corner corner The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Rohrspatz of Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 4/26/2004

status (set by xfdragon): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Rohrspatz from Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 26, 2004

"On her way home from school on a snowy December day in 1973, 14-year-old Susie Salmon ("like the fish") is lured into a makeshift underground den in a cornfield and brutally raped and murdered, the latest victim of a serial killer--the man she knew as her neighbor, Mr. Harvey.

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case. As Sebold fashions it, everyone has his or her own version of heaven. Susie's resembles the athletic fields and landscape of a suburban high school: a heaven of her "simplest dreams," where "there were no teachers.... We never had to go inside except for art class.... The boys did not pinch our backsides or tell us we smelled; our textbooks were Seventeen and Glamour and Vogue."

The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years like an episode of My So-Called Afterlife. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family, and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on Earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow." Though sentimental at times, The Lovely Bones is a moving exploration of loss and mourning that ultimately puts its faith in the living and that is made even more powerful by a cast of convincing characters. Sebold orchestrates a big finish, and though things tend to wrap up a little too well for everyone in the end, one can only imagine (or hope) that heaven is indeed a place filled with such happy endings." (amazon.com)

Journal Entry 2 by Rohrspatz at sent to fellow BookCrosser in Duisburg, Germany -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Released 13 yrs ago (9/7/2004 UTC) at sent to fellow BookCrosser in Duisburg, Germany -- Controlled Releases

In die TNEB gepackt.

Journal Entry 3 by Daine from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Thursday, October 07, 2004

Just took it out of the TNEB BookBox

10.02: Not my cup of tea, I´m afraid...

1.3.: "Women's Fiction" Relay, sent to surfenkitten today

Journal Entry 4 by khillz28 from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 07, 2005

recv in a relay exchange, thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by khillz28 from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Thursday, April 28, 2005

I had actually already read this book and I really liked it. I got it this time for my daughter to read, she said the dead girl thoughts freaked her out...lol. But she enjoyed the book also. Now I am sending it to scubydewgirl for the "Welcome Wagon" relay. I hope you enjoy relaying!

Journal Entry 6 by rem_NGM-577609 on Thursday, May 19, 2005

I had heard that this book was good but didn't have any inkling of the plot line. I loved it, especially Susie's revenge near the end. =) Thanks so much khillz28!

Journal Entry 7 by rem_NGM-577609 on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Passed on to another bookcrosser at the Norwood Area Bookcrossers meetup. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 8 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

given to me by a fellow bookcrosser at a meetup tonight

Journal Entry 9 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I just finished reading this book and really enjoyed it- eventhough it is told by an adolescent the book is more than just an adolescent's story or thoughts.

Journal Entry 10 by sabeena29 from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, July 26, 2005

sending to pattakins as part of a book relay- enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by Pattakins from La Verne, California USA on Thursday, August 04, 2005

I received this from sabeena29 in Boston, MA as part of a bookrelay. I am looking forward to reading it, and will pass it on when I'm finished.

I sent this to luvs-chicago as requested on Paperbackswap.com.

Journal Entry 12 by luvs-chicago from Peoria, Illinois USA on Thursday, February 16, 2006

I received this through paperbackswap.com! What a great surprise!

Journal Entry 13 by xfdragon from Brownsville, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 28, 2006

caught this one through paperbackswap.com - looking forward to an excellent read and passing it on!!!