corner corner Death at the Old Hotel: A Bartender Brian McNulty Mystery (Bartender Brian McNulty Mysteries) (signed by the author)

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 23, 2018

This book was given to my by the author at the 2018 Kensington International Day of the Book street festival. I hope to read this book and then circulate it among fellow members of BCinDC, my local BookCrossing group. I have read and enjoyed books by this author before. Thank you so much for sharing this book with all of us at BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, April 23, 2018

As it turns out, this was the book I received by this author in 2008. I was thinking that I hadn't read this one yet. No problem. I have other members of my BookCrossing group whom I think will be very happy to read this book.

Here's the link to my previous review that I wrote in 2008.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Wheaton, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (7/21/2018 UTC) at Wheaton, Maryland USA

I'm passing this book around the members of BCinDC, my local BookCrossing group, in hopes of helping the author who kindly gave me this book have this book reviewed by our readers. Thanks for your help!

----------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 22, 2018

I was willing to bring this one home because reading a book set in a hotel is one of the items on a reading challenge for this year that I am participating in.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, September 24, 2018

I am likely not the target audience for this book, but I was willing to give it a try to fulfill a prompt for Stina's Challenge 2018, because of the setting in a hotel. Definitely more of a hard-boiled, masculine vibe than I go for.

Brian McNulty is an Irish bartender in the big city, as well as a divorced father of a teenager, and a bit of a lost soul. He is willing to believe in his friends, sometimes knowing that it may be more than they deserve, and willing to lend a helping hand doing who knows what. When a strike at the hotel is followed by the murder of the manager, Brian as strike leader and his friends and fellow strikers are the suspects. The mob is backing the union leaders and the union leaders are screwing the employees and the cops and the mob are willing to get violent if it gets things done. There is profanity and random brutality and drug use and lechery. I suppose the mystery aspect of the story was decent, although I was distracted by the other elements. The characters weren't unlikeable, but they also weren't anyone I'd want to hang out with, except perhaps the stray cat. All of which explains why it took me so long to read such a relatively-short book.