corner corner The Wizard's Daughter

The Wizard's Daughter
by Barbara Michaels | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tara-K of Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 3/31/2004

status (set by pinkozcat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by tara-K from Oegstgeest, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 31, 2004

With her silver-gilt curls and sea-green eyes, Marianne Ransom was a striking beauty, a spirited orphan surviving the backstreets of Victorian London. But there was something more that set her apart... She possessed the gift of second sight, a power that initially awakened in her when a twist of fate brought her to the opulent home of a wealthy Duchess. It was there that the ghostly presence of her own father, a man renowned for his psychic powers, called to her from beyond. But soon her magnificent surroundings--and her own powerful abilities--become a perilous trap, as Marianne discovers that knowing too much can be deadly...

Journal Entry 2 by Jehanne from Terneuzen, Zeeland Netherlands on Thursday, December 09, 2004

This came with the mail, this afternoon. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thank you for sending it! I hope you'll get to read the trade (in Dutch) some day....

January 11th 2006, I'm going to send this book to AnnevO. She really wanted to read this. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 12, 2006

This book arrived today as a gift from 1972Galadriel, who took it from the Dutch sci-fi and fantasy relay. Thanks Gala, and thank you Jehanne for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 4 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, June 18, 2006

This book will be send to catsalive after I've finished reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 11, 2006

This is a very fine read. It has romance, history, the occult, intrigue... The book will start its journey to Australia next week.

Journal Entry 6 by AnnevO at on Monday, November 13, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (11/13/2006 UTC) at

Have a safe journey to the other side of the world, little book, and arrive in catsalive's hands shortly!

Journal Entry 7 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, November 20, 2006

That was a quick trip. Thanks AnnevO. I've noticed those Christies travelling about a bit.

Journal Entry 8 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, January 26, 2007

I thought it would be more wizardly but it's actually a gothic-style romance. Not a bad read though.

Journal Entry 9 by catsalive at A fellow BXer in Aussie Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 01, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (2/1/2007 UTC) at A fellow BXer in Aussie Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Off to minnie

Journal Entry 10 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Received this book from catsalive today.

Many, many thanks. Barbara Michaels is one of my favourite authors in disguise and I am looking forward to reading this book which had escaped my vigilant searching for her books

Journal Entry 11 by wingpinkozcatwing from Claremont, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 09, 2007

Oh, dear!!!!!

Barbara Michaels (Barbara Mertz AKA Elizabeth Peters) has certainly become a better writer than she was when this small offering was written. It is a bodice ripper of the most unexciting kind - and the heroine actually DID have her bodice ripped at one juncture of the narrative (to quote Tom Lehrer).

I read the first half, skimmed the rest and read the last few pages. It was first published in 1980 and was probably one of Barbara Mertz's very early books.

Not a book which I would recommend even though she is my favourite author when she writes as Elizabeth Peters - excepting for a few of (once again) her early books. A pity !

Journal Entry 12 by wingpinkozcatwing at Napoleon Street in Cottesloe, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (3/13/2007 UTC) at Napoleon Street in Cottesloe, Western Australia Australia

On a bench in Napoleon Street