corner corner The Persian Pickle Club

The Persian Pickle Club
by Sandra Dallas | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingbookfrogsterwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

status (set by teachie): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookfrogsterwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

This is a lovely story about a group of friends who belong to a quilting group and the hard times they support each other through. Hope this doesn't make it sound cheesy because it isn't. Similar style to Fried Green Tomatoes.

I plan to release this as a UK ray.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookfrogsterwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 02, 2004

I am releasing this as a book ray (UK only)

Names so far

Snoozle
LyzzyBee
AnglersRest
Teachie

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookfrogsterwing at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 05, 2004

Released on Monday, April 05, 2004 at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom.

Posted to mrsbridgewater as part of a UK book ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by mrsbridgewater from Holybourne, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Arrived this morning - will read it as soon as possible and pass it on to Ragtimebabe.

Journal Entry 5 by mrsbridgewater from Holybourne, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 11, 2004

This is similar in stylt to Fannie Flagg's books, but without as much depth. Still it was an enjoyable read. I shall be passing it on to ragtimebabe.

Journal Entry 6 by ragtimebabe on Saturday, April 24, 2004

an enjoyable read, the twists keep you page turning, but in a gentle way! Not deep, but nicely evocative of its time & setting
Will be posting to rainbow3 asap

Journal Entry 7 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 04, 2004

My Postie just delivered this into my eager hands. "[An] endearing story that depicts small-town eccentricities with affection and add dazzle with some late-breaking surprises. Dallas hits all the right notes, combining an authentic look at the social fabric of Depression-era life with a homespun suspense story." Reads the back of the book and on the inner jacket - "It is the 1930ies, and hard times have hit Harveyville, Kansas, where the crops are burning up and there's not a job to be found. For Queenie Bean, a young farmwife, the highlight of each week is the gathering of the Persian Pickle Club(named after a favourite cloth pattern) a group of local ladies dedicated to improving their minds, exchanging gossip, and putting their well-honed skills to good use."

Hum "favourite cloth pattern" is rather vague, but I expect it refers to a print pattern rather than a patchwork, piece pattern or a quilting, stitch pattern? I shall read it and find out! The pale Paisley print on the book jacket reminded me of some floral 'sprigged' print fabric clothes I once saw in the wonderful Smithsonian Museum, Washington City. These garments were made up out of flour sacks! During the depression manufactures used any technique they could to attract customers. Some dresses, petticoats and camisoles were displayed. What was particularly poignant about them was the stamped product numbers visible on some of the fabrics, that careful laundering had not managed to eradicate. It couldn’t help one wonder if there was a social stigma attached to the wearing of such clothes for some while others might wear them with a sense of pride at the accomplishment of ‘making do’! Just seeing these clothes really gave me a flavour of the lives of the people who had made them. Remembering that really sets the scene for my reading of the Persian Pickle Club.

Journal Entry 8 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Whoa, just finished reading this and it was fun! Ran through it fast. It was a delightful tale, a window onto tough lives and strong friendships in a hot dusty beleaguered community. In addition a lurking mystery. I could almost hear the insects chirruping and screen doors slam. Oh yes, and a special delight to me, mention of bleached sugar sacks being used for a quilt background, but the writing still being visible on them. I wish the next reader as much enjoyment as I have had. Awaiting contact details to send to dizzydormouse.

Journal Entry 9 by dizzydormouse from Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim Ireland on Wednesday, June 30, 2004

To be read

Journal Entry 10 by dizzydormouse from Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim Ireland on Saturday, July 03, 2004

Read the first couple of chapters, but it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it from the radio play.

Bad to pin expectations onto a book from a play I know, but I just couldn't settle down to the pace - Maybe it's because my recreational reading life has suddenly altered so much (snatching bits here and there - mostly while travelling) but I found ittoo slow for what I'm after at the moment - kept forgetting details and having to flick back.

Sorry guys!

& on to Laura0141 it goes!

Journal Entry 11 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 12, 2004

Received safely this morning. I hope to begin reading soon - possibly today.

Journal Entry 12 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Beginning this book today.

Journal Entry 13 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 18, 2004

Oh, what a wonderful book! The characters are full-blown, the plot subtle and engaging and the language draws you in and on to a beautiful conclusion! This is the best piece of women's fiction I've read for a long time.

Journal Entry 14 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 18, 2004

Will post to wistfuldragon tomorrow.

Journal Entry 15 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 23, 2004

Safely arrived!
Due to a major calamity with Mts Toobie Red and Toobie Registered, I haven't the foggiest idea what I should be reading after my current book. So Persian Pickle Club wins! Hope there aren't any other ring books in the pile with cheesed-off next recipients!

