corner corner My Planet: Finding Humor in the Oddest Places

My Planet: Finding Humor in the Oddest Places
by mary roach | Humor
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/2/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018

I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Durham NH while dropping off some books of my own. I love Roach's humorous take on various non-fiction topics, from dead bodies to sex to the digestive system; this collection of her humorous articles in "Reader's Digest" looks entertaining!

Later: Lots of fun here, though some of the entries are a bit thin. But many of them made me laugh out loud, and I'm glad I gave the book a try. There's a column on being organized, as in whether or not to make to-do lists and how addicting they can be; among the tidbits there: a friend tried to convince her that "the adjective listless derived from the literal definition 'having no lists'".

Many of the columns have to do with differences of opinion and/or personal style between Roach and her husband Ed, who has proven, in her other books, to be a very good sport indeed. Here, they sometimes continue to differ and sometimes work out agreements, whether it's over what to call the new Roomba ("Reba") or how to arrange furniture in their new place (they got as far as cutting out life-sized paper silhouettes of sofas and such, and then wound up sitting together on the paper cutouts and pitching rejected paper furniture into the fire - sounds cozy!). One of my favorite him-vs-her columns had to do with the care and feeding of the dishwasher; seems Ed's a wash-dishes-before-putting-in-dishwasher while Mary's a let-the-dishwasher-do-its-job. Her compromise? She lets him fill the dishwasher with the dishes he's just washed - and if she needs to put some actually dirty dishes in the dishwasher she takes his contributions out and puts them in the cupboard, since they're already clean! (Yeah, some of the columns have a kind of "I Love Lucy" vibe to them {wry grin}.)

I also liked the column on paint colors, featuring the often-poetic - and non-helpful - names given by the paint companies: "Because Wyndham Cream sounded so lovely, we bought the little jar of it, as well as a jar of Asbury Sand, Crowne Hill Yellow, Hathaway Peach, and a couple of others. Only when we got them on the wall did we recognize the colors for what they actually were: Caulk, Jaundice, Band-Aid, and Cheap Drugstore Foundation."

And then there's the Ed-vs-Mary bit on birdwatching: she does, he doesn't. On having spotted a tree full of colorful birds she wanted to let him know: "'Cedar Waxings!' I yelled. 'St. Louis Cardinals!' Ed yelled back." [He was watching a game, of course.]

And there's more. Nothing too deep, but entertaining!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 31 Cross St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/16/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 31 Cross St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it! (One or two of the essays refer to toothbrushing and flossing habits, so a release at this LFL outside a dentist's office seemed appropriate.)

[See other recent releases in NH here.]