corner corner MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror (Meg)

MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror (Meg)
by Steve Alten | Horror
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/10/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 10, 2018

I got this revised-and-expanded-edition paperback at the Book Cellar, for another release copy.

Fond as I am of tales about gigantic, ravenous undersea creatures, I have to say that this book didn't thrill me. Oh, there were some dramatic scenes here and there, but even for a "beach read" the plot and characters were thin, predictable, and not terribly involving, and the finale struck me as rather ludicrous. [The fact that whenever a character talked about "Meg" I thought of the oldest sister from "Little Women" added a certain amusement but didn't help my impression of the book {grin}.]

The whole thing looked very much like a novelization of a not-that-great movie, with nearly all of the focus on setting up spectacular maimings and other special-effects scenes... Come to think of it, in the right hands the basic story might make a halfway-decent action flick - or at least one that would be lots of fun to laugh at, MST3K-style! [I wrote that when I first read the book, over a decade ago; I'm pleased to see that there's now a 2018 film adaptation, which looks like good cheesy fun!]

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book and its sequels, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Boston Youth Hostel OBCZ in Boston, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 10, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (8/10/2018 UTC) at Boston Youth Hostel OBCZ in Boston, Massachusetts USA

I left this book on the swap-shelves in the hostel on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.

*** Released for the 2018 One Word Title release challenge. ***