corner corner The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/14/2018

status (set by B-dizzle): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, April 14, 2018

I got this softcover at a local Goodwill shop's "by the pound" sale, for another release copy.

What a strange, unusual story... I enjoyed the different story-lines connecting through time, somewhat reminiscent of Cloud Atlas, and was enthralled with the drama and horror of the opening sequences, the accident and its aftermath. I did find Marianne Engel (whose name struck me as a truly groan-worthy pun, but I don't know if it was intended that way) hard to take - not just for her frighteningly intense obsession, which made more sense as the storylines were revealed, but because even at her best she seemed distant and uncomfortable. I know she wasn't there to please me (why am I hearing Frankie from "Rocky Horror" saying "I didn't make him for you"?), and her odd ways did seem to help pull our hero out of himself, but it wasn't comfortable reading.

And perhaps it wasn't supposed to be; one of my favorite quotes was this one from the narrator, trying to describe love: "...a tiny, jittery primate with eyes that are permanently peeled open in fear. For those of you who cannot quite picture a pygmy mouse lemur, imagine a miniature Don Knotts or Steve Buscemi wearing a fur coat." Now there's a romantic image!

Intriguing, offbeat, memorable.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at New Hampshire Community Technical College, 505 Amherst St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, April 22, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at New Hampshire Community Technical College, 505 Amherst St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in side a gazebo on the west side of the main college building; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Journal Entry 3 by B-dizzle at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, April 28, 2018

The weather was great this past Thursday, so I decided to eat lunch outside. I noticed this book sitting by itself in the gazebo, so I picked it up to investigate. Turns out it was waiting for someone like me to find it! I read the back cover and it seemed interesting, so I picked it up.