corner corner BookCrossing Through Middle-Earth

BookCrossing Through Middle-Earth
by Skyring | Travel
Registered by skyring of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 4/11/2004

status (set by tempestsans): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, April 11, 2004

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

This is my book, written for Bookcrossing's Third Anniversary and registered for the Race to a Million Challenge.

It's not actually printed yet, but I want to have the actual Bookcrossing number printed as part of the book, and by using these pre-numbered labels I can do that.

I'm registering this one for the Bookcrossing Million Book Challenge. #40

Journal Entry 2 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I worked through Easter to get this to a very rough stage so it could be printed and sent off to make it to Christchurch in time for the convention. A few dramas along the way, but nothing major.

Probably the only few books ever printed with their own individual Bookcrossing IDs printed right there in the book.

This copy is off to Christchurch by FedEx and I hope it has a wonderful time at what looks like being a great convention.

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, April 16, 2004

Caught at the New Zealand Bookcrossing Convention.

We've decided to bookring this book around the Christchurch Bookcrossers, and I'm the first stop.

^^
=+=

Journal Entry 4 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 17, 2004

Bookray order so far:

1. FutureCat
2. rarsberry
3. lytteltonwitch
4. ORNOT
5. ??? PM me to be added to this list.

=+=

Journal Entry 5 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, April 19, 2004

I *was* going to set this aside until I'd finished reading the book I'm currently on, but the temptation became too much, so I read it this afternoon :-)

A really good read, that makes me want to either go and revisit all these places myself, or finally get around to putting my own travel memories down on paper (something I've been meaning to do ever since I got back from my "Big OE" a few years ago...). Skyring has a really amusing, readable style, and manages to throw in a lot of incredibly informative stuff amongst the jokes.

I noticed one or two minor factual corrections needed (mostly to do with placenames), but I'll PM you directly with those, Skyring.

However, I must point out that one of the places you mention, Cape Foulwind, just happens to be the closest point in New Zealand to Australia, and the locals claim that it gets its name from the fact that the prevailing nor'west wind blows directly from our trans-Tasman neighbour ;-)

On its way to Dunedin next...

=+=

Journal Entry 6 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, April 26, 2004

Got this little darling in the mail this morning, along with a surprise book.
Thank you for sending it.
I'll read it over the next few days and post it to lytteltonwitch. (#12 in the world :) )
Or will I? Maybe I should booknap it and let it travel around Dunedin for a while. I know of two other keen BCers who would love to read it.
I'll PM FutureCat and negotiate some sort of ransom...................

Journal Entry 7 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, May 12, 2004

What a great book. :o)
I loved reading it, I think maybe coz it was about New Zealand.
Its nice to know that someone enjoyed visiting the country so much that they would come back again.
I enjoyed reading about the fun you had on your trips, especially to places I've never been before. I even learnt a few new things about NZ's history.

Hopefully the book can travel outside of NZ so that others will be so jealous they will also want to come here for a holiday.

Ok, I have to say it, I did find a few mistakes, spelling and punctuation, in it which need fixing. And the 'fush and chups' thing got annyoing the 2nd time. Some of us can actually pronounce it properly. lol. I'll PM you about those.

The book is going to stay in Dunedin for a while for a few others to read before it makes its way back to Christchurch. :)

================
Bother I forgot to write down the errors before I let the book go. I'm sure others will pick up on them.
Anyway I've given the book to boreal, who will give it to hadash1 after she has finished reading it, then it can go back to Chch.

Journal Entry 8 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, May 13, 2004

Rarsberry gave this to me this morning, the second stop on its Dunedin excursion. I started reading it on the bus on the way home (just about missed my bus-stop, so engrossed was I), am looking forward to reading the rest.

Journal Entry 9 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Friday, May 21, 2004

I started reading this the afternoon I got it from Rarsberry and finished it that night. It is wonderful to read of NZ from an outsiders point of view -especially someone as enthusiastic as you Skyring.

Like Rarsberry I would love to visit some of the places you have visited especially the North Island ones as I haven't been further north than New Plymouth.
And it was nice to see my name in print :-) The little spine label I put on the book must have done what was intended.
The only error I spotted was a date on page 40 -shouldn't it be 1768?
Thanks for sharing this great book.
Am going to put this in Hadash1's mailbox tomorrow.

The photo shows the Dunedin railway station.

