corner corner Kira-Kira

status (set by yokaye): available

Journal Entry 1 by jendudley from Edinburg, Texas USA on Friday, May 07, 2004

haven't read

Journal Entry 2 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, April 18, 2005

This arrived today from jendudley. Thanks so much! I hope you had a fabulous time at the convention this past weekend. Hopefully I'll see you next year in Toronto!

Journal Entry 3 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 16, 2005

Nice lyrical quick read. It reminded me a lot of my relationship with my sister. As I was reading the book, I felt myself melt back into my 11 year old self. I know this would have been a favorite had I read it at that time. Even now I thought it was wonderful.

I've passed this on to my mom who will be taking it back to the US to mail to narfinmagic.

Journal Entry 4 by narfinmagic from Freehold, New Jersey USA on Friday, June 24, 2005

Thanks Ri for the reverse wish list relay! Looks interesting. Plan to read it soon

Journal Entry 5 by narfinmagic from Freehold, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

When I received this book in June 2005, I wrote that I planned to read it soon. Well, sorry to say that it got lost at the bottom of Mount TBR for quite some time. I apologize that it sat that long.

I finally did read this book and must say that I found it to be a beautiful tribute to the relationship between sisters. Despite the sad nature of the story, the author captures the bond shared between sisters in a unique way. Anyone who has a sister will appreciate this story. I am very glad I had the opportunity to read this book. I plan to pass it along to another reader very soon.

Journal Entry 6 by narfinmagic at N/A in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 08, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (1/8/2007 UTC) at N/A in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

RABCK to yourotherleft

Journal Entry 7 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

This came in the mail today. Looks great! Thanks for making a wish come true, narfinmagic! =)

Journal Entry 8 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, June 04, 2007

This was a sweet story about sisters and about a Japanese American family trying to live the "American dream." From what I see from the other journal entries I probably would have appreciated it more if I had a sister... but it was still an excellent coming of age story and a tribute to sisterhood.

This is on its way to morsecode who grabbed it out of the Teen VBB on BookObsessed.

Journal Entry 9 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

This book arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY today.

Journal Entry 10 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Friday, July 20, 2007

The only good thing about being stuck at home, sick (with bronchitis) is that I've had some time to catch up on a bit of my TBR.

This Newbery Award-winning book is touching and lyrical. I loved the concept of "kira-kira" and how it was used throughout the novel. Another thing that makes this novel particularly potent is how Kadohata uses the child narrator to comment on larger societal issues. There's something about her Katie's naïveté that makes her observations particularly insightful. Here's one example: "My mother smelled funny. The factory workers weren't allowed to take unscheduled breaks, so they all wore pads in case they needed to use the bathroom. It smelled like my mother had used her pad. I decided someday when I was rich, I was going to buy the factory and let the workers use the bathroom whenever they wanted" (97).

I'm planning on RABCKing this book to someone special (my Birthday RABCK partner from last year). I hope she enjoys it.

Journal Entry 11 by yokaye on Sunday, August 05, 2007

This was waiting for me in the mail yesterday when I returned from a trip - a surprise RABCK, yay! :)

I just finished the book I was reading, so I should be able to get right into this one. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 12 by yokaye on Sunday, August 12, 2007

This book took me by surprise. It had been on my wishlist after a recommendation from a friend, but I never expected it to be so touching. You always read in a little bit of your own experience in whatever you are reading, but I related to the characters and situations in this book on a deep, personal level. Anyone who has a sister will enjoy this book; anyone who has lost a sister will treasure it.

I thought the point of view was spot-on. Her take on her experiences seemed natural, and the confusion and dissappointment of her sister's growing up and away was well done.

Despite the sadness of the story, it ends on a beautiful and peaceful note. This book really is glittering, shining...kira-kira.

Thanks so much for sending this to me, I loved it. Will find someone else to share this with soon to keep it moving.