corner corner The Beet Queen

The Beet Queen
by Louise Erdrich | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 4/11/2004

status (set by linguistkris): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, April 11, 2004

Time to purge! Wanted to re-read this, but there are so many books and so little time.

Mailed 6/6/10.

Journal Entry 2 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Thursday, June 10, 2010

Received safely in the mail today, as a surprise RABCK! Thanks!

1998 Harper Flamingo trade paperback of the 1986 NYT Bestseller second novel by the part Ojibwa Native American author. Cover art, diffferent from the icon attached to this same ISBN, is by Joe Geshick, also an Ojibwa. This was on my list of past bestsellers to read, when I entered it last week as an alternate selection for a RABCK. I was delighted to receive it in addition to my main choice!

I can let this go after I read:
1984 Love Medicine [read 2010]

Reserved for linguistkris who will be in need of commute reading material after arriving in San Francisco from Austria come September.

Edit October 6, 2010: This turned out to be a sort of sideways sequel to the prior book. Well done, but a bit unexciting. Beyond the first few chapters, not much really happens over the lives of these characters as they age. Like the prior book, we see the various family members in widely spaced snippets throughout throughout their lives, from each of their varying points of view at different points.

Journal Entry 3 by eastbaybookmisr at San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/7/2010 UTC) at San Francisco, California USA

... in a bag-o-books for linguistkris.

Journal Entry 4 by winglinguistkriswing at San Francisco, California USA on Thursday, October 21, 2010

While I had never heard of Erdrich before, I started reading up about this book a bit following eastbaybookmisr's recommendation, and this appears to be an American classic not to be missed. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by winglinguistkriswing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What a beautiful, beautiful book. I quite fell for Erdrich with Love Medicine, but this was truly a worthy follow-up. This isn't quite as disjointed as Love Medicine, although Erdrich still tells a mosaic of a story by jumping from narrator to narrator and across decades with each chapter.

This is the story of Argus, a small North Dakota town that will eventually rise to prosperity and relative fame with the sugar beet, told from the points of view of town's butcher's extended family. Attentive readers will also catch a few references to people and events from Love Medicine, but this is a stand-alone book that you don't have to have read any other Erdrichs for.

What I loved best were the distinct tones for each narrator, which again feel extremely authentic, and the perceptive and finely detailled depictions of small-town live and (no matter how dysfuntional) family interactions. I wonder how much research went into this, but Erdrich's vision of Depression era rural America felt extremely realistic to me, almost magical elements like the pilot Omar included.

Journal Entry 6 by winglinguistkriswing at OBCZ Café Scherbe in Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, June 13, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (6/13/2011 UTC) at OBCZ Café Scherbe in Graz, Steiermark Austria

Beim Pfingsmontags-Meetup in der Scherbe.

----------------------------------------------
Hallo! Du hast also ein Buch gefunden, das bei Bookcrossing registriert ist! Wenn Du hier eine kleine Nachricht schreibst, weiß ich, dass es gefunden worden ist. Vielleicht hast Du auch Lust, mich wissen zu lassen, wie Dir das Buch gefallen hat und was Du als nächstes damit machen möchtest? Bookcrossing ist eine Plattform, die die "Wanderwege" von Büchern beobachtet -- anonym, kostenlos, garantiert spamfrei und ohne weitere Verpflichtungen!

Vielen Dank und viel Spaß mit dem Buch!