Journal Entry 10 by hadash1 from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Sunday, May 30, 2004

Full marks for enthusiasm and humour. Because of local content and the fact that I have travelled the length of New Zealand myself (on foot), I wasn't able to put the book down - always a good sign.
However, I felt that the book jumped around too much. I wasn't able to deal with two streams of consciousness 20 years apart. In terms of 'plot' the narrative didn't seem to lead me anywhere.
Nevertheless, hey, great effort. New Zealand is honoured by being treated so warmly by an Australian. I hope that some Kiwi will reciprocate.
I drive up to Christchurch next weekend and will pass the book on.

Journal Entry 11 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Really enjoyed reading it,next time I think Skyring should spend more time in New Zealand as we have so much in our country to see.One little note page 70 the all Blacks were originally given the nickname All Backs due to the strength of their backs in a team touring 1920's ? but soon became All Blacks.Will check to see who is next on list and send it wandering

Journal Entry 12 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Picked up on ORNOT's behalf at the meetup tonight, because he wasn't able to attend. I'll pass it on to him when he gets back to Christchurch at the weekend.

=+=

Journal Entry 13 by ORNOT from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, August 19, 2004

Present and book shaped.

I can't wait to read this and especially what I have heard is the highlight of the work, page 119. I'm serious, someone very close to me said it was a wondrous page and that it had what is probably the best sentence of the entire book! Someone very, very close.

Journal Entry 14 by ORNOT from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, October 07, 2004

Eep! I've had this a long time. Apologies. Profuse and profound ones.

Well, it is always interesting to read an outsider's view of one's country, and this was particularly so. This was written with great charm and insight. As evidenced by page 119, an especially moving sentence of which will stick with me all this week. (Any other week it would have lasted much longer, but like a really good tune, once you get overwhelmed with other things, it soon disappears and you regrettably are left wondering how it went.) Anyway, that page contained a brilliant piece of writing. i would have liked to have seen more of that sort of thing, but my eyes gave out and the lightbulb blew and...

I didn't have this for Lent did I? No.

But I digress. I liked the bit about sausages and chips and the references to well known fantasy works, such as Gormenghast and the Chocolate Factory.

Recommended reading for adults. Some of the scenes were a bit blue near the beginning. Even I blushed.

Sending it on finances, time and memory willing.

Journal Entry 15 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, March 25, 2005

Picked up at the BCNZ Convention - at registration last night. I'm trying to get it read quickly so I can pass it on before leaving Christchurch.

Journal Entry 16 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, March 27, 2005

Wow! Samuel Pepys eat your heart out! You must be quite the diarist, Skyring.

I enjoyed your book, even though I sometimes had trouble telling which decade I was in. Never mind, the content was very entertaining & I'm glad I had a chance to read it.

I don't know how you came up with the idea that Canberra is the perfect city - some sort of mental aberration there. I also know for a fact that you should have no difficulty pronouncing the P in L&P now - you were TOLD yesterday. You do remember, don't you?

I'm passing this on to MeganH.

Journal Entry 17 by meganh from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Received from catsalive in the late evening whilst preparing for a very early start (rising at 4AM - OUCH!) to return to the land of OZ. So, this book which was sent to NZ for the 2004 convention has returned to the land of the author's birth at the end of the 2005 convention.

Journal Entry 18 by meganh from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 10, 2005

An entertaining read which I completed on the plane travelling back from the NZ convention - what a great time we had! I enjoyed the conversational style of the book. I did get a bit confused with the jumping backwards and forward between the two trips.
It was great to read just after seeing parts of the South Island for the first time and I certainly concur with skyring on the beauty of the country. I would have liked to hear more about the Lord of the Rings connections.
Passed to leith to read.

Journal Entry 19 by leith from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Enjoyed reading this travel log of experiences in New Zealand.20 years between trips a lot of nostalgia expressed in the writings. Also gained some novel ways on where to leave books without getting noticed or caught.I agree with skyring New Zealand is a beautiful country although my experience is limited to the South Island

Journal Entry 20 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, May 15, 2005

Then this was passed to me at the last meetup. It's taken me almost a week to register it as caught, which shows you how much free time I have at the moment, but I've been assured it's a quick and excellent read so I will try to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 21 by puppymummy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, June 26, 2005

Really enjoyed reading this book, it's been a while since I was in New Zealand and some of the memories just came flooding back! Passed it on to wombles at yum-cha.

