there too), and the period detail I found unconvincing and for the most poorly researched (among my favourite examples of errors the author made was her wonderful description of Alys drawing a pentacle... by drawing two triangles... Hmmm. Triangle: figure with 3 points. Pentacle: star with 5 points. Alys must have had some powerful magic to be able to make 2 times 3 equal 5!!!)

Oh well, it's a good thing we all have different tastes in reading, or there'd be a lot of publishers and authors going out of business. Hopefully whoever receives this book next will appreciate it more than I did.

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 8 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Picked up by someone at tonight's meetup.

Journal Entry 9 by awhina from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Not as good as other Philippa Gregory books that I've read. It rather fell apart for me when a woman turned into a hare. As for the return of the mother superior and the ending, well ! A weak second half to a book that showed much promise is all I can say. I'll pass this to chchdangermouse and see if she concurs.