corner corner The Shipping News : A Novel

The Shipping News : A Novel
by Annie Proulx | Literature & Fiction
Registered by turing-machine of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, May 03, 2004

status (set by kjstinger): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by turing-machine from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, May 03, 2004

i liked this book. you can't beat newfoundland as a setting, that's what i figure.

i am giving this book to R#2.

Journal Entry 2 by rednumbertwo from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

thanks! will read it very soon...

Journal Entry 3 by rednumbertwo from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I liked it too. The characters were interesting, but at first I felt a little uncomfortable that they were "colourful local characters," you know? As if part of the appeal of the story was looking at the nutty Newfies. But as the book progressed, I saw that there was compassion and respect for the characters, so it was ok. Also, I had some difficulties getting used to the style of the writing: the short phrases, sometimes without verbs or subjects or structure or something. But again, I got used to it, and it seemed natural after a while.
I will watch the movie soon to see my favorite temporary Haligonian...

Journal Entry 4 by kjstinger at Dauphin Marketplace Mall in Dauphin, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Released on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 at Dauphin Marketplace Mall in Dauphin, Manitoba Canada.

It'll be left in the mall this afternoon.