Journal Entry 22 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Sunday, June 26, 2005

Thanks to both puppymummy and of course Pete for this fantastic book, I started reading on the train on the way home from Brisbane convention and am loving it, I think my mum would love to read this too, then i will pass it on at brisbane meetup next time I get there.
Wendy (who is putting coins in a money box now saving for airfares to dunedin, Pete "sells" NZ well!)

Journal Entry 23 by wombles at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 16, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (7/16/2005 UTC) at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia

Finished this and then my mum read it as well, she loved it! I'm taking it to meetup in Brisbane tomorrow to share with everyone!

Journal Entry 24 by MadamMuck from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 17, 2005

Saw the release notes for this before the meet up and after the original rush to grab the goods, I have come up trumps. Have just finished Harry VI, so am looking for a welcome distraction.

Journal Entry 25 by MadamMuck from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Timing dictated that I read this now, I want to get it back to the next meetup this weekend and I had forgotten. I quite enjoyed this and would love to be able to see some of the scenery that has been described. Like some of the others, ocassionally I got a bit confused about which trip I was reading about. However, I enjoyed the read and will pass on the next avid reader on Sunday

Journal Entry 26 by jawin from Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Monday, October 31, 2005

What a great read! Not only is Pete a good bloke, he's a pretty handy diarist as well. Is there no end to this man's talents?
I particularly enjoyed the time travelling aspect and the changed perspectives from young and newly wed, to more mature with kids in tow. The release hints were educational, too, and have been stored in the (failing) memory bank for future use.
This will go along to the next Brisbane meetup, to be shared with other bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 27 by whitequeen from Ipswich, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I've finally got THE BOOK!!! I've been watching it go round the table at Meet-up, reaching out, and then having it snatched from under my nose!

I look forward to reading it.....but if I have to pass it on at Meet-up I must drop everything now...and read.
Stay tuned for my in depth analysis....

Journal Entry 28 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Just re-reading all the nice things people have said about my book. It's easy to write when you love your subject, and New Zealand is pretty much my idea of paradise. Just give me some of that great Kiwi tucker and some tall mountains to look upon and I'm happy. I'm looking forward to my fourth visit in February next year.

But the most scenic parts of New Zealand are the smiles on the faces of the locals. It's always a pleasure to see a clutch of Kiwi BookCrossers. Forget all that rubbish about Americans or Finns - New Zealanders are the greatest BookCrossers in the world!

Even more surprising is that all these comments come from an early version, written and printed in haste, full of errors and badly needing a polish. The current edition, available from Lulu.com, fixes a lot of the mistakes and is a bit more robust. I cringe with embarrasment when I think of anyone actually reading this version!

Journal Entry 29 by whitequeen at Mary Ryan's Paddington in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, December 17, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (12/17/2005 UTC) at Mary Ryan's Paddington in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Ummmm....no time for in depth analysis....Brisbane Xmas party in 1 hour and 50 minutes!!!! Aargh, not ready, books not journalled....meltdown!!

I did love reading your book Skyring. The best bit for me was reading about all your great releases and how you involve Bookcrossing in your day to day life......
.......gotta go!

Journal Entry 30 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, December 18, 2005

Picked up this book from the Brisbane BookCrossers' Christmas get-together. Have heard so much about this journal, so just had to have it. Look forward to hearing about Skyring's travels in NZ.

Journal Entry 31 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, December 26, 2005

A wonderful read and great travelogue Skyring. I enjoyed your comparisons between your travels of 2003 and 20 years previously, and look forward to the next installment - the trip with children! Wish I had your memory for detail and an obviously well-kept travel-diary.

New Zealand does sound like a wonderful place to visit and one which I'll have to add to my travl wishlist.

I also really enjoyed your escapades with BookCrossing throughout your travels and some of your more creative release points for books.

Journal Entry 32 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Received this book back from my sister who enjoyed it - she covered much of the same ground in her own trip and enjoyed reliving it through this book. Hopefully this will enthuse her to become involved in BookCrossing in the future.

I did a quick search of BookCrossing for other copies of this book, and realised that of the nearly 50 copies of this book, this is the best travelled copy by far, and no copies appear to have made it to Canada (US, UK, NZ, Australia received most of the copies).

I've decided to send this copy on to a friend in Canada to start the process of sharing this great book with our Canadian friends and to see if it inspires her to do something similar to share her own BookCrossing Mystery - especially as a short version will be appearing in the BookCrossing Newletter & has had great interest among BookCrossers worldwide.

