corner corner The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios

The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios
by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Cordelia-anne of Someplace, Georgia USA on 10/10/2018

status (set by Cordelia-anne): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Cordelia-anne from Someplace, Georgia USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018

I really enjoyed Martell's LIFE OF PI. So I was game for this book when it crossed my path. I've had it for a while now and it seems I am not going to read it. Off it goes to the next reader. I CAN recommend LIFE OF PI. I don't know about this book.

Amazon Editorial Review

Here are four unforgettable stories by the author of Life of Pi. In the exquisite title novella, a very young man dying of AIDS joins his friend in fashioning a story of the Roccamatio family of Helsinki, set against the yearly march of the twentieth century whose horrors and miracles their story echoes. In "The Time I Heard the Private Donald J. Rankin String Concerto with One Discordant Violin, by the American composer John Morton," a Canadian university student visits Washington, D.C., and experiences the Vietnam War and its aftermath through an intense musical encounter. In "Manners of Dying," variations of a warden's letter to the mother of a son he has just executed reveal how each life is contained in its end. The final story, "The Mirror Machine", is about a young man who discovers an antique mirror-making machine in his grandmother's attic. The man's fascination with the object is juxtaposed with the longwinded reminiscences it evokes from his grandmother.

Written earlier in Martel's career, these tales are as moving as they are thought-provoking, as inventive in form as they are timeless in content. They display that startling mix of dazzle and depth that have made Yann Martel an international phenomenon.

Journal Entry 2 by Cordelia-anne at Dancing Goats Coffee in Decatur, Georgia USA on Friday, October 12, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (10/12/2018 UTC) at Dancing Goats Coffee in Decatur, Georgia USA

Hello! You've received this book from bookcrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the bookcrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. Bookcrossing is free to join and confidential. Tell us anything you'd like to share about this book.