corner corner ! Ice Bound (BOOKRING)

! Ice Bound (BOOKRING)
by Dr Jerri Nielsen | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by DYI-991976 on 4/18/2004

status (set by jillbe): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by DYI-991976 on Sunday, April 18, 2004

Powerful stuff. Dr Nielsen ran away to the South Pole to get her life together... and then diagnosed herself with breast cancer. What happened next caught the attention of the world. This is a second copy I've bought to lend to a friend.

Journal Entry 2 by DYI-991976 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005

This is now going on a bookring. :)

Journal Entry 3 by DYI-991976 on Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Book Ring Rules (Adapted from psychjo and kleptokitty)

1) Everybody should leave a journal entry when receiving the book and after the read! Please let us all know what you think about it...
2) Also PM the next person on the list for a mailing address and when that person doesn't answer within 7 days MAX! please PM the one after...
3) Everybody should also try to read the book soon (max - one month?)- but in a joyful speed. It's not about how many books someone can read within a certain amount of time - it's about enjoying it...
4) You can send the book via surface mail or airmail - that is completely up to you.
5) If you find you don't have the time to read it when it's your turn please PM and I'll move you to a later slot.
6) Enjoy :-)

turquoisefloyd (UK)
gembear (UK)
jherusalem (US)
Vespa (UK)

Journal Entry 4 by DYI-991976 at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (5/31/2005 UTC) at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 5 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I'm really sorry, I did receive this book some time ago and have forgotten to journal it! I have been reading it slowly, as I have so much else on at the present time - hope to finish it this / next week and pass on to adrienne10.

Journal Entry 6 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 27, 2005

What a brilliant book - I've been telling everyone about it! For me, the story of the cancer was more an aside to the story of life at the South Pole, the community that developed within such a beautifully harsh environment. I just want to run away to be a Polie now! I would love to speak with Jerri, maybe I will someday.

To post on to adrienne10 in USA.

Journal Entry 7 by jazz-ee2 at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (7/28/2005 UTC) at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Adrienne10 via surface mail.

Journal Entry 8 by adrienne10 from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Received in today's mail. Will get to it as soon as possible. Thanks for including me on this ring!

Journal Entry 9 by adrienne10 from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, November 14, 2005

Oops! I got carried away on another series. I am going to set about reading this as quickly as possible and get it on. I apologize for the long delay!

Update 11/28: I started reading this on November13th, thinking I could get through this 364 page book in about one week. This is not a quick read! Even using all my spare time, which is not much, I only finished it today. Again, I apologize for the long delay on reading this book. I will mail it to wilksie tomorrow, and I will send it as speedy as money allows.

I really enjoyed this book. The story was quite captivating. I remember the situation well. I was frustrated with the lack of information about the situation at the time, but now I realize how the media invaded her privacy. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Journal Entry 10 by adrienne10 at through mail in Give to the followed bookcrosser on the bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (11/29/2005 UTC) at through mail in Give to the followed bookcrosser on the bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I sent this air mail, so should arrive to wilksie in 4-7 days. Again, I apologize for the months and months that were sunk into my getting to read this book (from shipping to my own delay to read it and length of time it took to read).

Journal Entry 11 by wilksie from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 05, 2005

Arrived today, thank you adrienne10. The South Pole would be my ultimate adventure destination so I'm looking forward to reading about it, as well as Dr Nielson's story :-)

Journal Entry 12 by wilksie from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 06, 2006

Some of this was really interesting – I hadn’t realised that the South Pole was at such high altitude so that the ‘Polies’ had to cope with altitude sickness as well as the dreadful cold. Descriptions of day to day life were fascinating, the dirty clothes, held together with duct tape, the upset to metabolism with Dr Nielsen’s nails growing fast but hair growing slowly etc. But I found the author could not bring the characters she worked with alive for me and golly, she is no travel writer! Descriptions of the Antarctic itself barely happened. Somehow she wrote in a very ‘removed’ manner (including lots of letters) so that her descriptions of her cancer and treatment were pretty boring, to be honest. I appreciated her courage and her commitment but still felt that by the end of the book I barely knew the author.

Sending on to catsalive in Australia.

Journal Entry 13 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Book received. Thanks, wilksie.

Journal Entry 14 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I loved reading about life at the South Pole. I've always wanted to visit Antarctica, & I will one day, but I don't think I'd like to winterover.

Not having had to deal with cancer that part of the book was incidental for me too, but it must have been an incredible journey for the people involved. Those techos did an amazing job to keep the comms going so Jerri could 'speak' to her doctor.

The trouble with the media is that they just see this sort of privacy invasion as doing their job, with no thought for the people involved. A story's a story. Must have been very difficult for Jerri's family with the media threatening just to give her ex-husband's view (what an arsehole - sorry, can't think of a nicer word).

I'll post this off to AnnevO tomorrow.

Journal Entry 15 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Thanks dameonwolf. I've posted this via surface mail to AnnevO.

Journal Entry 16 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, May 06, 2006

The book arrived in Rotterdam today, after a long journey.

Journal Entry 17 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, May 18, 2006

This is a very compelling book. Both life at the Pole and treating yourself for breast cancer are very powerful, extreme things. I like the way the book focusses more on human interaction then on medical and technical details.

This book will be travelling on to Switzerland, starting today.

