corner corner Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies
by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bookfrogster of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 5/6/2004

status (set by rapturina): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 06, 2004

Found this in a charity shop. Looks good. Will read, journal and release.

Journal Entry 2 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 17, 2004

I often find short stories a bit disatisfying, but this book did not conform to that rule. A fabulous collection. I read it in one sitting as I couldn't put it down. Good characters and interesting themes. May save this to release at the next meet up.

Journal Entry 3 by bookfrogster at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 11, 2004

Released on Friday, June 11, 2004 at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom.

Handed over to the Royal Mail to deliver to Muffin77 in Germany. Happy reading.

Journal Entry 4 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, June 21, 2004

Received today. Thanks a lot *bookfrogster* - will start reading it tonight and make a ray with it!
-----
Edit July 9th:
Due to 2 very tough weeks I didn't start reading it yet - now I am having a free weekend coming up and will grab the chance to read the book.

Journal Entry 5 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, July 23, 2004

I really liked the book a LOT - I know it took me a long time to read the 200 pages but that was only due to my messed up private life. I love Asian stories and Boston is my fave city in the States - so that was a perfect setting for me. Also the stories are so simple but true. Thanks again for having me let reading this one!!!!!!!
I will do a posting now to get as many BCer for a bookray.
-----
10) Charlieboots76 (UK)
11) amberC (Australia)
12) ariuca (Spain)
13) ...?

Journal Entry 6 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Handed over to *juvi* yesterday - I know it took a LONG time for me to pass it on - and it was really my fault.... Sorry but now I wish the book a nice journey!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entry 7 by juvi from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Finally we managed to meet and exchange books and now I will start reading this book as soon as possible. Thanks bookfrogster and Muffin77!

Journal Entry 8 by juvi from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, February 12, 2005

So I finished it at last. It took me so long because sometimes I tried to save up some of the stories to enjoy them even more. While reading reviews of this collection by others I was astonished how differently they interpret them, e.g. the ending of the first story is seen as a chance to recover the relationship of the couple by some reviewers while others claim this must be the end. I still can't decide.
I will borrow the German translation and read from it to a couple of friends.

Journal Entry 9 by juvi at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Sachsen Germany on Monday, February 14, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (2/15/2005 UTC) at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Sachsen Germany

Sent to janetcarolina.

Journal Entry 10 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Sunday, March 06, 2005

Just got it on the mail a couple of days ago,haven´t had the time to read it yet, but i´m definitively looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 11 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Sunday, April 17, 2005

I must say i´ve never read anything like this before,the writer doesn´t believe that much in happy endings, but then, who does?

I personally enjoyed the first story the most, wether things will be fixed between the couple i couldn´t say,but i´d like to thing they will.

Pmed weeblet, but asked to be skipped so i´m PMing next in line.

Journal Entry 12 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sending this book today to Miss-gonewest in Australia.

Journal Entry 13 by miss-gonewest from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2005

This book arrived yesterday all the way from Peru - thanks to all for their part in the journey.

Another ring has also just arrived, so will try and get through that one real quick so I can sink my teeth into this book.

I am really looking forward to reading it - and will post back here with my thoughts once done.

Thanks to Muffin for starting this off.

Journal Entry 14 by miss-gonewest from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, August 01, 2005

Firstly my apologies for taking so long to get through this book... I really don't even have any good excuses, just life!

I really, really enjoyed this book. I was pleased that not all the stories had happy endings that wrapped up neatly, I found this really refreshing and realistic.

I thought Lahiri did a wonderful job of describing her characters - I felt like I really knew them and could empathise. What I loved most of all, is that she did it in short story format, which is a sign of great storytelling.

This would have to be on my Top 5 Books Read in 2005 List... I may even have to track down my own copy.

Thanks so very much to Muffin for starting the ring, and again please accept my apologies for dawdling with this book.

I will PM next in line so I can get this book travelling again.

Update 4th October - My biggest apologies. I have had a few things going on, including a visit to Europe and I have just returned. I will post this book along TOMORROW via airmail so as not to hold it up any longer!

Journal Entry 15 by miss-gonewest at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (10/5/2005 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted today via airmail to the USA - safe travels and happy reading.

Journal Entry 16 by Eucalia from Issaquah, Washington USA on Wednesday, October 19, 2005

This book arrived in my mailbox today all the way from Australia! Thanks so much, I can't wait to start it!

Journal Entry 17 by Eucalia at sent to bookcrosser in Mailed, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 24, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (10/24/2005 UTC) at sent to bookcrosser in Mailed, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I don't usually read short stories, but I'd heard so many good things about the stories in this book that I decided to give it a try. I have to say that I enjoyed every single story in it! As soon as I finished one story I couldn't resist starting the next. Thanks so much for sharing this with me! I finished it this morning and put it in the mail to still-legbamel this afternoon.