Neesy from Brisbane has another copy of this book to share as a BookRay with the remaining Brisbane BookCrossers who haven't yet read this book.

Journal Entry 33 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Oh Lord! Is there no end to this book's travelling? I'm off to Canada myself in a couple of months for the Toronto Convention, but more excitingly I'm heading over the Tasman to Dunedin in less than a week now for the 2006 New Zealand Convention, and I notice that some of this book's journallers will be joining me there. Those not already resident. It will be such fun to see not only my old friends, but this beautiful land once again. It will be my fourth visit to Dunedin, a city very close to my heart. And by no means the last!

Honestly, I don't need to gush over New Zealand. the place sells itself!

And no, Catsalive, I can't pronounce the P in L&P. I can't even spell it! I love the stuff, but there's too many vowels crammed into it. I ask for a "Lemon and Pee, please", and they give it to me anyway.

Journal Entry 34 by KarenBC from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Wow - 39 journal entries to this point. But folks - this book is so LUCKY to have made it here at all. The envelope that it was in got totally trashed enroute from Australia. The customs sticker on the front said that 3 books were enclosed - but this is the only one that made it through. So lucky for this book, and sad for the other 2! :(

Sorry I won't get to meet you this time around Skyring - unless you happen to be rolling through BC on your trip.

Now I'm going to have to ponder a good release for this book, after a thorough reading with a cuppa tea nearby.

...March 6, 2006 - ok, so I pondered while reading it & enjoying a cup of Red Rose Tea (the National tea of Canada!) though I did get distracted by thoughts of beer when I seen the picture of the beer sculpture in this book! Anyhow, I'm sending this book on to Ottawabill - with the hope that he will take it to the Toronto convention!

Journal Entry 35 by ottawabill from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Well the book fared better within Canada and arrived in good shape along with some other treasures (thank you KarenBC).

I am indeed going to the convention and may bring it with me although the temptation is to read it and send it on its way to see where else it goes.

But wait...i can read it, bring it to the convention, SHOW it to Skyring but RELEASE it to someone else so that it continues it journey. Hmmmm that sounds like a plan !

Journal Entry 36 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 23, 2006

Wahoooo!!! I found this on the Book Buffet table at the convention (was it last night or this morning, I can't remember already!! Eek!;-)

I want you to know that when I first joined Bookcrossing in March of 2004, it took me awhile to find the forums and to learn to navigate my way around. It could have been a few months after that sometime, I'm not really sure but somehow, I stumbled across something in the sidebar and read and read and read some travelogue of Skyring's, complete with pictures. It may even have been the earliest version of what eventually became THIS book!

I was enthralled, not only by his wonderful writing and easy style, but by the concept that THIS is what journalling can be! And that because of the journal notes, this is the ultimate in book-tracking.

And now, reading all the journal entries for this book, I just love how it's travelled and I am thrilled to be part of its continuing journey. And the best part is that I actually got to meet Skyring this weekend right here in Toronto at our convention.

I will read and savour this and when I'm done, I will send it on its way, perhaps giving it a little tour of Toronto to get to know some our bookcrossers, too.

Journal Entry 37 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, April 23, 2006

I'm over the moon in the convention hotel. Getting to meet (and hug) the famous Ottawabill was wonderful. One of the highlights of the convention - certainly one session that evoked a very positive response from everyone there - was Bill's very witty, funny and practical presentation on mass releases.

And, as ever, getting to meet the marvellous folk who make up BookCrossing, people like Jessibud.

Just re-reading the story of how this book that I sent to the 2004 New Zealand BookCrossing Convention (held on the same day but several hours before the St Louis Convention) came to be present at the 2006 Anniversary (and that I should be present to see it) is amazing. One of the triumphs of passing books around.

I've been pinching myself for the past three days to think that I am really actually here in Toronto.

I've had a great time. Thanks to all who participated in getting this book here at this time, and may I express a fond hope that some of those reading it will feel moved to write up their own BookCrossing adventures.

And send me a copy!

Journal Entry 38 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Uh-oh. I'm in trouble now.

I was about to say, don't fall off your chair from shock that I am finally checking in, Skyring, after all this time. But, in fact, I am the one in shock to see that I never even journalled this book!!! I picked it up from the book buffet table last year at the Toronto convention and was thrilled to have it in my hands.

