corner corner Skinwalker

by Nunzio Defilippis | Graphic Novels
Registered by midwinter of Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2004

status (set by nimrodiel): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2004

**Replacement copy for my missing bookring - http://bookcrossing.com/journal/942428**

A groundbreaking graphic novel from an independent press. It's Navajo culture meets straight-laced FBI detective work - mysticism against the modern world (Thunderheart, anyone?), but the characters are engaging, the plot is rich with detail and intrigue, and I couldn't put it down.
Navajo folklore speaks of people known as skinwalkers - witches able to wear the skin of an animal and become that animal, but in this story, the legend takes a decidedly human twist. A gruesome murder leads two detectives on an interstate race against time, bluring the lines between legend and reality.
There is some mild gore, and a bit of swearing, but if you can get through an episode of CSI or the X Files, you'll have no trouble with this book.
It's like Tony Hillerman with pictures :)

Complete bookring list:
geniedances, Texas, USA
curtis721, California, USA
zombiebooker, Las Vegas, USA (No response-Skipped)
CurtAngel, Oklahoma, USA--> stalled copy #1
bookczuk, South Carolina, USA
Lpree, Maryland, USA (int'l)
spacedog, Massachusetts, USA
hbrogan, New York, USA
nicole4, Chicago, IL
vicki9170, Florida, USA (can ship int'l)
surmisez, Massachusetts, USA
Amaranta20, Washington, USA (can ship int'l)
ecoboy, Canada (can ship int'l)
suzen, France (int'l)
herebedragons, California, USA
caligula03, California, USA (can ship int'l)

Off to bookczuk to get the ring going again...

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 01, 2004

It arrived! Thank you very much. The cover blurb reminds me of a graphic novel version of a Ton Hillerman type book. Looking forward to reading it AND passing it along! No black hole here!

The picture is of Salt Valley, Arches National Monument / Park.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Here is the link to the first half of this ring, which got stalled just before getting to me. Midwinter found another copy to keep it going....

This was my first venture into graphic novels (if you don't count Megatokoyo which is sooooo different!)

The intro and added info were fascinating. I didn't realize graphic novels were such a collaborative effort. It took me a little while to get into the rhythm of things, but once I did, it flew. I am a huge Hillerman fan, and he has been my source of info about skinwalkers to date. The characters were developed in a different way than I am used to from traditional novels, but Adakai was great.

Will pass this on to Lpree in tomorrow's mail. Thank you for sharing this with me.

I've put the seal of the Navajo Nation up in this entry. The symbolism is fascinating. Google "navajo seal" for more info.

Journal Entry 4 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Sunday, June 06, 2004

This arrived safely in yesterday's mail. I've got one other bookring ahead of it, but am hoping I can get started on it later this week. I'm looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 5 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, June 25, 2004

got this a couple of days ago as part of a bookring. will read next week. thanks!

i was especially interested in this GN b/c the authors worked on the new new mutants (x-men) series. this book was pretty straightforward, but a decent read. the characters and plot are interesting, although it felt to me like this was an intro to the two main characters and that there should be more. the ending sort of fizzled out. the art is decent, although the lettering is a bit small. the extras are mostly worthwhile. all in all i enjoyed it. i'll be able to pass this on on tuesday once i get the address.

thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by hbrogan from North White Plains, New York USA on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I've had this book for so long and never journaled it. I am so sorry!

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of The X-Files, which I loved. It's not the typical kind of GN I would pick up, so I was surprised at how much I liked it. I wish it was an ongoing series!

By the way, like spacedog said, the authors are currently working on an X-Men book (which was originally New Mutants, then New Mutants: Academy X, and is now New X-Men, which shouldn't be confused with the earlier New X-Men titled...stupid Marvel...). I highly recommend checking out that book if you are at all interested in the X-Men.

I'll be passing this along now, as I've had it waaaay too long.

Journal Entry 7 by nicole4 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, October 05, 2004

I forgot to journal this when I got it! This book was very cool. I had no idea it would be the format it was, and it was my first time reading a book like this. The story was great and very creative. Fun!

