corner corner The Sometimes Daughter

The Sometimes Daughter
by Sherri Wood Emmons | Women's Fiction
Registered by Aisling78 of Essex, Massachusetts USA on 8/14/2018

status (set by Aisling78): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Aisling78 from Essex, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Book description: In this poignant and beautifully written novel, Sherri Wood Emmons, acclaimed author of Prayers and Lies, explores the complex bond between a daughter and her errant mother…

Judy Webster is born in a mud-splattered tent at Woodstock, just as Crosby, Stills, and Nash take the stage. Her mother, Cassie, is a beautiful, flawed flower-child who brings her little girl to anti-war protests and parties rather than enroll her in pre-school. But as Cassie’s husband, Kirk, gradually abandons ’60s ideals in favor of a steady home and a law degree, their once idyllic marriage crumbles.

Dragging Judy back from the Kentucky commune where Cassie has taken her, Kirk files for divorce and is awarded custody. When Cassie eventually moves to an ashram in India, Judy is grief-stricken. At school, she constructs lies to explain her unconventional home-life, trying desperately to fit in to the world her mother rejected.

Cassie calls and writes, occasionally entering Judy’s life just long enough to disrupt it. But little by little, Judy is growing up. As she grapples with her father’s remarriage and her own reckless urges, she encounters all the joy and heartbreak that goes with first love, first loss, sex, drugs, and self-discovery. And when Cassie comes home again, Judy, who has tried so long to find a place in her mother’s life, must finally decide what place Cassie claims in hers…

Journal Entry 2 by Aisling78 at Essex, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018

"I was born at Woodstock." From the very first line, I was immediately pulled into this simultaneously heartbreaking AND heartwarming story of a young girl, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes Webster, as she yearned for love, attention, and stability from her erratic, absent mother Cassie. As Judy grows up and struggles to navigate her tenuous relationship with Cassie, the effects of Cassie's parental abandonment has effects on the choices Judy makes as a teenager.

This was a beautiful, sad, yet ultimately hopeful story about mother-daughter relationships, friendships, finding oneself, understanding, and forgiveness.

To whomever comes across this book next, please consider making a journal entry here on Bookcrossing so we know this book has found a new home. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, we always encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. (You’ll receive an email anytime someone makes a journal entry). It's fun, FREE, and confidential. This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, though we would love for you to share it. If you pass it along, please consider making either a release note here on Bookcrossing to let others know where you left it “in the wild”, or a journal entry if you gave/sent it to a friend.

I do hope you enjoy this book, and I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've had a chance to read it!
Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Aisling78 at Belcher Street Little Free Library in Essex, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/14/2018 UTC) at Belcher Street Little Free Library in Essex, Massachusetts USA

This book was released in the Little Free Library on Belcher Street in Essex, MA.

Welcome to the Belcher Street Little Free Library! Please borrow a book; that’s what they are here for. There is no need to return the same book, but feel free to replace it sometime with a book (or several) that you’d like to share. We hope to keep this Little Free Library stocked with a steady - but ever changing - supply of books for all ages and reading appetites.

We'd love it if you would let us know what you thought of this book by leaving a journal entry or sending us a message on our Facebook page, and if you choose to log in your find on Bookcrossing.com, we would be able to follow this book’s journey even after it's left your hands.

Happy Reading!