Journal Entry 16 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Oh, what a wonderful little book! Told by Queenie, you get to see what is important to her, which really draws you into this gentle story. I love the interactions between her and her husband, and the love and support shown between the friends. The country 'manners' intrigue me as well - especially as the 'townie' isn't told where she is falling short, as you don't talk about things that everybody knows! The suspense part wasn't very important to me, as to be honest I'd figured what was up fairly early on, but to my mind that 'hook' was just an excuse to introduce us to these people - for which I will be forever grateful.
Will post onwards tomorrow (didn't have time to sort out an envelope this morning).

Journal Entry 17 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, July 30, 2004

Arrived today, thank you Wistfuldragon.

Journal Entry 18 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, August 29, 2004

Enjoyable tale with a nice twist along the way. It is well written and depicts the place and time very well. Rather them than me is all I can say, what a hard life it must have been. The PPs make the freemasons look like pussycats!

Journal Entry 19 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, September 06, 2004

I received this on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed reading it over the weekend. A breath of fresh air (well, kind of dusty actually ;) and a glimpse into a world of hard times, strong friendship and community spirit. It's a nice escape to occasionally read a book where the main characters are good and fair, and even the ones who seem a little mean are just misunderstood, or end up redeemed through their actions. I am intrigued to see from a previous journal that there is a radio play version, so I will have to keep an eye out (or an ear!) for that, as well as the author's other book, Buster Midnight's Cafe. I also almost wish I could quilt, it sounds lovely :) And as an afterthought, it would be great to get some of the old recipes they mention. Thanks to bookfrogster for the chance to read this!

Journal Entry 20 by sueb4 from Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Quickly borrowed from ermintrude75's shelf while she was waiting for the next ring recipient to get in touch... a lovely little book, very light and enjoyable, and an amusing whodunit! Might look out for the author's other book. Sorry to gatecrash the ring :)

Journal Entry 21 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Just to confirm I still have the book and it's ready to continue as soon as I hear from Moondreamer :)

Journal Entry 22 by Moondreamer from Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 18, 2004

Arrived safely, thank you. Sorry for long delay in journalling; the package fell behind a collection of books (what else!) and has only just re-surfaced.

Journal Entry 23 by Moondreamer from Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 25, 2005

Apologies for my delay in reading this; a lot of non-book life has crammed itself into the last few months, and I wasn't thinking straight about passing it onwards.

I thoroughly enjoyed this; a beautifully written quick and easy read, but I found myself lost in the world created of hard times, quilts, cameraderie, loyalty and always food and practical help supplied to Persian Pickle Club members who are in difficulty. Nothing was presented sensationally though; I felt the PPC members just accepted life as it presented itself. I thought that the relationships between the different women and men were depicted extremely well, reflecting a range of marriages (and the occasional 'association'). The tale of the 'drifters' was also fascinating as evoking the hardship and desperation, as well as the mystery which stitched itself gently through the 'real' story.

I must quote this bit:
"Reading's all right, I suppose, but with quilting, when you're done, you have a quilt. When you finish with a book, you don't have anything."

Much from this book will stay with me.

I am sending this on to kangaroo tomorrow.

Journal Entry 24 by Moondreamer from Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2005

I got completely confused as to who was having this next - it will be kangaroo, and I'm taking it to the Unconvention on Saturday in Birmingham to hand to her, since the Post office and I don't seem to frequent the same places at the moment...

Sorry for delay.

Journal Entry 25 by kangaroo from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2005

Oooh, this looks interesting.

Journal Entry 26 by kangaroo from Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, August 01, 2005

And interesting it was too. I've been reading it over the last few days, thinking it was so-so, but last night the (for me) completely unexpected twists rendered it an unputdownable book! Tired today, why yes I am.

Thank you for the chance to read this.

It was interesting to find out more about quilts as well; I didn't realise there were lots of named patterns and designs.

Will be moving on once I've got the next person's address.

Edit 27 Aug
*cough* Sending this today. Sorry for the delay - this thing called work got in the way!

Journal Entry 27 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Just to let everyone know this arrived safe and sound this morning at work, perfect because i'm on my own at work atm.

Journal Entry 28 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, September 08, 2005

I really enjoyed this book especially the twists at the end. An enjoyable and short book :)

Journal Entry 29 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 24, 2005

Thanks Shelbycat this arrived safely this morning :o)

Journal Entry 30 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 27, 2005

Oh dear, I didn't realise I'd kept it so long, sorry.

A lovely book. Quite a gentle story but full of hope for love, friendship & trust. Interesting how the patchworking sessions were such an important part of their lives - I read another book a while ago by, I think, Carol Shields, which also had patchwork quilting central to the story (just checked it was her book "Happenstance".)

I can't think of anything in UK society that even compares to it, can anyone else?