Mailed to vicki9170 on 10/5/04

Journal Entry 8 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, October 11, 2004

received today

Journal Entry 9 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, March 05, 2005

Starting this tonight, PM'd surmisez for addy. Will probably finish within the next hour or so :)

Journal Entry 10 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Monday, March 07, 2005

This has been THE best book I've read all year. Very suspenseful story...glad it was in black and white LOL a little gruesome! Thank you SO much for sharing :) Mailed out today to surmisez.

Journal Entry 11 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Received in mail from vicki9170 as part of a BookRing.

I have a couple of Rings/Rays ahead of this one, so I'll get to this within the next two weeks or less.

Thank you for including me in your BookRing, midwinter!

Journal Entry 12 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 27, 2005

First off, I had no idea this was a comic book. To say that I was surprised when I received it would be a gross understatement. In all honesty, I really did not want to read this comic book. I haven't read a comic book since I was a child, and even then I wasn't too crazy about them.

But, since it was a BookRing that I signed up for, I made myself read it. All I can say is wow! I am pleasantly surprised to say that I really enjoyed it. It's a very quick read, and it was interesting to have pictures rather than imagining what I was reading.

My finance was so surprised to see me reading a comic book that he ended up reading it after me. Unlike me, he enjoyed comic books as a child and thought this one was pretty good.

Thanks again, midwinter, for including me in your Ring. ;-)

I've PM'd Amaranta20 for her address.

Journal Entry 13 by surmisez at controlled release to fellow BookCrosser in Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (3/30/2005 UTC) at controlled release to fellow BookCrosser in Seattle, Washington USA

Mailing to Amaranta20 as part of a BookRing.

Journal Entry 14 by Amaranta20 from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, May 02, 2005

Sorry! I'm a bad thing. Can't believe I haven't journaled this already.

I really enjoyed this book. The story was interesting and the drawings were well-made although I could have done without seeing quite so many skinned bodies. Yech. (Which is not a critique of the work itself. I understand why they were there and necessary).

I will send this off shortly to the next on the list.

Thanks for your patience with me. :)

Journal Entry 15 by ecoboy from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, June 21, 2005

SKINWALKER arrived a couple of weeks ago. I started reading it, but found that my old eyes were being challenged by the tiny print and set it aside. I will sit down with my better reading glasses and a magnifying glass and have another go. I am a Hillerman fan so the setting is appealing. I will make another entry before I send it along... within the week.

Journal Entry 16 by ecoboy from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, June 23, 2005

June 23 / 05
More X-Files than Hillerman, but the story worked well. The graphic format was interesting; I did find the tonal range in the illustrations too be a bit flat. I enjoyed the "extras" -- the backgrounders on Navajo culture and the "how-to" outlining the steps in creating the story.

Sent to herebedragons in California on June 27, 2005.

Journal Entry 17 by herebedragons from Cotati, California USA on Friday, July 08, 2005

This arrived in today's mail - looks like a fairly quick read, and it's going (close) to the top of Mount TBR. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 18 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Skinwalker's finally back home. Will probably release on bookrelay or paperbackswap.com soon :)

Journal Entry 19 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Friday, February 03, 2006

Yay! Book is here. :)

Journal Entry 20 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Fabulous read and well worth the wait to read it. It's an interesting mixture of the supernatural and crime drama. Every so often the story pauses for a cultural lesson and those are equally fascinating.

Offering back on the book relay:

Reserved for nimrodiel.

Journal Entry 21 by caligula03 at on Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (3/2/2006 UTC) at

Mailing to nimrodiel to complete a relay offer.

Journal Entry 22 by wingnimrodielwing from Evanston, Illinois USA on Thursday, March 09, 2006

This made it here :)

Looking forwards to reading it.

Journal Entry 23 by wingnimrodielwing from Evanston, Illinois USA on Monday, March 20, 2006

This was a fantastic story, and a nice alternative to the skinwalker stories I have heard about prior to this little graphic novel.

Journal Entry 24 by wingnimrodielwing from Evanston, Illinois USA on Friday, November 30, 2007

To be sent to bookmoocher Nathan888