corner corner The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAramenawing of Moore, Oklahoma USA on 3/31/2004

status (set by Cinel): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Duplicate copy found at thrift store. Sending to pulpmode who had it on her wish list.

Journal Entry 2 by pulpmode from West Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, April 02, 2004

THANK YOU, CASSEYTARA! I just received The Lovely Bones in the mail and am so excited to read it. I've been wanting to read it for months now...just have to find time to relax with a good cup of coffee and crack it open. Thank you again for offering to send me one of my wishes! What a treat!
peace,
-Terri (aka Pulpmode)

Journal Entry 3 by pulpmode from West Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, May 03, 2004

I just finished reading The Lovely Bones and I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I don't normally read fiction, but since this book got so much attention on Bookcrossing I wanted to see what the hype was about and I'm glad I did. I was delightfully surprised by the author's writing style, the perspective from which the story is told (by a murdered girl) and the author's ability to allow the reader to get to know each of the characters so well. In my opinion the story was well told and kept me interested and wanting to know what happens next.

I also want to give a big THANKS to CASSEYTARA for sending me the book because it was on my wish list. Thanks again, Casseytara...I really enjoyed this book

I plan to release it into the wild this week.

peace

Journal Entry 4 by pulpmode at 225 South 6th Street (US Bank Tower) in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Released on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 225 South 6th Street (US Bank Tower) in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA.

Releasing The Lovely Bones in my company's lunchroom on the Bookcrossing table. Hope someone catches, reads and makes a journal entry. Enjoy the book!
peace

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I have heard so much about The Lovely Bones that I just couldn't pass up the opprotunity to read it when I saw it laying there.

I am realeasing it back into the wild where I found it in hopes that others here will enjoy it as much as I did.

Thank you for sharing!

CAUGHT IN MINNEAPOLIS MN USA

Journal Entry 6 by pulpmode at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet (please use controlled release) in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, June 24, 2004

Released on Thursday, June 24, 2004 at Mailed to another Bookcrosser in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA.

After searching the wish lists (thanks to Cliff) this book is being sent on to the following bookcrossers who wish to read it:

1) KATALIROB in Atlanta GA
2) WAREAGLE78 in Hoover AL
3) CRAZYNESS in Cecil WI
4) BREWSKICHAN in Ontario Canada
5) CRANKYDRAGON in Orlando FL
6) GAYSOCIALWORKER in Alburqueque NM
7) CAROLYN81 in Germantown MD

If the other Bookcrossers I e-mailed about reading the book respond to me, I will add them to this list.

Note to all: We each read at our own pace so there is no need to worry about passing this book on very quickly..there's no deadlines for anyone. This is not a "bookray" - just a list of other Bookcrossers who wish to read this book at some point in the future.

Thanks everyone for participating and enjoy the book...remember too to leave a journal entry.

Peace

Journal Entry 7 by katalirob from Columbus, Georgia USA on Monday, June 28, 2004

Thanks for the book, but, unfortunately, I will have to pass it on without reading it. I was not aware that this was a book ray (maybe I just didn't read the PM properly), and I won't be able to read this book soon enough as I have a lot of summer reading to do for my literature class. Thanks anyway. I'm sending it off to wareagle78.

Journal Entry 8 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2004

This book arrived in Alabama on Saturday 7/24. I've already started it -- really different!

Will journal again when finished. Thanks, pulpmode, for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, July 31, 2004

This was a unique and facinating story. Told from the point of view of a murdered middle-school aged girl, it recounts the story of her heaven and her continuing ties to her life on earth. Susie watches as her sister and brother grow up, as her friends and acquaintances react and learn to live with the reality of her murder. She watches the police unable to solve her murder, the effects that has on her parents, and watches the murderer himself.

Yet far from being gruesome, it is thoughtful and caring, and a wonderful read. Thanks, pulpmode, for sharing!!! It will be on its way to the next reader as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 10 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Thursday, August 05, 2004

This book went in the mail to BREWSKICHAN today, as Crazyness had and took another opportunity to read the book.

Journal Entry 11 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 12, 2004

Thanks, I received this in the mail today. I will hopefully get to it very soon and then pass it on to another Wishlister,

Journal Entry 12 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 18, 2004

I didn't really mean to start reading this since I was in the midst of two other books, but I made the mistake of reading the first couple of pages. Once I read a few pages, I couldn't put this book down.

The author has a writing style that kept me turning page after page and left me wanting more when I finished. I will definitely have to read more of Alice Sebold's work.

Thanks again to pulpmode for sharing this book with me and the rest of the wishlisters.

Journal Entry 13 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 22, 2004

Well the third try was a charm...crankydragon and gaysocialworker already obtained The Lovely Bones elsewhere, but carolyn81 still wants it so it will be heading out very soon!

Aug/24/2004:
Mailed today

Journal Entry 14 by carolyn81 on Friday, September 03, 2004

Received in the mail a few days ago, and will be reading asap! Thanks brewski and pulpmode and all others who have shared this book :)

Journal Entry 15 by carolyn81 on Sunday, September 26, 2004

Hmm, usually my reviews are pretty short, but I want to say more about this book.

I found The Lovely Bones to be entertaining, which is really all I ask of a book. In its good moments it was touching, and often riveting.

However, it was certainly not without its faults. Two words: overly cheesy. I grant that in a book about death and grieving, some cheesiness is inevitable, but there was a bit too much of it in this book. I feel bad saying this, but I have to say it: at times, it even approached (but never quite reached) romance-novel trashy.

In a way I like the concept of the book, being written from the perspective of someone deceased, but Sebold's vision of heaven and the relationship between the living and the dead are rather too Hallmark-y for me.

The book reminds me of the saying: "Everything in moderation." If this book had been written with more moderation, it would have been much better. I just think the author was careless sometimes. And when she was careless, I felt disappointed.

I don't want to end my review on a negative note, so I want to say that, in spite of its flaws, I did enjoy the book, and do think it's worth reading.

And with that... I'm not sure if there's anyone after me on the bookray. I see that katalirob had to pass up the book, so I will ask her if she's interested. I'll make sure she gets it regardless of whether or not there are other people on the bookray list.

Journal Entry 16 by carolyn81 on Wednesday, April 13, 2005

edit: book will be sent to Cinel. cinncat response pending.

Journal Entry 17 by carolyn81 on Monday, April 25, 2005

Mailed out today.

Journal Entry 18 by Cinel on Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Thank you so much for sending this book Carolyn. It's next on my list to read! It sounds like a great read.