corner corner Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks

Curl up with a good book!

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks
by Annie Spence | Humor
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/26/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018

I got this hardcover after reading this Book Threat review. Subtitled "A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life", this looks like a very entertaining book!

Later: Definitely lots of fun, especially for the bits on books I've loved or hated. The librarian's-point-of-view blends with that of the book-loving reader, and the old-style-card-catalogue embellishments are fun too.

The entries are mainly in the form of notes from the librarian to a specific book, sometimes as a breakup note (for an out-of-date book on "Fun and Games with Your Pocket Calculator" she opens with "You are REALLY not getting out much these days"), sometimes as fanmail (the entire oeuvre of Agatha Christie, tagged "Ladies, Old 'N' Sassy), as love letters (Time Traveler's Wife: on a re-read, "I fell in love all over"), and more. There's the "you broke my heart" response to The Giving Tree (I was pleased to see that her reaction to that bizarrely popular children's book matched my own, the amusing note to The Yellow Wallpaper which the author encountered in the (yellow-wallpapered) room at a B&B (!),

Some entries deal with the results of making a recommendation to a library patron that didn't turn out well - apologies to the book! Then there's an extracurricular event, a party in which the author finds herself scanning the host's decorative bookshelves in the vain hope of finding something actually readable. There's an entry on To Kill a Mockingbird in which the author admits to never having actually read it, and vows to correct that - if only so her sister, who adores the book, won't kill her next time they talk {wry grin}. Oh, and the section "I'd Rather Be Reading," with "excuses to tell your friends so you can stay home with your books". And good books with bad covers (she doesn't care for movie-tie-in covers either). And much more!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Fieldstone Dr in Westford, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (7/21/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Fieldstone Dr in Westford, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this lovely day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]