corner corner Sector General

Sector General
by James White | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/4/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, August 04, 2018

I got this softcover from Better World Books. I'd enjoyed a couple of other "Sector General" books, including Hospital Station, and went looking for more from this series about a huge interstellar hospital where the staff has to be able to treat beings of many shapes, sizes, and needs.

This book includes "Accident," a flashback story showing how Sector General came into being - a peace-keeping initiative thought up by the two survivors of the last major war. "Survivor" is another case-study from current time, featuring Conway in an attempt to save a badly wounded sole survivor who's from a species new to the hospital - lots of challenges here, from basic communication to figuring out which bits are actually damaged and which are supposed to be like that. "Investigation", from which the cover-art is taken, deals with similar issues but under more stressful conditions: our heroes are on an alien planet with slow-moving but deadly lifeforms closing in on the wrecked craft whose survivors the medics are attempting to save - if only they can figure out how they're supposed to function. And "Combined Operation" pits our heroes against one of the largest patients they've encountered so far - something that's hundreds of meters long and that has been placed into a huge, spiral-shaped ship in individual segments. The ship was damaged and the segments separated, and now if the being is to survive our heroes must figure out how to reassemble it - a problem in engineering as well as medicine. Lots of fun all around!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 56 Middlesex Tpke in Burlington, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (9/13/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 56 Middlesex Tpke in Burlington, Massachusetts USA

I left this in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]