corner corner The Snow Child: A Novel

The Snow Child: A Novel
by Eowyn Ivey | Literature & Fiction
Registered by peacemonger84 of Fairbanks, Alaska USA on 5/28/2018

status (set by kitgriff): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by peacemonger84 from Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Monday, May 28, 2018

Blurb for the back:
Alaska 1920s: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart-he struggling to maintain the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone-but they glimpse a young girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel come to understand this child, who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they begin to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent territory, things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform them all.
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>
This is a wonderful book by a local author in Alaska. Her "retelling" of the "Snow Child" fairy tale is wonderful. It has a feel to it like it should be considered as an actual fairy tale. Eowyn mixes the reality of life back then along with the magic of the original fairy tale into one spellbinding novel.

**Offered as a bookring 5/28**
1. mcsar in Canada (US shipping)
2. j4shaw in USA (US shipping)
3. mepotter in USA (international shipping)
4. kitgriff in Canada (international shipping)
5. Delphi_Reader in Greece (international shipping)
6. estelle1806 in Ireland (international shipping)
9. Return to Peacemonger

Journal Entry 2 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, June 29, 2018

Thank you for sharing the book on the bookring. The book looks promising. I will read soon and get it going again.

---------------------------
Updated July 7, 2018

Excellent book. I enjoy this very much and would love to read more from this author. The book is magical and I like how the fairy tale and reality are interwoven in the story. The environment of Alaska is harsh yet alluring and is an integral part of the story.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmcsarwing at Next reader, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 13, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (7/13/2018 UTC) at Next reader, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Going to J4shaw. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Monday, July 16, 2018

Arrived safely in Boise, ID this morning.
Thanks for offering this as a BookRing peacemonger84 and also thanks to mcsar for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (8/7/2018 UTC) at Boise, Idaho USA

My Review:
Set in Alaska, this book took me on such a beautiful journey. I loved all of the characters and the author did a brilliant job of painting the landscape.
It actually took me quite by surprise how much it had me hooked - finally turning the light off at 3am the other night after not being able to keep my eyes open for the final 50 pages!
I really really enjoyed this book!
Thanks to those involved in it coming my way, and its now off to the next reader in the BookRing.

(I always add physical postage stamps to my packages. If you are not a collector yourself, check out the I collect postage stamps because... thread to find them a happy home.)

Journal Entry 6 by mepotter at Joshua Tree, California USA on Friday, August 24, 2018

My Review:I enjoyed the book, especially its descriptions of nature and human frailty in the face of it. Great characters. The lack of indigenous presence made me wonder how much longer that amnesia will haunt us.

It's off to kitgriff in Canada as of this afternoon (8-23).

Journal Entry 7 by kitgriff at Langley, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, September 02, 2018

Just got this in the mail yesterday!! Can’t wait to start reading it.