Thanks bookfrogster. Off to Lyzzybee tomorrow (sorry snoozle I did try for weeks to get hold of you :o/ )

Journal Entry 31 by ziggythecat from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, December 02, 2005

Luckily I have failed miserably to get to the post office this week (tried once but was forced to withdraw by my screaming 3 yr old!) and today snoozle reappeared, yay, so the address has been rewritten & the bookring should be back underway on monday.

Journal Entry 32 by Snoozle from Richmond, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I read this book super-fast to make up for my temporary absence from bookcrossing which held this bookring up a little (sorry!). Well, I also read it fast because it was such a lovely little book, you really felt immersed in Queenie Bean's world and the characters were excellent. I more or less worked out the mystery quite early on, but somehow that didn't spoil the book.

Journal Entry 33 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Recieved in a very late parcel post (4pm!) today - luckily I realised it was a BookRing and not a present or Not So Secret Santa and opened it up.

I'm halfway through Precious Bane (spooky book) and my other ring is my Liz-And-Matt read so will start this over the next couple of days...

What a lot of venerable and well-known readers have gone before me, by the way. I know nearly all of them! Hello *waves*

Journal Entry 34 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, December 26, 2005

Gentle in the telling, this is a sweet book, centred around a quilting circle who are more than just good friends. Plenty of period and stitching detail and twists and turns, and lovely characters you can care about.

I know the next person's address already so will send on when the PO is open again!

Journal Entry 35 by LyzzyBee at on Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (12/28/2005 UTC) at

Posting to anglersrest today

Journal Entry 36 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, December 29, 2005

Arrived today to a Devon where the temperature is minus 9, brrrr!

Thanks LyzzyBee.

Journal Entry 37 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 31, 2006

This bookring arrived at the end of December. I was snowed under with bookrings; their like buses and all arrive at once! I started this and found the first 50 pages or so a bit slow. Well, I started again yesterday afternoon and have just finished it.

Its a beautiful story set during the 1930s in America, money is tight and there is limited amounts of work. The Persian Pickle Club is a small group of town women who meet and stitch. Its a story of friendship, kindness and loyalty.

Thanks so much for sharing, I loved it.

Now to PM Teachie.

Journal Entry 38 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, February 12, 2006

In the post to Teachie tomorrow - 13th Feb.

Enjoy, its a great book

Journal Entry 39 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Thanks AnglersRest arrived today. As this is a ray and I am the last I don't feel rushed to read it. I am about to read Crosstitch, so it may be a while before I journal this.

Journal Entry 40 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 25, 2006

What a wonderful story with a nice gentle twist at the end. This gives an insight into the lives of people during the Depression era and how the small rural communities looked after each other. I will not wild release this book because I want to know that it is going to another Bookcrosser, so shall take it with me to the Unconvention, if it isn't asked for first.

Journal Entry 41 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2006

This is going to Katybean. She won it in the BCUK Bookswap.

Journal Entry 42 by katybean from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 01, 2006

Just to let you know that the book arrived safely this morning - many thanks Teachie!!

Wow, I would never have guessed from the condition of the book how much travelling it has done already!! It looks new!

I will journal again when I've read it, looks a great read!

Thanks for sharing

Katybean

Journal Entry 43 by katybean from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 23, 2006

I took this book on holiday with me (Hayling Island) and managed to get it read along with 3 others LOL!!

The book told a lovely story, and the plot had me going wondering 'whodunnit' - I didn't guess.

Wonder if these 'groups' still go on?? I would like to have known where their neighbours went to as they seemed like nice people.

Thanks for sharing, I'll make sure it goes to another new home soon!

Journal Entry 44 by katybean at Posted within the UK in to a bookcrosser, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 14, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (8/14/2006 UTC) at Posted within the UK in to a bookcrosser, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

This is now on it's way to Starry, as she 'won' the book in a game of bookswapping on the bcuk extra site!

Enjoy - I did!
Katybean

Journal Entry 45 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, August 18, 2006

Thanks very much Katybean, arrived this morning and looking forward to reading it.

I promised teachie I would send it back to her afterwards for her October bookclub so this is going on top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 46 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 04, 2006

For the most part, I enjoyed this gentle little story, the period detail felt authentic and I liked the strong community that existed in the book. The characters frequently surprised me (in a good way) and the quilting information was fascinating. I was disappointed by the "mystery" though, particularly the reveal. It didn't feel right somehow. But then who cares about the mystery when you have a such a great cast of characters. Oh, and I also like the rhythm of the narrative and the speech.

Will be on its way back to teachie shortly.

Journal Entry 47 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thanks starry this was waiting for me when I got back from Spain. I am sure my bookclub will enjoy this as much as I did the first time round. I shall enjoy reading this again.