corner corner Room

Room
by Emma Donoghue | Literature & Fiction
Registered by WormyOne of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on 4/29/2018

status (set by WormyOne): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by WormyOne from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2018

I bought this from the Oxfam bookshop in Brighton, to read while travelling in Borneo - and leave behind when I've finished it.

The blurb reads:

"Jack is five. He lives in a single, locked room with his Ma".

I've seen the film of this story and thought it was fantastic. I know this will be a tough read in places.

Journal Entry 2 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, June 22, 2018

This is a stunner. Some friends say they couldn't face reading it but the way the subject matter is handled is so clever. In telling the story from the point of view of a five year old, Emma Donoghue, has found a way to make it bearable without sanitising it. I did a lot of crying throughout the second half and adored Steppa, who never had kids yet is a natural with Jack.

(By the way, I rarely enjoy both a book and its film adaptation. This is an exception. The film is also brilliant, by the way, and has only a few plot alterations.

The film does omit one significant nuance which I suspect the filmmakers left out for reasons of prurience, or at least fear of public prurience. It makes me sad and angry that it's OK to deal with rape, kidnapping and all sorts of other horrors but not this).

Journal Entry 3 by WormyOne at Threehouse B&B in Kuching, Sarawak (Kuching) Malaysia on Friday, June 22, 2018

Released 4 wks ago (6/22/2018 UTC) at Threehouse B&B in Kuching, Sarawak (Kuching) Malaysia

On the table by the kitchen.