corner corner Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague

Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague
by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tantan of Townsville, Queensland Australia on 5/22/2004

status (set by Neesy): available

Journal Entry 1 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Saturday, May 22, 2004

From the back cover:
When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated mountain village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the plague year, 1666, as her fellow villagers make an extraordinary choice: convinced by a visionary young minister, they elect to quarantine themselves within the village boundaries to arrest the spread of the disease. But as death reaches into every household, faith frays. When the villagers turn from prayers to murderous witch-hunting, Anna must confront the deaths of family members, the disintegration of her community, and the lure of illicit love. As she struggles to survive, a year of plague becomes instead an annus mirabilis, a "year of wonders".

***

I really enjoyed this one. A very moving story.

Journal Entry 2 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Posted today as an RABCK to Lisagt.

Journal Entry 3 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, April 07, 2005

Thanx to tantan for checking the wishlist and sending this book to me! I'm looking forward to reading this ASAP. I'd only just added this book to my wishlist, prompted by an article about Geraldine Brooks in the weekend paper, and now here I have it in my hand ready to read...

Journal Entry 4 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I read this book while on holidays which meant I got to read it almost 'straight through' (always a bonus!) I really enjoyed it, even more than I anticipated. I guess because she is a journalist Geraldine Brooks has been able to write this story as if it were a true account. I know she drew heavily on research about the real village of Eyam for inspiration but the characters she
created walked right off the page!
I saw her interviewed last night on Denton and she was entertaining and knowledgeable, yet so gracious! I'm definately going to look out for her other books, both fiction and non-fiction...

Journal Entry 5 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Lent to djt as I know she will enjoy this book!

Journal Entry 6 by djt from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, May 20, 2005

A controlled release from Lisagt. How right she was as I have started to read and am hooked from the first couple of pages. Will complete an entry when finished.

Journal Entry 7 by djt from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A confronting story,beautifully written yet told simply to the reader.I became totally involved and
could not put it down. Now i am keen to read
more from Geraldine Brooks.

I am going to send it to a friend as a controlled
release.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Got it in the mail today and am reading it right away. Already it shows a lot of promise.

CAUGHT IN GOSFORD NSW AUSTRALIA

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The book was truly an experience! I have always loved historic novels, especially those whose main characters are not persons named in history books and so give a feel for the time and place, eg Edith Pargeter, Norah Lofts, etc. This book surpasses them all. I hope Geraldine Brooks will find other places and times to portray with her insight into people, especially women. Thank you for giving me the chance to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2005

Just to let you all know that this great book is now safely back with me. I have one more friend who may like to read it amd then I will sent it on...

Journal Entry 11 by Lisagt from Holsworthy, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 26, 2005

This is such a great book I have put it on my birthday list. So I am going to send this copy on again as a RABCK to a fellow Aussie BCer. Hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else has!

Journal Entry 12 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Thank you so much for this Lisa, it was on my wishlist! I hope you enjoyed the movie! I can't wait to read this with all the times it is listed in my recommended reading journal! Thanks also for the lovely Thea Astley bookmark which is uncanny as I helped organise the literary trail release here in Brisbane at the convention and Thea Astley was one of the authors, I left two of her books on her plaque, 1 of which has been caught and journalled. So thanks very much for the RABCk, a wonderful surprise!

Journal Entry 13 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Bookcrossing has certainly filled my reading shelf, and not only in quantity but mostly in quality. This book has to be one of the best I have ever read.
I read it in 2 nights (a big thing having 4 kids!) and I really enjoyed it. I would never have picked this up to read before so I'm glad everyone recommended it to me. There are some Bcers from brisbane meetup group who would like to read this so thats where it is headed next! Thanks again Lisagt!

Journal Entry 14 by wombles at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 19, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (8/20/2005 UTC) at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia

at meetup

Journal Entry 15 by Neesy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 21, 2005

Thank you Wombles! Looking forward to reading this book!

Journal Entry 16 by Neesy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, December 07, 2007

I really enjoyed this book. The ending was so different to what I was expecting and I was surprised to find out it was based on non-fiction. I feel really bad for holding onto this lovely book for so long but tomorrow it will be circulated around the Brisbane BC group :)

Neesy