Journal Entry 18 by legbamel from Fargo, North Dakota USA on Monday, October 31, 2005

Ah, these are beautiful stories. They are not happy, by any means, but so warmly and softly written that you cannot help but be drawn in. I love getting glimpses of a different culture and perspective, all the while through familiar emotions and situations. The languid tone and difficult subjects make for a sort of other-worldly experience and I really wished I could sit down and read this one straight through.

Journal Entry 19 by legbamel at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 28, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (11/25/2005 UTC) at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This is on its way to mamagoggle. I hope she likes is as well as I did.

Journal Entry 20 by mamagoggle from Middlesex, New Jersey USA on Friday, December 02, 2005

I received this book in the mail today. I plan to start reading it this weekend. Based on all of the journal entries, I am really looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 21 by mamagoggle from Middlesex, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 10, 2005

I really enjoyed the stories in this book. It was a quick book to go through and I wished there were more stories when I had finished. I have put it in the mail to Hellie today (12/12/05). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by Hellie from South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, December 16, 2005

Arrived today, nice to come home to a book after a crap week at work!
Will read after ring book I'm currently reading...

30/12/05 enjoyed this book of short stories

favourite was quote at end of book...
"I know that my achievement is quite ordianry, I am not the only man to seek his fotune far from home, and cettainly am not the forst. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have travelled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination."

quite......

awaiting next address.....
Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 23 by weesisj from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 06, 2006

Book arrived today as part of a bookray. Looking forward to reading the short stories. Might pause to read my other book for a wee while to make sure I dont hold up this ring. And I fully agree it is exciting to hold a book that has been to so many places!

Journal Entry 24 by weesisj from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, January 22, 2006

Like the readers before me, I really enjoyed the very different short stories. Even though most of them have Indian couples as protagonists each story has its own interesting theme. As said before most stories are not happy, but very nice to read. The characters are very nicely described. Thanks for this wonderful bookring. The book will be posted on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 25 by Charlieboots76 from Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hi there, I recieved the book this morning and will be reading it very soon :) Many thanks weesisj.

Journal Entry 26 by Charlieboots76 from Ringwood, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I finished this book las week and throughly enjoyed reading the different stories. I will post it on to AmberC very soon.

Journal Entry 27 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, May 12, 2006

Arrived safely today, all wrapped up nicely in silver plastic.

i have a few other bookrings before i can get into this one.

Journal Entry 28 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Thursday, June 15, 2006

A wonderful, eloquent book. Ordinary lives portrayed in an extra-ordianry way.

Thankyou for sharing.

mailing to ariuca on my way to work this morning.

Journal Entry 29 by ariuca from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 24, 2006

I've just received Interpreter of Maladies. Thank you amberC for sending it and Muffin77 for sharing it with us.

Journal Entry 30 by ariuca from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, December 25, 2006

One of my favourite books this year. I was shocked by the details she uses to describe so efficiently depression, disenchantment and all the feelings in the short stories. I recognized myself in them.
Since I'm the last one in the ray I was thinking about sending it to a Greek bookcrosser I think it's going to appreciate it, if Muffin77 agrees.

Journal Entry 31 by ariuca from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sent today to pepita-di-corfu. I wish you enjoy one of my favourite readings of 2006.

Journal Entry 32 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oh-my-God! (pronounced in the way that only Janis from Friends knows how to do best!) This was the first RABCK for me this year, and also the first book i've received from Spain.. EVER! I love Spain, i love spanish people, and i love anything related to them. So i love this book as well without even having read it yet, but just because it came to me from my imaginary paradise! Thank you sooooooo very much ariuca for sending it, along with the other surprises! I'll surely keep my free ticket for accommodation in Madrid in hope to use it really soon! You're a treasure!

(((((ariuca)))))

ps. i liked a note that i found in the book written by another bookcrosser saying they find it amazing that the book has travelled to so many distant places, even though they've never been abroad. Greece has right now been added to the book's travelling history and as soon as i finish reading it, the journey will go on.. there are so many other countries missing!