Being of rather large size and not exactly a book that easily stands upright on a shelf with a title on the spine which is easily visible, what happened is that I lay this book down flat. Alas, in this house, anything that lies flat is fair and fertile ground to spout a *pile* of stuff..... In a word, it got buried. Sigh...

Happily, though, I recently found it and have begun to devour it. I'll have a 3-hour wait at the airport tomorrow, then several more hours in transit before I land in Charleston so I fully expect to have it finished and ready to continue its travels!

Sorry it's been MIA and unaccounted-for for so long.

Journal Entry 39 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I for one am very happy to see this book heading to Charleston, because during the convention NZ's bid to host the 2009 Anniversary Convention will be voted on, and I can't think of a better advertisement for our fair country than Skyring's book. So make sure it gets passed round as many people as possible before the voting!!! :-)

=+=

Journal Entry 40 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 25, 2007

As promised, I did finish this book on the plane to Charleston last week and enjoyed it enormously. My only disappointment was that Kerri did not accompany you to Charleston, Skyring. It only seemed right that I should meet her, too, when handing over the book! Oh well, perhaps some other time in some other place...

Meantime, I was telling Hotflash (with whom I shared a room at the hotel) about this book and before I could bring it downstairs to the book buffet tables, she began to read it. Well, let's just say, the next journal entry you receive will be coming from her!

So, my question is, have you ever had this *first draft* published? And is there another one in the works? Goodness knows you aren't lacking for material or adventures!

Your sense of enthusiasm and fun, not to mention your sense of humour, just radiate through this journal and it was exciting to live it all vicariously. Of course, having met you twice now, I can see why.

Happy trails and many many more years of adventure ahead of you, Skyring. I look forward to future tomes!

Journal Entry 41 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Thanks for the kind words. I cleaned up this draft and published it on Lulu a couple of months later. The second half of the book is a bit slow, and it all gets confusing when talking about two different trips, but I'm not going to bring out a second edition. I've been back to New Zealand three more times since writing the book.

Yes, there are more books in the pipeline. Finding time to write is tricky - I drive a cab for twelve hours a day. This is to fund my travel habit.

Journal Entry 42 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, April 26, 2007

Skyring's draft was passed to me by jessibud this past weekend at the 2007 convention in Charleston. Started reading it Saturday night at the hotel. Skyring, you really are a lot of fun. This is a great read.

Now I want to know what to do with this text after I read it. Since it is a preliminary draft and by now the finished book can be purchased, should this draft end its journey with me??? Do you want it back???

photo taken very close to my home in Tucson

Journal Entry 43 by skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, April 26, 2007

A little piece of BookCrossing history. One of them came back to me, so I've got a copy. The Lulu edition is the real deal, some major differences, a lot of errors caught.

Journal Entry 44 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 26, 2007

I'd love to see this copy keep on travelling - that'd get my vote anyway...

Journal Entry 45 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

(picture taken in Charleston, SC. BookCrossing Convention 2007)

I'll be passing this little gem over to another BookCrosser, tempestans, who I get to meet in person this week when she will be in Tucson. (I think we actually met briefly at the Charleston convention in 2007, but there were so many new faces...)

This first draft of Skyring's book is as much a love story as a travalogue of a 20-year anniversary trip to New Zealand. It is packed full of warmth and wit, and his unabashed passion for both BookCrossing and his family is contagious and heartwarming, in turn.
His descriptions of New Zealand, and of the special BookCrossers he met there (whose names are as familiar now as family), really tempt me to consider making the long trek over for the 2009 convention. (I am not a good traveller -- hate airports and jet lag and the fear of getting lost -- but...)

Thanks, Skyring, for sharing so much of yourself in this book !
This is the one book on my shelf tempestans has asked for, so look for a new entry soon.

Journal Entry 46 by tempestsans from Canton, Georgia USA on Thursday, April 24, 2008

whoo hoo! this gem was handed to me over dinner by hotflash. am visiting on business in tucson and she kindly agreed to meet me for dinner and a margarita at a lovely place near my hotel even though we'd only met once and very very briefly just inside the doorway at the first night reception at the Charleston BC convention last year. we had a lovely dinner and i thoroughly enjoyed getting a chance to get to know her better. looking forward to more opportunities as i travel out here the rest of 2008.

will be reading this lovely item soon and then looking for an opportunity to get it into the hands of other bookcrossers. this is one that has been on my cliff's wishlist since i first created one so it's nice to have it in my hands!