Journal Entry 18 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Just received in the post today - thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, June 02, 2006

This was a wonderful, gripping book, which was about so much more than the illness and the rescue. I loved all the details about life in Antartica and how people responded to life on the ice. The book was also so full of friendship and how people can work together in such difficult situations. Will be buying a copy to give to a friend!

posted 10 June (slow post) to sunflowergirl

Journal Entry 20 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Monday, July 10, 2006

I've just received this book, thank you. I've been away for a couple of weeks so I'm not sure when exactly it arrived. I do have four ring books to read ahead of it but I'll get to it as soon as I can, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 21 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I finished reading this book yesterday afternoon, I found it to be a really interesting and engrossing read. I loved how the book was written and how we were told about the South Pole and the people who were staying there too. I was surprised that Jerri's battle with cancer wasn't written about until later in the book but I liked that it wasn't a dominating factor. It was really interesting to hear about life at the Pole first, she really brought it to life for me. I've read books about Scott's trips to the Antarctic and about other Polar explorers but this was the first book documenting more modern life in the Antarctic that I've read. It was interesting to hear about Jerri's life prior to her going to the South Pole as well.

I now plan on buying a copy of this book for my permanant collection. I've told a lot of friends about this book while I've been reading it so I think quite a few people will be off to buy a copy now!

I've already PM'd lyzzybee and received an address back so the book will be in the post asap.

Journal Entry 22 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Saturday, July 29, 2006

I posted this book today by second class post so it should be with Lyzzybee soon.

Journal Entry 23 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Recieved today - thank you!

I should get to this soon as I just finished a book and Matt is still on the other BookRing we both have.

I have reattached both the BCID label and the loose photo pages - not perfectly, as they had slipped out of the binding, but well enough that they won't escape. Trust me, I'm a librarian!

Journal Entry 24 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 06, 2006

This was brilliant - I thought it gave a very thorough and fascinating view of life in the station. I've read a lot of polar exploration books, but never one set at the base like this, and I loved all the intricate detail.

Wasn't so keen on the medical stuff, being a big wuss, but I knew it would be there and managed OK.

Loved the friendships and interactions and I thought she described her fellow Polies well.

Thanks for including me on the ring. Am PMing turquoisefloyd now.

Journal Entry 25 by LyzzyBee at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 07, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (8/12/2006 UTC) at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting to Turquoisefloyd asap.

I'm not sure if I'll get to the PO before Saturday, so putting Saturday's date on the release note.

I am trying to reduce parcel size by wrapping it in brown paper (securely taped and strengthened) in advance of the new postage charging system - so hopefully I'll get a report on how the packaging survived on arrival!

Journal Entry 26 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 10, 2006

Just received from Lyzzybee. Thanks! FYI - the packaging was intact, no rips or holes anywhere on it. You did a good job, packing it!! Looking forward to this - it'll go next but one in the pile :-)

Journal Entry 27 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 11, 2006

I can't read any more of this book. The first chapter was enough to put me off, it reads like something by Danielle Steel.

I'm sending it on as soon as I can!!

Journal Entry 28 by abitstormyout at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 22, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (9/22/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Gembear today.

Journal Entry 29 by Gembear from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Oh naughty me! I've just had an email asking if I received the book. Have I what! I'm really into it reading it every chance I get because it is so interesting and intriguing. Sorry about forgetting to journal it's arrival, I'm all a'dither here. I blame it all on my husband who keeps renovating around me and shifting things about too much. It's always the man's fault, right?

Journal Entry 30 by Gembear from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, November 30, 2006

Absolutely enjoyed this book from start to finish. I found the description of the changes people underwent during the isolation at the pole quite intriguing along with how they cheered themselves up with special parties or trips out on the ice. I was fascinated by how the team all pulled together to help Jerri perform her tests, administer the treatments, hook up video conferences, etc., yet still function in their everyday jobs. I'm sure the experience profoundly changed many lives, not just Jerri's. Sad there was no happy ending in terms of the children's awareness of their mother's love though. Off to the US now.

Journal Entry 31 by jherusalem from Richmond, Virginia USA on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Received safely :) Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 32 by jherusalem from Richmond, Virginia USA on Thursday, August 02, 2007

I read this book back in February and thought I''d sent it on. I apologize profusely for the delay. It''s going to Vespa tomorrow.

Journal Entry 33 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Arrived safely this morning. Can't wait to start reading this

Journal Entry 34 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, September 16, 2007

Like other readers, I really enjoyed learning a bit about the pole and those who live there, but I didn't find the story as compelling as I expected it to be. I didn't really feel any attachment to any of the characters, although of course I felt intense sympathy for Jerri and the situation she found herself in. I'm not sure that her estrangement from her children added anything to the story and I felt very uncomfortable reading those bits - I felt that she could have talked about the horrid ex, without dragging the kids into it.

I'm just waiting to see if this book is going home now, or if it is going too continue its journey onwards - it is still in very good condition considering just how many miles it has travelled in the last 2 years :-)

Journal Entry 35 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, March 01, 2008

I've tried very hard to get hold of daemonwolf to see what she wants to happen to this book next. If anyone has contact with her (or if she reads this JE) could you please get her to get in touch

Journal Entry 36 by jillbe at Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, March 17, 2011

Given to me specifically for bookcrossing from Vespa. Going to wild release etc.

Journal Entry 37 by jillbe at Bus Stop, Bridport Road in Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, May 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/1/2011 UTC) at Bus Stop, Bridport Road in Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom

Welcome to bookcrossing and thank you for picking up this book.
Please make a Journal Entry to let me know that it has found a good home with
you.....then read and release for someone else to find!!