Journal Entry 33 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Sunday, September 09, 2007

the truth is that i have never really liked reading short stories, i have always considered them as impromptu, work without much thinking where events are quickly described without allowing the reader to think between the words. But this time proved me wrong. Like many others before me i especially liked the first story opening the book, but also the last one. The first story made me think of how much can be revealed under darkness and thus enlighten. How much easier it is for someone to open up when they don't clearly see the person before them, how darkness makes us feel transparent, as if we face other people but in the meantime avoid them as well. I also got quite emotional when reading what really happened with Shukumar and his baby.
Concerning the last story, i was amazed like i always am, with people like Mala and her husband, who leave their country going someplace completely different from what they know and believe in so as to live a better life. Accept a job offer and make a new life from the scratch. I wish i had the courage to do the same.
Thank you ariuca once again for sending to me this book, i'll try and keep it circulating. It's done so many successful travels so far so it deserves to keep on doing so!

Journal Entry 34 by pepita-di-Corfu at postal release in To a bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 27, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (9/28/2007 UTC) at postal release in To a bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

It's times like this that make me think that someone's watching for me... The book is on it's way to Belgium where bestfriends is already waiting for it. This connection between the book's last three stops is intriguing for me. Spain, Greece, Belgium. This gives reasons for me to believe that coincidences in life are not always coincidences... or maybe all this lies in different points of view?..
Anyway, that was all personal pondering...
To cut a long story short, i hope bestfriends will like reading this book as much as she did with other Jhumpa Lahiri's books!

Journal Entry 35 by wingbestfriendswing from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The book arrived in the beautiful Belgian Ardennes today.

Thank you so much pepita-di-Corfu for this RABCK and also for the postcard and the whole stack of bookmarks! I'm certainly also intrigued by you personal remark (Spain-Greece-Belgium)!

I'm sorry you did not want a book in return. I will mention your name in my "Hall of Fame" in my profile, not to forget. Maybe in the future? I can assure you though, that if I can't "pay it back", I will "pay it forward"!

Looking forward to reading this. I have at least two books ahead of it, but will come back here to let you know, what I thought about it.

Journal Entry 36 by wingbestfriendswing from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Finished reading yesterday (late at night, could not put it down!).
If I'd have to pick a favorite story, I guess it would be the touching one about Shoba and Shukumar, the young couple in "A Temporary Matter", or ......maybe the last one about Mala and her husband (which reminded me of "the Namesake"). Great read, although I somehow expected something different from the story that gave it's name to the title. But never mind, I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Will see to it that this well-traveled book keeps on traveling. I have someone in mind to whom I could RABCK it, but I would have to do a little search to see if she hasn't already read it. If so, I'm sure I will find a good destination.

Thanks for sharing!

Will be sent to rapturina in Rotterdam, my home town in the Netherlands. I'm glad she had not read it yet, as she was the one who hosted the ring "the Namesake" I joined. So that's how I first met with Jhumpa Lahiri's writing. The perfect candidate for this RABCK!

Journal Entry 37 by wingbestfriendswing at Controlled release by mail in -- controlled release --, Liège / Luik Belgium on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (11/7/2007 UTC) at Controlled release by mail in -- controlled release --, Liège / Luik Belgium

on it's way to rapturina in Rotterdam by economy mail.

Veel leesplezier!

Journal Entry 38 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 10, 2007

Thank you so much, bestfriends! I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, as I loved "The Namesake" and am very interested in reading more of Jhumpa Lahiri's writing. Reading the comments from the previous readers has made me even more curious. :D It's going to Mount TBR for now, but I hope I will get to it soon!

Journal Entry 39 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What a wonderful book! I would've read it in one go if I hadn't needed to get off the train. :D I've read Jhumpa Lahiri's "The Namesake" a while ago and was very impressed with it, and this collection of stories lived up to my expectations after "The Namesake". I love her writing style, she writes very fluent and evocative and the stories & characters really come to life. When I finished the book I just put it down and stared into space for quite a while, just thinking about the stories and their themes. As other journallers have mentioned before me, the stories are all very sad in a way, but Jhumpa Lahiri does sad so very well and it made me very contemplative - I love it when a book does that. :D My favourite stories were the first, "A Temporary Matter", and "Sexy". And "This Blessed House". And the last one "The Third and Final Continent". :D Thanks again, bestfriends, for giving me the chance to read this wonderful book.

Not sure yet what this book's next destination will be, but I will find someone to send it to at some point, I'm sure!

Journal Entry 40 by rapturina at -- Wild Released New York City in New York City, New York USA on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/4/2008 UTC) at -- Wild Released New York City in New York City, New York USA

I'm flying to New York City today for a weeklong holiday, and this book will be flying along in my luggage and will be released somewhere in the city. It seems a fitting continuation of its travels as it has already travelled far and wide!

To the person who finds this book: Welcome to Bookcrossing! Please take a minute to have a look at the previous journal entries and see where this book has travelled to. I hope you will enjoy reading this book and that you will pass it on to someone else so it can continue travelling the world. Thanks!