corner corner Myths to Live by

Myths to Live by
by Joseph Campbell | Religion & Spirituality
Registered by jblueafterglow of Coquitlam, British Columbia Canada on 4/10/2004

status (set by anaisabelaldana): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jblueafterglow from Coquitlam, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, April 10, 2004

What is a properly functioning mythology and what are its functions? Can we use myths to help relieve our modern anxiety, or do they foster it? In Myths to Live By, Joseph Campbell explores the enduring power of the universal myths that influence our lives daily and examines the myth-making process from the primitive past to the immediate present, returning always to the source from which all mythology springs: the creative imagination.

Campbell stresses that the borders dividing the earth have been shattered; that myths and religions have always followed the certain basic archetypes and are no longer exclusive to a single people, region, or religion. He shows how we must recognize their common denominators and allow this knowledge to be of use in fulfilling human potential everywhere.
---> Back of Book

Journal Entry 2 by jblueafterglow from Coquitlam, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I enjoyed this, but not as much as I expected to. Full of interesting, and very clearly presented, information, but much of it, for me, was dull. I felt like he gave a shout-out to me when he mentioned Maui's taming of the sun, which I had researched and presented for a myth class a couple of years ago.

I especially enjoyed the astronomy sections, about seeing Earth from varying distances as space travel ventures farther into the unknown. Well, partially unknown, right Joe?

Rocket-ship Earth.

Journal Entry 3 by jblueafterglow at -- Wild, somewhere in Tulalip in Tulalip, Washington USA on Friday, September 09, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (9/10/2005 UTC) at -- Wild, somewhere in Tulalip in Tulalip, Washington USA

Stopping to shop on the way to Seattle. Myths will be found in one of the following two places: 1) on a bench, or 2) not on a bench.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, September 19, 2005

Still had no time to read.

Took thi book with me to Netherlands. Will leave it to be found near Amsterdam.

CAUGHT IN NEAR SEATLE, SHOPPING MALL WASHINGTON USA

Journal Entry 5 by anaisabelaldana from Noordwijk, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 28, 2006

this book will continue its journey right away to give more acknowledge to the rest of the world...enjoy it!!!